Unfortunately, that ship may very well have sailed.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
What would it take to convert them back (given they'd need 12 new cars to extend the trains back up to 6 cars)? I know OPTO on the Sheppard line saves a bit of money for the agency, but could that be replicated with converted T1s with ATC and full cabs (or just having the operator stand up at every station, even though that may anger the union).

What about running the 4 car TRs on line 1 during rush hour while having ATC enabled T1s run on Sheppard? I don't think it would be extremely feasible, but it could be used as a stopgap solution until the next train purchase.

The Finch problems are well known. But hang on, the extension to Vaughan didn't mitigate the terminal problem there? Surely they should have designed the Vaughan terminal ... which surely is going to be the end of the line for generations - to handle 2 minute service (currently 4.7 minutes in AM peak).

This is solved for Spadina leg of Line 1. The terminus for high frequency operations is both Vaughan & Steeles, each handling ~3 minute frequencies for turnarounds providing a combined 90 second headway.

The solution for the Yonge leg will be similar, split terminus between 2 stations.

Essentially, any station with a north-side pocket track (or far-side from the center point) can act as 50% of the line terminus @ 90 second frequencies. It takes much less time to switch into a pocket track than it does to do a full cross-over to the other side as is done at Finch.

Last edited:
Nope. Sheppard has a south side pocket track. Yonge line needs to be extended north to at least Steeles to fix the terminal problem. It will likely be extended to Highway 7, so that should fix the Yonge line problem. A bigger issue is not the 90 sec service frequency but actually ability for Line 2 to handle the more frequent loads from Line 1. Also, there is a small issue of not having enough TR trains for Line 1 to even have capacity for 90 sec service.

Look at the trouble Metrolinx are going to pushing Line 5 under Yonge and Eglinton - trying to keep ground shift under the length of a rice grain - and tell me it is easy (or quick!) to bore a full length express tunnel under the length of Line 1

Nope. Sheppard has a south side pocket track. Yonge line needs to be extended north to at least Steeles to fix the terminal problem. It will likely be extended to Highway 7, so that should fix the Yonge line problem. A bigger issue is not the 90 sec service frequency but actually ability for Line 2 to handle the more frequent loads from Line 1. Also, there is a small issue of not having enough TR trains for Line 1 to even have capacity for 90 sec service.
So if extension is still a long way off, it there an interim location where these turn-arounds can happen - hopefully north of St. Clair.

Look at the trouble Metrolinx are going to pushing Line 5 under Yonge and Eglinton - trying to keep ground shift under the length of a rice grain - and tell me it is easy (or quick!) to bore a full length express tunnel under the length of Line 1

I seem to remember that in Boston for the Big Dig they used refer units to freeze the ground under the main rail yard to prevent the shifting of the tracks as the bore underneath. Not sure the cost of doing that but seemed to work for them.

I seem to remember that in Boston for the Big Dig they used refer units to freeze the ground under the main rail yard to prevent the shifting of the tracks as the bore underneath. Not sure the cost of doing that but seemed to work for them.
Better examples are to be had in other jurisdictions. It's a pretty popular way to stabilize soil when other methods are too risky,
Ground freezing in construction | groundfreezing.com

The Finch problems are well known. But hang on, the extension to Vaughan didn't mitigate the terminal problem there? Surely they should have designed the Vaughan terminal ... which surely is going to be the end of the line for generations - to handle 2 minute service (currently 4.7 minutes in AM peak).

Vaughan can already handle 2-ish minute frequencies, but that's by nature of the signal system. They are physically incapable of running more frequently than that because of the crossover at the south - the same issue that arises with Finch. The improvement in headway is solely going to be possible with the signal system, and nothing else.

What would it take to convert them back (given they'd need 12 new cars to extend the trains back up to 6 cars)?

New cars. There's no converting an A car to something else.

I know OPTO on the Sheppard line saves a bit of money for the agency, but could that be replicated with converted T1s with ATC and full cabs (or just having the operator stand up at every station, even though that may anger the union).

The OPTO system was originally going to be installed on the T1s, so that should be no issue. But ATC/ATO is a non-starter - there's no point for a vehicle that has less than 10 years of life left.

As for standing up at each station - why? The OPTO system deals with that.

What about running the 4 car TRs on line 1 during rush hour while having ATC enabled T1s run on Sheppard? I don't think it would be extremely feasible, but it could be used as a stopgap solution until the next train purchase.

I can't see how that would work. Can you imagine the backlash on Twitter from people who missed their train because it's only 4 cars long? The TTC has long been leery of intermingling long and short trains, and frankly this idea wouldn't make them feel any better about it.

This is solved for Spadina leg of Line 1. The terminus for high frequency operations is both Vaughan & Steeles, each handling ~3 minute frequencies for turnarounds providing a combined 90 second headway.

Not Steeles - Finch West. But yes, that is correct.

The solution for the Yonge leg will be similar, split terminus between 2 stations.

Except that way too high of a proportion of service is needed to go to Finch on the Yonge side. That's why ideas such as routing service onto the Sheppard Line are such a non-starter.

For the record, the only places where that would be capable under Yonge are Eglinton (and not easily) and Lawrence. Both of which are way too great a distance with which to cut back service.

Essentially, any station with a north-side pocket track (or far-side from the center point) can act as 50% of the line terminus @ 90 second frequencies. It takes much less time to switch into a pocket track than it does to do a full cross-over to the other side as is done at Finch.

All of that is correct. The problem now is that there are no places with which to do it. When the line is extended north, Finch could (and may very well) be that location. But until that? We're boned.

Nope. Sheppard has a south side pocket track.

There is no pocket track at Sheppard. There is a crossover on the south side of the station, but those are of no use in this situation.

A bigger issue is not the 90 sec service frequency but actually ability for Line 2 to handle the more frequent loads from Line 1.

This is going to be a very big concern in the future, and not that far off, either. As it is the platform at Yonge is approaching the limits of what it is safely capable of handling. I suspect that we will see a solution not unlike what was done at Union.

Also, there is a small issue of not having enough TR trains for Line 1 to even have capacity for 90 sec service.

Never mind 90 second service - we don't even have enough for a service increase beyond what is running today once the ATC/ATO is completed.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Last edited:
The improvement in headway is solely going to be possible with the signal system, and nothing else.
Unless there’s a crossover or pocket track north of the station, so that you can have 2 trains at the platform, 1 train in the tail tracks, and 1 train at the (possibly unused) crossover. This is an operational and infrastructure change, in addition to signalling.

I can't see how that would work. Can you imagine the backlash on Twitter from people who missed their train because it's only 4 cars long? The TTC has long been leery of intermingling long and short trains, and frankly this idea wouldn't make them feel any better about it.
Fair enough. Assuming the T1s had more life in them, it'd probably just be better for TTC PR if they converted a few to ATC for use on line 1 as a stopgap if the need ever arises, but even then, it'd probably just be best to wait for the next rolling stock order.

Unless there’s a crossover or pocket track north of the station, so that you can have 2 trains at the platform, 1 train in the tail tracks, and 1 train at the (possibly unused) crossover. This is an operational and infrastructure change, in addition to signalling.

If you're referring to VMC, it would be more than that. Not only would you have to build the pocket track north of the station, but you would also need to lengthen it to allow for two signal circuits on it - which would then allow them to operate the trains at a higher speed into it.

Keep in mind that with both the older fixed signalling and the currently-being-installed ATC/ATO system putting a train into the pocket track engages a more restrictive speed limit to trains entering the station on that track. Which means in a traditional terminal situation it will decrease your throughput and increase the time between trains.

Fair enough. Assuming the T1s had more life in them, it'd probably just be better for TTC PR if they converted a few to ATC for use on line 1 as a stopgap if the need ever arises, but even then, it'd probably just be best to wait for the next rolling stock order.

Why bother? If you're going to go through the engineering of a single trainset, you can do the engineering for the whole fleet. But at the end of the day, is it going to be worth the millions of dollars that it would require? I really don't think so.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Putting T1s on the Sheppard means binning OPTO. I doubt TTC management want to have that fight over again for the sake of a few extra TRs elsewhere.

Putting T1s on the Sheppard means binning OPTO. I doubt TTC management want to have that fight over again for the sake of a few extra TRs elsewhere.

It sounds like OPTO wouldn't be that difficult to outfit to the T1s. I think that the TTC had gotten as far as some of the engineering and some testing of equipment in the cab, although I'm fairly certain that they never got as far as installing the full-fledged system into a pair.

What drove the conversion of the Sheppard Line to TRs was the change in the ATC/ATO installation on the YUS from an overlay of the existing wayside signalling to a fully stand-alone system with no way of fallback beyond what that system is capable of.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back