the first phase of the DRL can be absorbed by another expansion at the Wilson yard IIRC. I think people forget about the ridiculously huge amount of space that Wilson has to expand.

Another benefit of committing to the DRL long version is that there are sites around Thorncliffe Park that could work well for a subway yard, including in the hydro corridor to the south of the CP tracks as well as the light industrial area to the north of the tracks.

A DRL where only the section south of Danforth was built would face challenges for finding a good yard site.

(Of course, the DRL long could still be built in phases. It's just that the phase containing the yard needs to be built first.)

Yes, this is an excellent idea which had crossed my mind a few times. Instead of a complicated wye at Broadview or Pape to connect with B/D and a Greenwood Yard, a new yard could be built in the Thorncliffe area. The DRL may end up a standalone line, but if there's an opportunity for cost and time savings it may be worth it.

The TTC owns a huge amount of vacant land adjacent to the Wilson Yard lands. The yard isn't anywhere near capacity.

For those who are wondering why the TTC wants a new yard even have though Wilson has capacity, it's because it's very difficult to get trains to/from Wilson Yard to the Yonge Line. It's a 15 to 20 km trip. And Davisville is at capacity.

The Relief Line would face the exact same problem Yonge has in regards to distance from the yard, assuming the RL is served by Wilson. The situation would be made worse in the likely scenario that there is no direct rail connection between Line 1 and the DRL (the track geometry and nearby buildings may make a connection expensive or impossible).

Last edited by a moderator:
The Relief Line would face the exact same problem Yonge has in regards to distance from the yard, assuming the RL is served by Wilson. The situation would be made worse in the likely scenario that there is no direct rail connection between Line 1 and the DRL (the track geometry and nearby buildings may make a connection expensive or impossible).

Perhaps this is an argument for that other relief line.

AoD

The Sheppard west extension to Spadina Line, aka North York Relief Line. If you are building DRL long to Sheppard, you would be able to use it to feed the DRL. Don't know if the economics would work necessarily, but if a new, dedicated yard prove costly it might be a desirable option.

AoD

Last edited:
The Sheppard East extension to Spadina Line, aka North York Relief Line. If you are building DRL long to Sheppard, you would be able to use it to feed the DRL. Don't know if the economics would work necessarily, but if a new, dedicated yard prove costly it might be a desirable option.

AoD
I'm an advocate of Sheppard East extension to the Spadina Line. A strong transit network needs contingency and it needs connectivity. It also makes the useless stub of the line into something worthwhile. The economics might not justify it on its own but sometimes when planning transit there is more important things like providing opening new and different transit and commuting options to passengers.

However, I am unsure if it would aid with relief too much necessarily. Wouldn't more people transfer from the Spadina line to Yonge than would Sheppard passengers choosing to bypass Yonge for Spadina?

Oh the "relief" moniker is from Pasternak, which is utter nonsense - but in the stated scenario there would be a reasonable justification for the extension.

AoD

However, I am unsure if it would aid with relief too much necessarily. Wouldn't more people transfer from the Spadina line to Yonge than would Sheppard passengers choosing to bypass Yonge for Spadina?

Let's say I am coming downtown (i.e. King) from Vaughan, or York U. Would I stay on Spadina for a continuous ride downtown, or would I get off at Downsview and transfer to Sheppard, then get off Sheppard and transfer to Yonge, then take the Yonge line downtown.
- 0 transfers vs. 2.
- a seat on Spadina train vs. squeezing onto a packed Yonge train.

I know which one I would choose.

Let's say I am coming downtown (i.e. King) from Vaughan, or York U. Would I stay on Spadina for a continuous ride downtown, or would I get off at Downsview and transfer to Sheppard, then get off Sheppard and transfer to Yonge, then take the Yonge line downtown.
- 0 transfers vs. 2.
- a seat on Spadina train vs. squeezing onto a packed Yonge train.

I know which one I would choose.

Ah, but if you have Sheppard as an extension of the DRL (instead of as a separate line, which would incidentally save having to build an interchange station at Don Mills), there is a pretty good chance you'd choose DRL if your destination is at eastern end of the core (which in all likelihood will be an emergent centre). Plus you'd finally put an end to all that Sheppard stub navel gazing for good.

AoD

Last edited:
I don't know how operations go to/from Wilson, but the Spadina line gets really congested in the evening, and I always assumed it was trains getting shuffled in and out of Wilson. Any truth to that? Would the Sheppard extension west help?

Steve Munro has reported that they're already having issues getting trains out of Wilson in the morning on schedule. Further expansion seems to be a non-starter.

Hence why the Yonge North extension is supposed to include a supplementary yard in Thornhill.

Steve Munro has reported that they're already having issues getting trains out of Wilson in the morning on schedule. Further expansion seems to be a non-starter.

Hence why the Yonge North extension is supposed to include a supplementary yard in Thornhill.

Or expand the Sheppard line west to Downsview and the Wilson Yard.

With the comment about expanding Wilson to feed a DRL, I wondered just how much more service you could feed out of Wilson.

Though aren't there new connections just being finished between Wilson and Downview which would allow them to feed more service northbound out of the yard?

Or expand the Sheppard line west to Downsview and the Wilson Yard.
Given that it's about $50 million per kilometre of subway tunnel (not including power, track, etc), and $200 million per subway station, with only 4 km of track needed, the cheapest option would be for non-revenue track from the current end of non-revenue track at Welback to Downsview.

Though I'd think the more likely scenario is that the DRL would have a connection into Greenwood Yard, and that there'd be an additional yard constructed on the Bloor-Danforth line.

Though I'd think the more likely scenario is that the DRL would have a connection into Greenwood Yard, and that there'd be an additional yard constructed on the Bloor-Danforth line.

If you are building the DRL in phases, that arrangement could serve in the interim when the line hasn't been extended all the way yet.

AoD

Back