What does it take to get things happening in this city ! In Asia they move mountains to get things done.

In (parts of) Asia you could have your home demolished at any time with near zero input on both the infrastructure plan and tax policy, and little compensation for loss of your home.

Also, not all of Asia is the same. Manila, for example, doesn't get in the top 10 for worst traffic in the world year after year after year due to their rapid Metro expansion.

Last edited:
Reactions: jys
Any idea on what the DRL/RL would actually get as an official name? Also, if the RT is gone at that point, would they reuse the number 3 for the line, or leave a gap and just have line 6? I can't think of any other city in recent memory that's closed an entire line....

Any idea on what the DRL/RL would actually get as an official name? Also, if the RT is gone at that point, would they reuse the number 3 for the line, or leave a gap and just have line 6? I can't think of any other city in recent memory that's closed an entire line....
Line 3 - Relief Line.

Isn't it more or less confirmed that Relief Line is a placeholder name?

It will be called Line 3. Informally, it might still be referred to as the Relief Line, or perhaps the Queen subway.

Or hopefully, the Don Queen subway when it goes further north. :)

As I said numerous times earlier, I prefer the Don River Line.

The original acronym is retained and the route roughly follows the Don River.

Regardless, I would like to see that subway line cyan in colour and be called Line 3.

There is no shortage of engineering talent or capacity to dig. It only takes will. I think we want to see three or four projects under construction at once. Or as @torontologist has suggested, we may need to appeal to a higher power to get to work.

God have mercy on subway commuters in this city if the politicians don't get behind the Relief Line.

This is why the northern extension is so vital for buy-in.

We need to convince North York voters and politicians that the Relief Line is actually a North York subway line.
And looking at a map of a line connecting to Don Mills station how would that be hard?

What does it take to get things happening in this city ! In Asia they move mountains to get things done.
The best way to get the DRL up to Eglinton would be to have a connected and grade-separated ECLRT/SRT.
In 2012, Toronto Council voted to kill (or at least greatly defer) all plans to build the DRL medium or long.
Now I'd say the best option is to find cost reductions so that the subway can be built to Eglinton for the cost estimate already provided.

Berlin Wall construction started August 13, 1961. Berlin Wall fell November 9, 1989.

28 years, 2 months, 27 days.

Today, January 8, 2018 has been 28 years, 1 month, and 30 days since it fell. So come February...
1f914.png

And we're still waiting for any kind of "Queen Street Subway". :mad:

The best way to get the DRL up to Eglinton would be to have a connected and grade-separated ECLRT/SRT.
In 2012, Toronto Council voted to kill (or at least greatly defer) all plans to build the DRL medium or long.
Now I'd say the best option is to find cost reductions so that the subway can be built to Eglinton for the cost estimate already provided.
Umm...hmm. Toronto City Council has had a thing or two to say in the intervening six years.

Financing aside...

1. RL Short is on the city’s short list.
2. RL Long is on Metrolinx’s short list.
3. The city and Metrolinx are working together on the project as a whole.
4. The province allocated $150M to advance the planning to something like 70% stage.

The best option is for the senior governments to get their infrastructure act together and get shovels into the ground. Along with that Toronto City Council needs to put its big boy pants on and get taxing in the name of supporting transit infrastructure investment.

Now this is a fascinating idea.

I wonder if it would improve commutes of people on the Spadina line though, assuming that most of their trips have destinations around the Yonge-University loop.

I've been curious about the potential for a Spadina Subway for some time now. Once the DRL is complete, the 510 will be the most used surface route in the city. With streetcar ridership expected to double in the coming decades, along with enormous increases in Downtown employment and population, I struggle to see how the 510 can continue to efficiently operate. Furthermore, long term projections show that the University Line downtown will also face capacity constraints in the upcoming years; a Spadina Subway Line could act as a University Relief Line to a certain extent.

My two-cents is that the Spadina Subway Line should be built as an underground LRT line from Bloor down to Queens Quay, where the LRT would continue to Union Station on the existing infrastructure. The Relief Line would continue to the west end (as traditionally planned), intersecting the Spadina Subway at Queen & Spadina.

This is why the northern extension is so vital for buy-in.

We need to convince North York voters and politicians that the Relief Line is actually a North York subway line.

I eagerly await the Liberal election platform, to see if it includes DRL North. Any word on when we can expect it?

Back