are people on here not tired of debating the same thing over and over?

Are we talking about the Project overall, or something specifically?

I agree we cover or overlap the same old ground again from time to time and re-debate things, but that's the nature of this armchair transit planning. It's just an ongoing, anonymous, online debate. Grant you, the discussion here at UT is more civilized and detailed than what you'll get on other social media platforms. At least here (generally), people will point to new evidence and form coherent arguments. It's haggling with your pals at the bar or during the game, just at a nerdier, focused and more informed level.

But as you have a good and fun jousting match with your good pals, once in a while, that guy Steve comes along and crashes the party, and says something like:

I think the Scarborough subway is stupid. Let's argue about it. What's your opinion?

Those are the shit disturbers. :p

I don't see that in the wiki article. It does point to old Transit City documents though, but looking at those, I still don't see it; looks all surface to me.

3hhHAX9.jpg

Even Steve Munro on his site has stated the Don Mills LRT would have to be grade-separated along Pape Avenue because the roadway is too narrow to support dedicated track lanes on the surface. Nonetheless, the map you've posted reinforces my position, Mortimer was not going to be skipped per the underground Transit City plans and neither should it be now that it's a DRL subway. Moving the "Cosburn" station to Torrens with exits on either end of the platform (Gamble and Woodsville) makes it equidistant walking time to either O'Connor or Cosburn and leaves enough of a gap to accommodate Mortimer.

In the original Transit City, the Don Mills route would have been light rail down to its Danforth terminal.

streetcar-4121-02.jpg

The Relief Line (phase one) would be heavy rail Danforth to Osgoode.

Looks to me that the light rail for Don Mills has been upgraded to heavy rail, up to Eglinton for a phase two.

Looks to me that the light rail for Don Mills has been upgraded to heavy rail, up to Eglinton for a phase two.
I don't see why the subway should stop at Eglinton either. Ridership and growth projections show Don Mills is an excellent street for heavy rail subway.

If only Mel Lastman could champion the 'other' North York subway. The one that would provide the biggest benefit to North York residents.

Even Steve Munro on his site has stated the Don Mills LRT would have to be grade-separated along Pape Avenue because the roadway is too narrow to support dedicated track lanes on the surface. Nonetheless, the map you've posted reinforces my position, Mortimer was not going to be skipped per the underground Transit City plans and neither should it be now that it's a DRL subway. Moving the "Cosburn" station to Torrens with exits on either end of the platform (Gamble and Woodsville) makes it equidistant walking time to either O'Connor or Cosburn and leaves enough of a gap to accommodate Mortimer.

The Transit City plan was intended to be above ground, though. Steve Munro's site says that it would have to be buried to fit, but that wasn't the official plan yet. The Don Mills LRT wasn't at a sufficient design stage for it to have been confirmed as buried. Once you've decided to go with an underground alignment it makes less sense to stop so frequently so the stops in that map would have to be revised.

From the RER station update:

Guess proximity to Liberty Village takes precedence to a direct connection to the Relief Line?

Personally, I think it would make way more sense to set the Relief line along King rather than have it do that loop to swing back to Queen, in which case it wouldn't have this problem...

Didn't Metrolinx also do this with Oriole GO and the Sheppard subway's Leslie station? The silo mentality isn't new. At least they integrated well with the Barrie GO and the Eglinton LRT (Caledonia station) and the TYSSE (Downsview Park station).

Is it just me - or does the station look to short. The box looks smaller then those shown on the Relief Line maps.

I would say it is about 330 metres measuring it in Google Maps, but that is with the curve...why the hell is it proposed on a curve?!

qfMrSvh.png

I guess that's why the disclaimer is there. Hoping it is quite a rough approximation.

This one is a beautiful map. All the stations are exactly where they should be.

Jarvis/Parliament as opposed to just Sherborne. Two interchanges at Yonge and University. Sumach station well positioned to serve many different side streets. Broadview Station granting direct transit access to Unilever site. Gamble(Cosburn) and Mortimer stations with good stop distance from each other. Phase 1 extension to Spadina in the west, and to Cosburn in the north, will mean little disruption to the interchange stations once we extend north and west in Phase 2 and 3.

I couldn't have drawn it better myself.

You wanna talk about beating a dead horse? The planning department has already determined several of those fantasy stations are unnecessary. How do you stand up and explain to the people of Scarborough why Lawrence and Sheppard stations got cut but a city block of shelter space needs to be bookended by subway stops? Not to be insensitive but they are not commuters and those buildings are not commuter destinations.

This is beating a dead horse. Queen is not as busy as King, but it is 90% as busy as King. It is not a 'loss' having a Queen alignment.

If anything, we gain better access to institutions (Ryerson, City Hall) and the Eaton Centre, better pedestrian flow above ground and in the PATH at peak hours, and cheaper tunelling compared to King. Queen Street also makes a lot more sense west of Spadina, if we intend to send the subway to Roncy.

That's a red herring. King or Queen doesn't provide better access to Ryerson than the Yonge line does.

Citation needed for the rest of it. Your common wisdom isn't backed by anything in any published official planning document. Their preliminary numbers said their decision will cost the most. They have not made any updated numbers so I hold those are canon. They haven't provided any PATH or pedestrian studies to prove anything. They have already admitted stations will be in bedrock which by natural and physical laws require deeper and more cavernous excavations on Queen St. (Bedrock is at half the depth at Front St in case you didn't know)

However that assumes you believe what the planning documents say but we all know their leader is an invertebrate puppet who bows down to the almighty ScamTrack which we all know is the real elephant in the room.

From the RER station update:

ykZpsli.png

Guess proximity to Liberty Village takes precedence to a direct connection to the Relief Line?

I can't help but notice the sea of tan blocks that surrounds Queen on both sides... which is extends even further out if you look at the full map. What are those tan blocks?

I would say it is about 330 metres measuring it in Google Maps, but that is with the curve...why the hell is it proposed on a curve?!

qfMrSvh.png

I guess that's why the disclaimer is there. Hoping it is quite a rough approximation.

Transit operators don't like curves in a station.

City-Hall-Station-Courtesy-of-the-New-York-Transit-Museum-2.jpg

New York's City Hall station was abandoned for that reason.

IMG_4195.jpg

Though with their South Ferry Loop Station, they had to keep it, along with precautions.

A few of the stations is the new document are wholly or partly on curves but not tight ones. I think it would amount to a few inches per railcar, not enough to cause very significant problems.

Back