Meh, he knows his followers are sheep and will go with whatever he says. I'll take this aboutface as a win for transit in the GTA.

That maybe, but I do believe there is a need to exact a certain amount of vengence on someone who willfully misrepresented reality and then turn around to preach the very opposite.

Plus I don't consider anyone causing decadal delays to be a win for transit in the GTA. That's rewarding malfeasance.

AoD

Last edited:
That's exactly what I mean - though there is a good case for elevated since it will require a bridge to get there anyways; plus certain alignments (like along Overlea) would be fairly insensitive. Ditto Don Mills - and I suspect they will have to go underground there anyways.

AoD

Oh whoops. When you wrote Eglinton West I thought you meant existing Eglinton West Line 1 station.

B) As you mentioned, will the private sector even be interested in this? Apparantly Metrolinx had trouble garnering private sector interest in GO Electrification and Hamilton LRT, due to the absurd amounts of risk they wanted the P3s to take on. The OL is a far more complicated and riskier project.

OL is complicated and risky, but promises a very fat payout too. I think P3s will bid, but will try to word the contract in such a way that any conceptual flaws in the original terms will be on the province's tab.

To the effect of, "if we construct the route we have signed for and we are late, then we pay the penalty. But if one of the curves is physically or legally impossible and we have to change the route, then we can charge you for that." And then .. they usually have good lawyers.

To the effect of, "if we construct the route we have signed for and we are late, then we pay the penalty. But if one of the curves is physically or legally impossible and we have to change the route, then we can charge you for that." And then .. they usually have good lawyers.

That kind of contract language would make the cancellation clauses in the Gas Plant agreements look trivial.

The danger with the current government is their belief that they can legislatively relax whatever constraint the contractor encounters. You can override zoning, environmental law, etc but you can't override civil engineering.

When the contractor says "We can do it, but we need to make a few adjustments".... these guys will see that the same way they see the LPAT process....

- Paul

Why do I have a feeling the probability of "deserving" a subway is directly related to that area's likelihood to vote conservative...

Since when did Spadina Fort York, Toronto Centre and Toronto Danforth vote Conservative? Certainly not in my lifetime.

Seems the "anti-transit" Conservatives are doing more for downtowners than the Liberals did. And please, no one tell me that there'd be shovels in the ground by now had the election gone another way. Ontario Line is the best outcome we could have hoped for, with DRL West and DRL North being incorporated in the first construction phase not deferred for many more decades like in the City's plan.

Since when did Spadina Fort York, Toronto Centre and Toronto Danforth vote Conservative? Certainly not in my lifetime.

Seems the "anti-transit" Conservatives are doing more for downtowners than the Liberals did. And please, no one tell me that there'd be shovels in the ground by now had the election gone another way. Ontario Line is the best outcome we could have hoped for, with DRL West and DRL North being incorporated in the first construction phase not deferred for many more decades like in the City's plan.
No, they're trying to get the votes of Scarborough , I think.
Plus, OL will be at capacity soon after it opens.

Would you stop; don't be a BurlOak wannabe.

There would not be shovels in the ground by now, but early works could have begun this fall given the state of progress on the RL concept.

As it stands there is zero chance of that happening.

Further, the finish date for this project will to a near certainty be later than what was proposed for the RL with 2029; based on my understanding of the likely form of any build-out, 2031 at the very earliest.

This will also end up costing a good deal more than the RL would have to cover the same segment; which will reduce funds for other projects.

Really, I have no time for those who Ford-Bash merely for its own sake; but one need not do so, when compelling reasons abound.

The open house was insane today, so crowded that people were crowding outside the church discussing the line.

Seemed like near 100% of them NIMBYs who want absolutely nothing to do with the Ontario Line. Paula Fletcher stoking them all on, helping members of the Community use the right political planning language and wording in their feedback.

The common slogan I saw was "Metrolinx killed Eglinton, don't let them kill Leslieville"

They should bury it and follow the original route for the RL - down Pape. The previous issue of the ROW being too narrow is easily solved by doing stacked tunnels along that stretch which removes the need to go under the Carlaw interceptor. I think they will have to bury it due to the ramp. Going by Canada line standard's the above ground portion is roughly 175 meters - and then there is still a fair bit to get underground. It's really funny on how every stat they throw it as near copy of the Canada line.. even the 30,000pphpd with 100m platofmrs (Canada line has a 15,000pphpd with 50m ramps).

Back