Why is there so much interest in saving a few houses? The DRL is more important for the greater good than 20 or even 100 houses.

Does anybody still care about the houses that were torn down to build the Yonge line 60 years later?

View attachment 77981

Exactly, thank you! They aren't even proposing a massive amount of demolition along said lines - clearly the pendulum should swing a little back towards high level thinking in city and not to treat SDH neighbourhoods as inviolate.

AoD

Last edited:
This is just a visual approximation of the footprint of the station box below grade at Queen and Pape (this is from Pape looking south) can they really do all this through mining without the need to make a cut? has that been done before in Toronto? they basically need to be under everyone's front yards and pretty close to some of the basement walls. how deep would this be? I would imagine these mature trees must have some really deep roots as well.

Seems a bit small. I thought it was deduced on the previous pages that Pape's width between property lines is 18m, but that the station box is 21m. With that the box wouldn't traverse the width of the street and a bit beyond, but rather up to the actual buildings themselves (or thereabouts).

Someone made a point about stacked tracks/stations, and I think that's actually an interesting idea. I'm not saying this in regards to "care" about SFD homes or heritage preservation, but rather for ease of planning/construction. If the footprint would be that much smaller, so too might the legal wrangling be.

Someone made a point about stacked tracks/stations, and I think that's actually an interesting idea. I'm not saying this in regards to "care" about SFD homes or heritage preservation, but rather for ease of planning/construction. If the footprint would be that much smaller, so too might the legal wrangling be.

I don't believe you can build stacked tracks/stations - unless you use cut and cover, usually as a way of lowering costs (e.g. Canada Line)- or larger bore TBM. Not sure how much additional benefit that would offer vis-a-vis the current proposal when it involves minimal surface involvement.

AoD

Why is there so much interest in saving a few houses? The DRL is more important for the greater good than 20 or even 100 houses.

Does anybody still care about the houses that were torn down to build the Yonge line 60 years later?

View attachment 77981
Let's say you own a house there, they will not expropriate your house this year as the DRL project has no funding. But you will need to live with the potential that one day in the next 5-10 years you might get a letter saying they will expropriate. Now let's say you needed to sell your house next year for whatever reason, how many good offers do you think you will get? how many buyers are interested in bidding on a house that might get expropriated, and if a buyer is good with that, what discount rate would they attach to that risk?
The uncertainty and the bad track record of the city has actual impacts on real people's lives, it's not about any sentimental attachments to some old houses on a tree lined street.

Let's say you own a house there, they will not expropriate your house this year as the DRL project has no funding. But you will need to live with the potential that one day in the next 5-10 years you might get a letter saying they will expropriate. Now let's say you needed to sell your house next year for whatever reason, how many good offers do you think you will get? how many buyers are interested in bidding on a house that might get expropriated, and if a buyer is good with that, what discount rate would they attach to that risk?
The uncertainty and the bad track record of the city has actual impacts on real people's lives, it's not about any sentimental attachments to some old houses on a tree lined street.

The house prices in the proposed areas probably jumped 10% just this week on the news that a subway stop might be on the corner someday. They will do just fine.

View attachment 77981

Good thing the properties back then didn't cost over a million bucks apiece. Today it is not feasible to build a subway like this.

Pape Ave residents have started a petition asking the mayor to reconsider an alignment that doesn't run below their street. The petition needs a whopping 100 signatures, as if that will make any difference.

I don't believe you can build stacked tracks/stations - unless you use cut and cover, usually as a way of lowering costs (e.g. Canada Line)- or larger bore TBM. Not sure how much additional benefit that would offer vis-a-vis the current proposal when it involves minimal surface involvement.

AoD

Montreal has a couple stacked stations I believe, and considering their depth I'm thinking it's possible they were mined from the surface (as opposed to an open station box). Though I'm not sure, so hopefully someone can fill me in. No doubt a stacked station is less optimal from a rider's perspective than a centre platform, so I guess it has that going against it.

x-section.gif

What's the definition of a mined station as opposed to cut and cover stations or Londonesque stations.
With a mined station, there's no dig-down from the surface, with the station created within the area inside the shoring walls. Somewhat over-simplified, but in mined stations, the same type of equipment that cuts into the earth to create mines for resource extraction would be used to carve out the platform space between the bored tunnels.

With a mined station, there's no dig-down from the surface, with the station created within the area inside the shoring walls. Somewhat over-simplified, but in mined stations, the same type of equipment that cuts into the earth to create mines for resource extraction would be used to carve out the platform space between the bored tunnels.

Nothing like an image or two showing what the process looks like - from the Confed line site:

http://www.ligneconfederationline.ca/gallery-lrt/construction/#bwg19/954

http://www.ligneconfederationline.ca/gallery-lrt/construction/#bwg19/925

AoD

Those same residents won't be complaining once their property value radically increases.
If my property value increases significantly faster than other parts of the city, my taxes go up faster! But I'm not planning to move again in this lifetime.

So I can see those same residents complaining vociferously! (doesn't mean that they should be paid much attention ...)

Back