Hi, My question for you is? Are they going to be using Toronto Rocket 2(second generation) for the relief line. Since it is going to take 8-10 years to build it. By that time comes there will be at least 50% more people in Toronto. So will their be 8 cars per train?

Last edited:
Platforms should be the same length (152 metres) but who knows what equipment they will use, or the actual train lengths.

Ridership is forecast taking population growth into account.

Too early to tell really ... if one is optimistic and it opens in the early 2030s, then there's two choices. One is that they'll include the line in the order to replace the T1 equipment. The other is the T1 replacement equipment will be used on Line 1, and the 6-car TR equipment will be used on Line 2 and the new Downtown line.

If it's the new T1 replacement equipment, we don't even know the car lengths. The talk is they want to use the entire 152 metre platform, instead of the current 6-car trains which are only about 138 metres long. But whether that means 7-car trains (about 22-metre long cars), 8-car trains (19-metre long cars), or 9-car trains (17-metre long cars - same length that Montreal uses, or Toronto originally used) is not yet clear. 6-car trains appear to be out though as I don't believe 25-metre long cars will around the curves.

Given they've been talking about this line, in this general configuration for over 50 years now (and in other configurations for 70 years now), who knows when it will actually be built, or what equipment it will use!

Given they've been talking about this line, in this general configuration for over 50 years now (and in other configurations for 70 years now), who knows when it will actually be built, or what equipment it will use!

While it's true that they've been "talking about" this line for 50 years, this round of planning is the first and only time it's been planned in complete detail, with significant funds committed. Other rounds of planning were completely conceptual in nature. Not that it negates anything you've said.

The problem is that to raise the Don Valley Parkway to a height that would not flood, would mean the raising, not one, but several bridges. And at a high cost. Unless we ban trucks and buses.

image.jpg

Honestly, I'm fine with this not going to Council again until 2019. 2019 leapfrogs the 2018 election, which makes it less likely the line will be used as a political football during the campaign. Save that BS for the Scarborough Subway Extension. As far as I'm concerned, the fewer times the RL goes to Council on its way to having shovels in the ground, the better. Less opportunities for Council to mess it up.

But if they project a 2031 opening, it'll be more like 2035 and be over budget. And you'd be lucky if it's not limited to the Pape to Osgoode stretch only with no extension in sight beyond that.

Can you link to a source for this?

Was stated live during the 6 o'clock news.

Thought this might be interesting. It relates to both the DRL and the Yonge subway extension but I'll just post it here.

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2017.EX25.1#.WRJrs7J-Dms.linkedin

Source: https://twitter.com/FurryRiderI/status/862116244673110016

wow ....

City Council request the City Manager to work in partnership with the Chief Executive Officer, Toronto Transit Commission, and Metrolinx to develop an initial business case for the Relief Line North, as an extension of the Relief Line South alignment described in Recommendation 1, and report to City Council in the first quarter of 2018 with a preferred alignment and station locations.

So after this - its Q1 2018 for relief line north alignment and preferred stations.

This is ideal timing. Relief Line Long/Relief Line North alignment and preferred stations will be coming to Council before both 2018 elections.

Back