At least build the stations with the provision for them, like Sheppard. But who knows... you could end up with a fiasco like Vancouver's Canada Line which was built with stupidly short platforms to save money.

True, though the more we upsize the higher the cost will be - and cost is a barrier to project approval, of all things. Clearly there should be a happy balance between Canada Line kind of cheap vs. Taj Mahaling the line, which isn't going to be cheap to start off with. Beware of scope creep!

AoD

Would really like to see platforms long enough for 8 car trains, perhaps seems unecessary now but we will be thankful for that decission in the future.
Platforms should be built for 8 car trains if we expect ridership at every station to be the exact same.
In the real world, there are two options:
  1. Make platforms 8 (or even 9) car at key busy locations (major destinations and interchanges). The rest are 7 car. The trains themselves are 8 or 9 cars. At the 7 car stations, the last 1 or 2 cars do not line up with the platform, and the doors don't open. (This requires that pocket tracks and storage accommodate larger trains).
  2. Make the stations at key busy locations (major destinations and interchanges) have 3 platforms for improved passenger flow. Other station would have only 1 centre, or 2 side platforms.
Both of these concept use the philosophy that money should be spend where it is more required, and not on every station on the line.

Platforms should be built for 8 car trains if we expect ridership at every station to be the exact same.
In the real world, there are two options:
  1. Make platforms 8 (or even 9) car at key busy locations (major destinations and interchanges). The rest are 7 car. The trains themselves are 8 or 9 cars. At the 7 car stations, the last 1 or 2 cars do not line up with the platform, and the doors don't open. (This requires that pocket tracks and storage accommodate larger trains).
  2. Make the stations at key busy locations (major destinations and interchanges) have 3 platforms for improved passenger flow. Other station would have only 1 centre, or 2 side platforms.
Both of these concept use the philosophy that money should be spend where it is more required, and not on every station on the line.

Look at New York City, they built express tracks on almost every line running in Manhattan and on many lines in Brooklyn, queens and the bronx. It speeds up travel, incentivises people to use the subway, and was built for the future. They should at least build platforms the length of 8 car trains, and they should expand yonge line platforms if possible to 8 cars for the future. With longer platforms, capacity increases by 25%, and with fewer trains running on the line (which takes up space with CBTC).

The existing YUS platforms can handle 7 theoretically. It sounds like a reasonable figure for DRL to aim for. Second spending extra effort on platforms.

AoD

Look at New York City, they built express tracks on almost every line running in Manhattan and on many lines in Brooklyn, queens and the bronx. It speeds up travel, incentivises people to use the subway, and was built for the future. They should at least build platforms the length of 8 car trains, and they should expand yonge line platforms if possible to 8 cars for the future. With longer platforms, capacity increases by 25%, and with fewer trains running on the line (which takes up space with CBTC).
They will have to add more entrances/exits if the platforms are longer or else passenger flow will also be an issue (which it already is).

They will have to add more entrances/exits if the platforms are longer or else passenger flow will also be an issue (which it already is).

I can't wait to see how the engineering will work for the interchange stations in the core. They should take the opportunity to resolve the woefully inadequate mezzanine space for the existing YUS station (Queen, I am looking at you in particular)

AoD

I can't wait to see how the engineering will work for the interchange stations in the core. They should take the opportunity to resolve the woefully inadequate mezzanine space for the existing YUS station (Queen, I am looking at you in particular)

AoD

Inadequate in what sense? Is it overcrowded?

Inadequate in what sense? Is it overcrowded?

Overcrowded, lack of crush space, byzantine circulation patterns (particularly the pass-under) - and I can't imagine how it can interface with the DRL properly without some serious reworking of the station.

Unfortunately, I think the Yonge-Queen station will be somewhat like a T-arrangement. I can't find the display board online anymore - thanks to the utterly useless Reliefline.ca website:

http://reliefline.ca/the-project/meeting-materials-

Meeting Materials
To request presentations, consultation materials, staff reports and other project related materials, please email reliefline@toronto.ca.All materials noted below are also available upon request.

Like REALLY??? How much space did that material take up, so much so you need someone to answer an email to have it sent to you? How incredibly retrograde (not like that website is the paragon of good design in the first place)

AoD

Last edited:
Overcrowded, lack of crush space, byzantine circulation patterns (particularly the pass-under) - and I can't imagine how it can interface with the DRL properly without some serious reworking of the station.

Unfortunately, I think the Yonge-Queen station will be somewhat like a T-arrangement. I can't find the display board online anymore - thanks to the utterly useless Reliefline.ca website:

http://reliefline.ca/the-project/meeting-materials-

Like REALLY??? How much space did that material take up, so much so you need someone to answer an email to have it sent to you? How incredibly retrograde (not like that website is the paragon of good design in the first place)

AoD

All they did was remove the links and alter the drop down menus - all the content is still there it appears. waybackmachine lucky for us archived everything: http://web.archive.org/web/20170605192732/http://reliefline.ca:80/the-project/project-materials.

If I remember about Queen-Yonge it was shown as a T, but mentioned it could be a + upon refinement. Same goes with Osgoode.

Too bad they can't turn the Union Pearson Express into an western express arm of the Relief Line. Eastern arm remain local between Sheppard and Osgoode then express most of the way to the airport (stops at Exhibition, Bloor, Eglinton, Weston, and YYZ).

All they did was remove the links and alter the drop down menus - all the content is still there it appears. waybackmachine lucky for us archived everything: http://web.archive.org/web/20170605192732/http://reliefline.ca:80/the-project/project-materials.

If I remember about Queen-Yonge it was shown as a T, but mentioned it could be a + upon refinement. Same goes with Osgoode.

Thank you - this is truly appreciated. The Queen station in question:

upload_2018-1-11_12-4-17.png

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-11_12-4-17.png
    upload_2018-1-11_12-4-17.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 432
Queen and Osgoode would probably get the Spanish treatment with the platforms being one or two levels between the existing tracks.

And the west end of Osgoode platform and the east end of Queen platform would be the only sections that you’d be able to transfer to Line 1.

Which is good since you’d be able to go straight to the DRL from the street bypassing unnecessarily having to walk through Line 1 if you’re not transferring.

Same with Pape and it’ll probably be Spanishized too.

Too bad they can't turn the Union Pearson Express into an western express arm of the Relief Line. Eastern arm remain local between Sheppard and Osgoode then express most of the way to the airport (stops at Exhibition, Bloor, Eglinton, Weston, and YYZ).

The passenger capacity of the UPX is far too low for that. The western arm would have a demand of at least 13k PPHPD, and the UPX couldn’t even provide 10% of the necessary capacity.

Queen and Osgoode would probably get the Spanish treatment with the platforms being one or two levels between the existing tracks.

And the west end of Osgoode platform and the east end of Queen platform would be the only sections that you’d be able to transfer to Line 1.

Which is good since you’d be able to go straight to the DRL from the street bypassing unnecessarily having to walk through Line 1 if you’re not transferring.

Same with Pape and it’ll probably be Spanishized too.

I dont think there is enough room to do the Spanish solution as you would need 30-31 meters in the ROW and Queen or Yonge is no where anywhere near that - you might get that at University though. Are there any diagrams with the existing station boxes for Osgoode and Queen ?

Back