Another hit piece by the Toronto Star. When it was elevated LRT for folks in Scarborough, it was A-Okay. We never heard anything about the negativities of elevated transit. Now that the Ontario Line is proposing elevated through Leslieville, it's armageddon. How many of the Toronto Star writers are living in Leslieville or close to there. I guess this is what they called Not In My Backyard. I wonder why going underground through here like what the Toronto Star wants isn't being called a waste like what we heard out in Scarborough. Before when OneCity used to make these arguments, I thought he wasn't making much sense, now I see where he is coming from. The hypocrisy in this city is sickening.

You know, it's kinda refreshing with the OL articles that Councillors like Cressy, Layton, Wong Tam, and Matlow are now showcased on issues close to their own respective wards. Nothing was more unfortunate and City dividing then having far outside politicians and media reporters narrate Scarborough issues for both political and territorial gain over the decades.

My guess here is the Star and Metroland will continue to hammer the elevation aspect as its the easiest way to garner atleast a handful regular localized citizens to join the usual activist and union groups in protest against the Conservatives. Going after the issues of technology or capacity wont see as much support as most residents across the entire City just want to see shovels in the ground above all else.

Nice to see the bias that was glaringly obvious to me can be said without immature name calling these days, best of luck with it none the less.

Last edited:
I'm at a loss as to how a news story about a secret meeting between developers and Metrolinx, somehow prompted a bunch of rants against the media/councillors which have nothing to do with what was actually said in this particular article.

Another hit piece by the Toronto Star. When it was elevated LRT for folks in Scarborough, it was A-Okay. We never heard anything about the negativities of elevated transit. Now that the Ontario Line is proposing elevated through Leslieville, it's armageddon. How many of the Toronto Star writers are living in Leslieville or close to there. I guess this is what they called Not In My Backyard. I wonder why going underground through here like what the Toronto Star wants isn't being called a waste like what we heard out in Scarborough. Before when OneCity used to make these arguments, I thought he wasn't making much sense, now I see where he is coming from. The hypocrisy in this city is sickening.
This has nothing to do with negativites of elevated transit or SRT or NIMBYism - it has to do with preferential treatment of who gets to know what goes where. You can't tell the public that everything is up in air, nothing to tell you on one hand, and then turn around and talk to developers that no, really, it's going here and there. It undermines the trustworthiness of the org.

AoD
Exactly. But I would add the hyprocrisy is striking. The OL is being opposed, but on here it's for the right reasons.
I want to also add that Leslieville is historic and has charm - Scarborough has none of that.

That's not really a valid justification

AoD
Agreed. Historic designations have nothing to do with this.
Nobody wants elevated rail in their neighbourhood. I agree it can be a good thing, but that depends on a number of considerations.

I can understand why Leslieville residents want it underground - it makes sense in the city.

The biggest reason to put it underground is capacity. The Ontario Line as presently proposed isn't going to provide the capacity this project needs.
Underground will not increase capacity! The vehicles used will.
You know, it's kinda refreshing with the OL articles that Councillors like Cressy, Layton, Wong Tam, and Matlow are now showcased on issues close to their own respective wards. Nothing was more unfortunate and City dividing then having far outside politicians and media reporters narrate Scarborough issues for both political and territorial gain over the decades.

My guess here is the Star and Metroland will continue to hammer the elevation aspect as its the easiest way to garner atleast a handful regular localized citizens to join the usual activist and union groups in protest against the Conservatives. Going after the issues of technology or capacity wont see as much support as most residents across the entire City just want to see shovels in the ground above all else.

Nice to see the bias that was glaringly obvious to me can be said without immature name calling these days, best of luck with it none the less.
FYI Matlow and Cressy are in support of this as standing. In fact, Matlow actually told his fellow Councillors not to be hypocrites about this. Cressy is only upset that developers have been told this might change ( and why are we surprised, it's Doug Ford we're talking about)

Last edited:

The undying desire for the uninformed to paint all the progressive councillors with one stroke is as annoying as it is ill informed.

Here's the vote from the last Council meeting requesting that Metrolinx consider building the OL underground:

1580847629928.png

Throw in the requisite media bashing and intimation of collusion with the activist set, and this post is basically a conservative municipal politics bingo card.

I'm at a loss as to how a news story about a secret meeting between developers and Metrolinx, somehow prompted a bunch of rants against the media/councillors which have nothing to do with what was actually said in this particular article.
The sentiment was simply expressed at the incorrect news article. I don't see how the point about hypocrisy has been refuted otherwise.

The undying desire for the uninformed to paint all the progressive councillors with one stroke is as annoying as it is ill informed.

Here's the vote from the last Council meeting requesting that Metrolinx consider building the OL underground:

View attachment 229173

Throw in the requisite media bashing and intimation of collusion with the activist set, and this post is basically a conservative municipal politics bingo card.
I'd caution that council was likely simply following the Mayor's direction, to appear united before Queen's Park.

Plus why would any councilor (minus Pasternak) be opposed to a request to simply consider alternative options? There is no downside in voting "yes" for anyone.

How was the article incorrect?

I assume we’re talking about the article regarding Metrolinx sharing OL details with private developers
No, I think the sentiment was directed at the previous articles about elevated transit in Leslieville being the end of the world. The one with Metrolinx sharing OL details with private developers is unrelated.

The sentiment was simply expressed at the incorrect news article. I don't see how the point about hypocrisy has been refuted otherwise.

I'd caution that council was likely simply following the Mayor's direction, to appear united before Queen's Park.

Plus why would any councilor (minus Pasternak) be opposed to a request to simply consider alternative options? There is no downside in voting "yes" for anyone.
And essentially reconsider all the work that went into relief line planning that could be used to fast track the planning of OL.

"Metrolinx concluded that the Ontario Line should be built with provision for trains of up to approximately 100 metres length and assuming a 3.0 metre car width."

They're expecting it would be wider(3m vs 2.65) and longer (100m vs 76m) than the Skytrain rolling stock. The exact dimensions will be what the winning consortium will offer.

From the Business Case.

JFK AirTrains are carriages that are 3.0 m wide, so it's feasible with the Bombardier MK models.

If the REM Line in Montreal works well in winter, I think they'd be well advised to adopt the rolling stock they use there.
(as opposed to, say, Ottawa).

Last edited:
Holy crap, what a ridiculous assertion.

What's wrong with what I said? They did a good job exposing Metrolinx speaking privately to developers. Still doesn't excuse the almost daily weekly negative articles about the Ontario Line from them. Yes we get it. They hate the Ontario Line, but at least they could try to show some partiality. They did the same thing or are doing with the Scarborough subway. Constant negative articles. Back then we heard that the LRT was cheaper per kilometre, longer, and with more stations. We could also say these apply to the Ontario Line vs the Relief Line. I wonder why they dont mention that. They objected to underground in Scarborough and were pushing elevated LRT, but that was ok because it was in out in the boonies. But when it closer to home, now elevated is so evil. Hypocrites.

What's wrong with what I said? They did a good job exposing Metrolinx speaking privately to developers. Still doesn't excuse the almost daily weekly negative articles about the Ontario Line from them. Yes we get it. They hate the Ontario Line, but at least they could try to show some partiality. They did the same thing or are doing with the Scarborough subway. Constant negative articles. Back then we heard that the LRT was cheaper per kilometre, longer, and with more stations. We could also say these apply to the Ontario Line vs the Relief Line. I wonder why they dont mention that. They objected to underground in Scarborough and were pushing elevated LRT, but that was ok because it was in out in the boonies. But when it closer to home, now elevated is so evil. Hypocrites.
It is true. The Toronto Star hates Scarborough so much. I heard in a meeting they discussed charging Scarborough residents twice as much for the news because they didn't want to have to drive so far from downtown where there were no Starbucks for their delivery drivers.

Back