Am I the only one that cringes when news outlets call it the "Downtown" Relief Line? I understand that this was the term at the beginning, but why aren't they using the new name?

Because the Pape-Carlaw-Eastern-Queen Line is too much of a mouthful?

In all seriousness though, there shouldn't be any shame in denoting it the DRL. It's descriptive and to the point. Whenever people hear the Relief Line the first question they'll ask is "relieving where?". It's like we're trying to invent a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

If we can have a "Scarborough Subway Extension" and "Etobicoke-Finch West LRT" in this city, we can acknowledge "Downtown" in the title of a new subway that is majorily alleviating the core.

In all seriousness though, there shouldn't be any shame in denoting it the DRL. It's descriptive and to the point. Whenever people hear the Relief Line the first question they'll ask is "relieving where?". It's like we're trying to invent a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

If we can have a "Scarborough Subway Extension" and "Etobicoke-Finch West LRT" in this city, we can acknowledge "Downtown" in the title of a new subway that is majorily alleviating the core.
Toronto Relief Line.

But downtown has enough subways.

Am I the only one that cringes when news outlets call it the "Downtown" Relief Line? I understand that this was the term at the beginning, but why aren't they using the new name?
Yep, I think its only you.

The relief line is along Sheppard between Yonge and Dufferin :)

The long version can be very reasonably called "Don Mills Line" or "East York Line".

Naming the short version (to Danforth only) is harder. Eastern Bypass Line? That doesn't really click ..

The Relief Line has terrible marketing.

We need to market it as taking buses and congestion off of roads in the suburbs, and as North York and Scarborough's subway line.
Maybe if they would lower the cost - and extend it to Seneca College, they could give it a different name.
Going only to Pape station will not help those from Scarborough or North York that much - Assuming those going to Dundas, King, or Union will not use it.

I don’t like the “Relief Line” name. It doesn’t properly convey the other benefits of the line.

How about “Yonge Relief and East End to Downtown Express Subway that runs along Don Mills Road Line”?

I don’t like the “Relief Line” name. It doesn’t properly convey the other benefits of the line.

How about “Yonge Relief and East End to Downtown Express Subway that runs along Don Mills Road Line”?
How about “Yonge Relief and East End to Downtown Express Subway that will run along Don Mills Road Line just like Sheppard Line extends into Scarborough and to STC”?

Back