DRL doesn't even have a route and due to being a completely new piece of infrastructure with the needed consultations and endless environmental reviews even if they got the cheque today it wouldn't see a shovel in the ground for at least 5 years.

ST is simply a system that makes better use of existing corridors. They already know the route, basically where the stations will be, have the land, ROW, and the political mandate. there will be some future study of course but some of the line could start going out to tender right away. Kennedy, Mount Dennis, and Union are obvious stations that will have to be upgrades/expanded but due to already having new stations being built, no environmental reviews and very little consultation will be needed and of course same goes for Union. Electrification of the entire corridor could be put out to tender tomorrow.

DRL is a completely new line with all the problems that entails while TC is simply the improvement of a line that already exists.

Somebody has to show some sanity here. Pray tell, how is the number of likes on social media relevant to transit policy?

Actually, insanity vis-a-vis noise-making seems to be the modus operandi to transit policy of late.

On a more serious note, ST isn't the solution by a long shot, but it/RER buys some time to get the DRL engineering and routing studies done.

AoD

Last edited:
DRL doesn't even have a route and due to being a completely new piece of infrastructure with the needed consultations and endless environmental reviews even if they got the cheque today it wouldn't see a shovel in the ground for at least 5 years.

The corridor and preferred stations have been under study and are likely to be finalized soon. A transit EA has a timeline of 6 months. I think if there's anything holding back the relief line, it's political backbone and engineering design work.

The corridor and preferred stations have been under study and are likely to be finalized soon. A transit EA has a timeline of 6 months. I think if there's anything holding back the relief line, it's political backbone and engineering design work.

Actually what I am curious about is how the presence of ST/RER provides an opportunity to optimize the alignment of the DRL, particularly in the DT/shoulder area, vis-a-vis local demands and interchanges with the broader network.

AoD

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 474
Your loop?

If all of this hubris is because traffic at Park Lawn and the Lakeshore is stupid, you're taking the long way round to solve the problem. How about just having the City agree to not approve any more condo buildings down here until a full traffic study has been done. (to my knowledge, there has never been a proper traffic study done on Lakeshore-Park Lawn). How about restoring the traffic lanes on Lakeshore East at the Humber, which the City removed so that the curb could be moved northwards, because there wasnt quite enough land to build said condo's the way the developers wanted them?

I'm not convinced we even need a WLRT out here, we just need the current 501 trackage from Sunnyside to Park Lawn improved and much better measures put in place to the east so that 501/504 speeds and capacity are improved. The relief line can terminate at Liberty, giving 504 riders the choice of continuing by surface to downtown, or getting on DRL to reach the Donlands, Danforth, or beyond.

- Paul
Wrong.

1) Residents have asked the city to put a moratorium on development - we have been told it is counterproductive and will result in lawsuits from developers.

2) Adding a lane to Lake Shore is fine and dandy, but the bridge across the Humber is one lane. You can't expand the bridge because the underground garage at Palace Pier is right next to it. Your narrative about developers is incorrect. Developers have actually asked for a parking lane there, but the city said no (hence the wide space between the street, sidewalk and buildings.

3) Yes, a WWLRT (or any sort of rapid transit improvement) is needed. The 501/504 are garbage routes that take 40 minutes to go from Roncesvalles to Spadina during peak periods. We're looking at improvements, not a return to the status quo which hasn't improved anything.

Again, because my fellow residents and I are demanding better transit, we're to blame? Because the city can't seem to get its shit together after allowing building after building to go up over the past 20 years and absolutely no plan to cater to residents trying to commute? This area has become a joke, because of the city and its lack of governance. And yes, given that there are very finite dollars available for transit, I view anything that benefits others vs. me as competition. It has come to that, because we can't even get a $15MM loop put at Park Lawn, but somehow we have billions to spend sending parallel heavy rail lines into eastern Toronto.

Actually, insanity vis-a-vis noise-making seems to be the modus operandi to transit policy of late.

On a more serious note, ST isn't the solution by a long shot, but it/RER buys some time to get the DRL engineering and routing studies done.

AoD

I've heard the Unliver site and its proximity as a gateway to the Port Lands will be vital in determining DRL routing as well as linking it to GO RER.

I've heard the Unliver site and its proximity as a gateway to the Port Lands will be vital in determining DRL routing as well as linking it to GO RER.

Could be even more important if the city decides to go forward with an Expo 2025 bid. The Portlands is considered the prime location for such an event, as every GO RER line potentially passing through the Unliver site. Some type of ROW streetcar from there into the Portlands could jump up the priority list.

Many of you are way too pessimistic. The data supports construction of the DRL and the project already has a significant number of proponents. At this stage it's a matter of mobilizing public support and opinion which will help spur greater political action.

Back