For comparison, Ottawa (less than 1/4 the population), is contributing $2.5 billion for Phase I and Phase II of the Confederation Line, to be complete by 2022. Yup, a City 1/4 the size will be putting more money into transit expansion. Waterloo Region is in the same boat relative to their population.

Do you have a source for this? Because ottawa.ca indicates that's not true:
The Confederation Line is a $2.1 billion project that is jointly funded by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario and the City of Ottawa. The Government of Canada is contributing $600 million through the Building Canada Fund. The City of Ottawa will also allocate up to $161.5 million of its federal Gas Tax Fund transfers to this project. The Government of Ontario is contributing up to $600 million. In addition, the City of Ottawa will allocate $287 million of Provincial Gas Tax receipts to the capital infrastructure. The remaining project budget funds will come from development charge revenues and transit reserves.

That sums to:
Federal: $762 Million
Provincial: $887 Million
Municipal: $351 Million

http://ottawa.ca/en/news/confed-line

Since apparently it is completely off limits to talk about any asian city because "blablabla brutal dictatorship", I'm sure Toronto has nothing to learn from some of the other evil nondemocratic backwaters such as...

Paris
View attachment 72784

Madrid and Barcelona
View attachment 72785

Los Angeles
View attachment 72786
View attachment 72788

And in the future:
View attachment 72787
Warsaw has also built a new subway line of similar length to the DRL that goes through it's downtown core and underneath a massive river that makes the Don River look like a complete joke.

"The contract for the construction of the initial central section of the second line, running east–west, was signed on October 28, 2009 and construction began on August 16, 2010." The line opened in March, 2015. Total of 6 years.

Do you have a source for this? Because ottawa.ca indicates that's not true:
The Confederation Line is a $2.1 billion project that is jointly funded by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario and the City of Ottawa. The Government of Canada is contributing $600 million through the Building Canada Fund. The City of Ottawa will also allocate up to $161.5 million of its federal Gas Tax Fund transfers to this project. The Government of Ontario is contributing up to $600 million. In addition, the City of Ottawa will allocate $287 million of Provincial Gas Tax receipts to the capital infrastructure. The remaining project budget funds will come from development charge revenues and transit reserves.

That sums to:
Federal: $762 Million
Provincial: $887 Million
Municipal: $351 Million

http://ottawa.ca/en/news/confed-line

The split was $600 million each from both the Feds and the Province, and $900 million from the City. It was originally a 1/3rds project, but the price tag increased from the initial plan, so the City was on the hook for an additional $300 million. Phase II is $3 billion, on again a 1/3rds split (http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa...es-1-billion-for-phase-two-of-ottawa-lrt.html). My math was incorrect in the original post, so I apologize for that. It should be $1.9 billion total from the City.

In general, I don't consider the transfer of gas tax revenue to be "federal" or "provincial" dollars. That's money that would have gone to the municipality anyway, and the City just chose to direct it towards that. It could have just as easily gone to local roads projects. I only consider federal or provincial contributions to be outside of what they would have normally spent.

Now that I thought about it more, Queen would be better as an underground LRT, that could branch above ground to Lakeshore/Queensway in the west and the Beach/Kingston Rd in the east (although the East may have to remain separate streetcar routes due to lack of source space).

The heavy rail DRL would be better on King/Wellington.

Now that I thought about it more, Queen would be better as an underground LRT, that could branch above ground to Lakeshore/Queensway in the west and the Beach/Kingston Rd in the east (although the East may have to remain separate streetcar routes due to lack of source space).

The heavy rail DRL would be better on King/Wellington.

The ship has sailed on a King alignment. It's Queen or bust. I for one am glad things have turned out this way.

Really, we should have underground rapid transit on both King and Queen if you ask me.

This would be like the situation in Nagoya, Japan (a city of equivalent size to Toronto) in it's downtown core. Take a look at the Yellow, Red and Blue lines:

Nagoya_Subway_Network.png

Distance between the Blue and Yellow lines = 1.47km (distance from Bloor to Queen = 2km)
Distance between Yellow and Red lines = 400m (distance from Queen to King = 400m)

Last edited:
Nagoya may have roughly the same population as Toronto, however, Nagoya has an area of 326.43 km2 (126.04 sq mi) compared with Toronto's 630.21 km2 (243.33 sq mi). Half the area with the same population. In other words, Toronto is sprawling.

Nagoya may have roughly the same population as Toronto, however, Nagoya has an area of 326.43 km2 (126.04 sq mi) compared with Toronto's 630.21 km2 (243.33 sq mi). Half the area with the same population. In other words, Toronto is sprawling.

Yep very very dense and with VERY few tall towers ... just like Tokyo (very short buildings compared to Toronto) but the density (in the 8-25) story range goes on for ever and ever and ever;

Really, we should have underground rapid transit on both King and Queen if you ask me.

This would be like the situation in Nagoya, Japan (a city of equivalent size to Toronto) in it's downtown core. Take a look at the Yellow, Red and Blue lines:

Distance between the Blue and Yellow lines = 1.47km (distance from Bloor to Queen = 2km)
Distance between Yellow and Red lines = 400m (distance from Queen to King = 400m)

Sadly, I don't think Canada has the capital wealth (or political will) to build anything nearly as extravagant as Nagoya's metro system. The time to have built the DRL really was 60 years ago when these things came cheap and eminent domain was king (before the rise of NIMBYs and special interests).

Sadly, I don't think Canada has the capital wealth (or political will) to build anything nearly as extravagant as Nagoya's metro system. The time to have built the DRL really was 60 years ago when these things came cheap and eminent domain was king (before the rise of NIMBYs and special interests).

What's funny about the NIMBYs is that one group of neighbours will want to have a station or rapid transit near them, but another group of neighbours will not.

Yep very very dense and with VERY few tall towers ... just like Tokyo (very short buildings compared to Toronto) but the density (in the 8-25) story range goes on for ever and ever and ever;

Yes, but we would be comparing Nagoya to Toronto's downtown core in this case.

Can't keep making excuses forever. Plus, Nagoya's metro system is 93 km long. Not exactly extravagant.

My own renderings of the possible phases for the Relief Line.

Phase one, from Danforth to City Hall.

WKLis Relief Line phase one.jpg

Phase two, continue north of Danforth to the Eglinton LRT.
WKLis Relief Line phase two.jpg

Phase three, continue north of Eglinton to connect with the Sheppard Subway. (Merging with and continuing on the Sheppard Subway to terminate at Yonge Street.)
WKLis Relief Line phase three.jpg

Phase four, continue west from City Hall to Exhibition Place.
WKLis Relief Line phase four.jpg

Phase five, continue from Exhibition Place to Dundas West and Bloor West.
WKLis Relief Line phase five.jpg

And then Phase six, connect with the Jane LRT at Jane & St. Clair West.
WKLis Relief Line phase six.jpg

Phase seven, could be the adding the Willowdale Station on Sheppard, unless the NIMBYs in the neighbourhood still object to it.

Attachments

• WKLis Relief Line phase one.jpg
    WKLis Relief Line phase one.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 508
  • WKLis Relief Line phase two.jpg
    WKLis Relief Line phase two.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 510
  • WKLis Relief Line phase three.jpg
    WKLis Relief Line phase three.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 480
  • WKLis Relief Line phase four.jpg
    WKLis Relief Line phase four.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 504
  • WKLis Relief Line phase five.jpg
    WKLis Relief Line phase five.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 505
  • WKLis Relief Line phase six.jpg
    WKLis Relief Line phase six.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
Your missing a lot on people and employment to serve Exhibition

Depends upon where an Exhibition Station would be located. If it were located where today's Exhibition GO Station is located today, it would be within walking distance of a lot of Liberty Village residents, based upon suburban walking distances. It all depends if we use "suburban" walking distances or "urban" distances.

Today's Exhibition GO Station should be considered as an alternative to the TTC to get downtown (if UNION were their destination), but likely most don't want to get off at UNION but further north downtown. Even though, UNION would still be within "suburban" walking distances.

Back