Metrolinx is recommending the DRL to be extended north to Sheppard:

c. The options to address Yonge Subway capacity in the long term were compared and assessed i. The Relief Line between the Danforth Subway and Downtown, currently under study by the City of Toronto and TTC, will provide significant relief to the Yonge Subway and Danforth Subway
ii. The extension of the Relief Line to north towards Sheppard Ave East will provide additional positive benefits

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/board_agenda/20150625/2015-06-25_Yonge_Relief_Network_Study.pdf

Did they consider a Don Mills LRT (north of Eglinton) as an alternative?

Interesting that Metrolinx is willing to offer a $3.5 billion estimate for Danforth-Downtown, but city staff have been instructed to keep mum on a potential price-tag.

Very interesting results here. This study seems to confirm that Metrolinx is at least looking at northeast extensions. With the North Yonge extension dropping down the priority list, and SmartTrack's Eglinton leg likely to be chopped (it doesn't make much sense), this could be a prime situation for diverting those funds towards a SmartTrack tunnel through downtown, and a SmartTrack/GO RER branch along a re-aligned Richmond Hill line. North of Lawrence, using the RH corridor would drop the cost of any northward extension dramatically.

It would make even more sense to have ST become the Richmond Hill/DRL line instead - it would also take away the issue of service overlap between the BD extension and ST. Markham would come out as the loser though, but with GO RER I am not sure if it matters.

AoD

It would make even more sense to have ST become the Richmond Hill/DRL line instead - it would also take away the issue of service overlap between the BD extension and ST. Markham would come out as the loser though.

AoD

No reason why SmartTrack has to have only 1 line. 2 branches in the east (Richmond Hill and Markham), 2 in the west (Bramalea and Woodbridge). Even without ST and just with GO RER, there will still be service overlap in Scarborough. But yes, ST does exacerbate it though.

The Don Mills Subway has always been something I thought we should build 20 to 40 years from now, but after reading this report I think we need to move forward with it ASAP. The line performs better than any other rapid transit proposal I've seen in this city.

No reason why SmartTrack has to have only 1 line. 2 branches in the east (Richmond Hill and Markham), 2 in the west (Bramalea and Woodbridge). Even without ST and just with GO RER, there will still be service overlap in Scarborough. But yes, ST does exacerbate it though.

In the long run you might need to twin the central tunnel - especially if you intend the line to run very frequent, subway like services all the way to the termini.

AoD

The Don Mills Subway has always been something I thought we should build 20 to 40 years from now, but after reading this report I think we need to move forward with it ASAP. The line performs better than any other rapid transit proposal I've seen in this city.
I think the report also sheds light on how much of Yonge's ridership (or of any subways) is from feeder routes.

Our illustrious city seems to disagree.

Did they consider a Don Mills LRT (north of Eglinton) as an alternative?

Or North of Bloor. It can run underground from Pape to Overlea, and then run in the median along Overlea, along Don Mills up to Eglinton and beyond.

I briefly looked at the report and curiously the term Smart Track wasn't used once that I could see.

They made lots references to GO RER and even enhancing it but not ST. Until they come to terms with the real issue that differentiates GO from ST, meaning the same fares as TTC, then this study is useless.

I also have to say that the policy wonks at Metrolinx are pretty damn insulting to Torontonians and Tory with this plan. Tory was not voted in on, nor doesn't have a mandate, to put money into a DRL. Besides Ford, there was only one real issue in the last campaign.............transit. Tory was very explicit with his ST program and got support from across all regions of the City so he has the mandate to spend funds on that NOT a DRL. He was also very specific that ST would be a TTC fare and GO RER has no such guarantees except vague promises about fare integration which can mean anything from complete TTC fares or a 10 cent reduction.

This study should be filed away and collect dust like all the other DRL studies. Tory has no mandate from the people to put precious transit funds into a DRL but he does have a mandate to put money into ST.

Considering how everyone bitches about politicians never keeping their promises, Tory is right to move forward with ST instead of funds for a DRL He promised ST not a DRL and for those who continually complain about lying politicians, they should support Tory to actually do what he promised.

To be fair, the Don Mills subway hasn't been proposed to the people of our illustrious city. I'd expect the public to be very enthusiastic about this proposal if it were to go mainstream.
They're not even willing to let Don Mills & Eglinton go mainstream, so I won't hold my breath

If jo
I briefly looked at the report and curiously the term Smart Track wasn't used once that I could see.

They made lots references to GO RER and even enhancing it but not ST. Until they come to terms with the real issue that differentiates GO from ST, meaning the same fares as TTC, then this study is useless.

I also have to say that the policy wonks at Metrolinx are pretty damn insulting to Torontonians and Tory with this plan. Tory was not voted in on, nor doesn't have a mandate, to put money into a DRL. Besides Ford, there was only one real issue in the last campaign.............transit. Tory was very explicit with his ST program and got support from across all regions of the City so he has the mandate to spend funds on that NOT a DRL. He was also very specific that ST would be a TTC fare and GO RER has no such guarantees except vague promises about fare integration which can mean anything from complete TTC fares or a 10 cent reduction.

This study should be filed away and collect dust like all the other DRL studies. Tory has no mandate from the people to put precious transit funds into a DRL but he does have a mandate to put money into ST.

Considering how everyone bitches about politicians never keeping their promises, Tory is right to move forward with ST instead of funds for a DRL He promised ST not a DRL and for those who continually complain about lying politicians, they should support Tory to actually do what he promised.

You're being sarcastic, right?

You think that ST should be build, regardless of what the reports say?

Back