Hope most of the money will be spent on wages and pensions for the hardworking members of the TTC union. Our transit wouldn't be possible without them. They should be paid much more than they are now.

I hate to burst your bubble but almost every Canadian is hard working. Why should members of a union get others hard earned dollars? Please compare the fare collectors wages to parking attendants you give $20 to park before going to a Jays game. Or the TTC drivers to Greyhound. Comparable jobs earning much less than the union (and they don't have job security nor benefits nor pension nor fixed hours).

You are suggesting that the union members DESERVE to take these people's (and others) hard earned money. These people who earn less than union members for the same job should fund union members lifestyles?

No.

(and this is exactly why taxpayers do not trust the government anymore with their taxes....it will not be used to drive economic growth but to fund the lifestyle of public servants and politicians)

I hate to burst your bubble but almost every Canadian is hard working. Why should members of a union get others hard earned dollars? Please compare the fare collectors wages to parking attendants you give $20 to park before going to a Jays game. Or the TTC drivers to Greyhound. Comparable jobs earning much less than the union (and they don't have job security nor benefits nor pension nor fixed hours).

You are suggesting that the union members DESERVE to take these people's (and others) hard earned money. These people who earn less than union members for the same job should fund union members lifestyles?

No.

(and this is exactly why taxpayers do not trust the government anymore with their taxes....it will not be used to drive economic growth but to fund the lifestyle of public servants and politicians)

I thought he was being sarcastic.

and maybe pay for the raccoons who ride TTC a ticket!

You let them ride?

TransLink doesn't:

10429436_903439636365301_3247624167295362597_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/Translink/...33777.139975612711711/903439636365301/?type=3

Yes it certainly does and so does Trudeau.

Contrary to Toronto's belief, the money will not wait for Toronto to get it's act together. These new infrastructure funds are both long term growth and short term economic boosts and the DRL definitely does not qualify under the latter.

The DRL is a pipe dream that will be finishing up it's environmental review somewhere between 2032 to 2035 and then a 5 year community consultation will start. GO electrification, grade separation, and ST on the other hand are shovel ready...........start construction, just add money. That is what QP, Ottawa, and most importantly Torontonians want and need the most. Telling them to sit back and wait another 15 years for a 10 km subway doesn't help them one bit.

Are you seriously suggesting that an environmental assessment should take 25+ years to complete?

In that time, most Chinese cities would be able to triple their subway system length.

The schedule for the Relief Line is thankfully a lot short. The consultation and preliminary work is all but done. The EA is starting this June to be complete sometime in 2017. Afterwards, pending funding, the Relief Line is ready for tender.

Yes it certainly does and so does Trudeau.

Contrary to Toronto's belief, the money will not wait for Toronto to get it's act together. These new infrastructure funds are both long term growth and short term economic boosts and the DRL definitely does not qualify under the latter.

The DRL is a pipe dream that will be finishing up it's environmental review somewhere between 2032 to 2035 and then a 5 year community consultation will start. GO electrification, grade separation, and ST on the other hand are shovel ready...........start construction, just add money. That is what QP, Ottawa, and most importantly Torontonians want and need the most. Telling them to sit back and wait another 15 years for a 10 km subway doesn't help them one bit.

I'm going to be sure come back to this post three years from now ;)

I agree that we need the Big 'J' asap, the 'BJ' I'll call it, pun intended. The bigger issue is connectivity of DRL to GO RER/Smart Track. I see the connections in the east with Gerard and Unilever stations, but not in the west. To increase frequencies and reduce passenger bottlenecks, we need a transit hub in the west, not just at Unilever. I suggest just east of Bathurst and Front, since Spadina and Front is unfeasible. The result would be a satellite smaller Union-type station in the west, and one in the east.

I'll bite. What needs are more pressing than DRL?
Oh, I am sure the politicians will somehow be able to justify spending $1.2 billion on retrofitting Bloor-Yonge Station to deal with capacity issues.

Not like those capacity issues at Bloor-Yonge could be eliminated by building a subway line to Sheppard-Don Mills or anything sensible like that.

The interim improvements that need to be made in order to avoid the system bursting at the seams while we wait for the DRL to be built.

My fear is that these "interim" improvements will become permanent. And that any 'improvements' won't be done to avoid the system bursting at the seams, rather as an ad hoc means for the Prov Libs/Metrolinx to fast-track an extension of Line 1 to 16th Ave (or beyond) in York Region.

Hopefully when the next phase of the Mlinx's YRNS is released I can be proved otherwise, and believe that they're genuinely committed to a proper DRL. But I have my reservations.

My fear is that these "interim" improvements will become permanent. And that any 'improvements' won't be done to avoid the system bursting at the seams, rather as an ad hoc means for the Prov Libs/Metrolinx to fast-track an extension of Line 1 to 16th Ave (or beyond) in York Region.

Hopefully when the next phase of the Mlinx's YRNS is released I can be proved otherwise, and believe that they're genuinely committed to a proper DRL. But I have my reservations.

I do hope that the interim improvements do become permanent, because they'll be needed in addition to the DRL. Specifically, I'm thinking the King ROW, which would be useful for local transit even after the DRL is built. But yes, they must not be allowed to be the only things built.

Tentatively. The budget forecast gets shuffled around every year. I'm not convinced upgrade to ATO would be required once the Relief Line is built, and wouldn't be surprised if the ATO upgrade is removed (or delayed indefinitely) from the budget forecast once the Relief Line gets a funding commitment.

Given the number of delays related signal problems, I think ATC is an essential expense. Signal problems are responsible for about 25% of delays, and they tend to be longer lasting delays so their impact is disproportionate. The TTC sells it as a capacity upgrade to get it funded, but it's also an issue of reliability and obsolescence. It is also a prerequisite for platform barrier doors, and any newly purchased trains would rely on ATC. Plus there are significant operational savings if they run without drivers.

I think that the TTC also wants/needs to have this done before the SSE opens, because they only plan on building it with ATC signalling rather than using the old signalling system then inevitably ripping it out later for an upgrade.

Back