Is this statement still accurate, that we'll get a near-final estimate and presentation in Q4 2019?

Further design work is currently underway. At its meeting May 24, 2017, City Council authorized advancing preliminary design (15-30%) with a report back on updated cost estimates in Q4 2019.

Then I presume that bidding and other final pre-construction work will happen in 2020, with shovels in the ground around the end of that year?

Is this statement still accurate, that we'll get a near-final estimate and presentation in Q4 2019?

Then I presume that bidding and other final pre-construction work will happen in 2020, with shovels in the ground around the end of that year?

If by shovels in the ground you mean prep work like moving utilities? Then probably BUT it won't be 2020. The DRL will have an absolute minimum of 18 months to tender; 28 months seems more likely between RFQ and financial close.

A TBM in the ground will be financial close date + 2 to 3 years.

I thoroughly dislike these massive whole project tenders as they significantly drag out the timelines for complex projects.

If by shovels in the ground you mean prep work like moving utilities? Then probably BUT it won't be 2020. The DRL will have an absolute minimum of 18 months to tender; 28 months seems more likely between RFQ and financial close.

A TBM in the ground will be financial close date + 2 to 3 years.

I thoroughly dislike these massive whole project tenders as they significantly drag out the timelines for complex projects.

Hmm, so if major construction starts in 2021-22, is a 2029 opening realistic?

Major construction on the York U extension was started in 2011 and finished in 2017, and the DRL is being built in a location that's more complex (even for just the stations). That being said, the Relief Line is a bit shorter so it has that to its advantage.

update on reliefline.ca/south :
On March 7, 2019, City Council approved the TTC's 10-year transit expansion capital plan that included funding to support a schedule improvement strategy for the project. This new funding will allow for early work opportunities such as:

• property acquisition;
  • utility relocation; and
  • procurement of tunnel boring machines.
Further funding commitment to finalize design and proceed with construction of the project will still be required.

Procurement of TBMs hopefully means that funding for the full project follows soon after. Would be a travesty for Toronto to have TBMs just sitting there doing nothing.

The cutting head wears out. 11 TBMs were needed to build the Channel Tunnel. 6 of which were buried under the Channel and abandoned.

And there it is... the Ford govt. is changing the Relief Design to some other, yet to define technology, because the Scarborough subway has gone over budget and he wants to add 2 more stops.

• The Relief Line, which the province proposes to build using an “alternative delivery methods” that would create a “free-standing project” that would use different technology than the rest of the subway system.

So let me get this straight, Scarborough “deserves a subway” but downtown Toronto with ridership that actually justifies a subway is getting what... light rail?

I wouldn't assume too much just yet.

They said:

• The Yonge North Extension to Richmond Hill, work for which the province proposes should “progress in parallel to the Relief Line,” in order to accelerate its opening date “to the greatest extent possible.”
That is something that Ford wants ASAP so the relief line might not be pushed back... maybe even forward? Forward is probably pushing it a little though.

Sounds like a good way to say "F-U" to the "downtown elites". Give Scarborough the cadillac of subways because they "deserve it" and stick the "elites" with an RT. That'll show 'em. /s

Back