That might not necessarily be true. As we see with the Crosstown, road access above the station boxes have been maintained, while station excavation occurs below.

I hope that will be the case. But - as we've seen with Crosstown - there has been a heck of a lot of surface disruption up there. With bus, it's manageable. With streetcar, all it would take is one prolonged excavation that encroaches on the ROW to sever the line. There will be a cost increment, also, if none of the stations can be built by excavating from the surface. I hope that does not emerge as a problem.

I wasn't around when they excavated Yonge St for the original subway, but from the photos there had to be an impact on the Yonge streetcar. I wonder how that was handled.

- Paul

Here's an interesting graphic I came across from Matt Elliott's twitter feed. It would be good for our politicians to look at this, since they all seem to have failed their reading and comprehension tests while they were at school. A color coded chart might be easier for them to decipher:

DTTV4ozWkAEMwqX.jpg

The improvement from 2011 and 2016 can be attributed to the full switch to Toronto Rockets. Any other spin that TTC or select individual politicians may come up with in the future regarding that specific improvement is false.

That looks about right. I stopped taking the TTC to work downtown partly because of the hassle of trying to board a southbound train at Rosedale (though partly because of an infrequent bus as well). It’s nice to see the situation has improved somewhat; however, I wonder how long that will last.

Now that we have a GO/TTC discount fare, how many patrons would make use of it and transfer between GO's Oriole Station and TTC's Leslie Subway Station? Answer, NONE!

Would you?

Oriole Leslie.jpeg

From link.

Guess they'll just have to wait till the Relief Line reaches Sheppard... by the next century.

In the meantime, couldn't they move the Oriole GO Station up to Sheppard?

Attachments

• Oriole Leslie.jpeg
    Oriole Leslie.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 425
Now that we have a GO/TTC discount fare, how many patrons would make use of it and transfer between GO's Oriole Station and TTC's Leslie Subway Station? Answer, NONE!

Would you?

View attachment 132135
From link.

Guess they'll just have to wait till the Relief Line reaches Sheppard... by the next century.

We can always ask/subcontract the IKEA shuttle to serve the Oriole station :)

Would you?

View attachment 132135
From link.

I think the biggest issue is that GO commuters will have to walk the extra 5 minutes from the Oriole parking lot (which is an ingenious use of the 401's underpass) to Leslie station. But quite frankly, I don't know why commuters that use the subway don't just drive to Oriole, park there, and use the sheppard subway.

But quite frankly, I don't know why commuters that use the subway don't just drive to Oriole, park there, and use the sheppard subway.

Oh, I'm sure some do. But want to keep it on the down low to maintain free parking.

Yes, that’s was the solution I was envisioning. I wonder why the TTC is less willing to do it today. I’ve come cross a few photos of the TTC doing that 50s/60s/70s, but nothing from the modern era

In some cases, experience has found that it's just better in the long run to not run the service during the construction. For instance, they found that concrete between the rails wouldn't set as well if the streetcars were still running.

In other cases, I'm convinced that it has more to do with an institutional laziness. A situation of "it's easier not to run the service, so we won't".

Another potential solution is for the DRL stations to be mined, rather than dug. After the tunnel boring is complete, station mining would begin from inside the tunnels, and they would mine the station up to the surface. I believe that’s how we’re building Avenue Station, and it’s resulted in very minimal surface traffic disruption. The only lane closure there has been rightmost westbound lane.

But there is still some surface disruption. Shafts need to be dug to allow for access to the caverns, and for spoil to be removed. And that usually means that a lane - at the least - needs to be closed.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I'm sure that once construction starts, there will be those who will want to stop the construction because it disrupts their current business. Just see the current complaints from Eglinton. The current businesses along the proposed route should be bankrolling now for the disruptions coming.

This is Toronto. The answer is "NOOOOOOBODY!!!"

If you heard about the Line 1 disruption between UNION and BLOOR on January 13th, one could have... if there was a better connection between ORIOLE GO Station and LESLIE SUBWAY Station.

Would you?

(...)

Had to be up at North York General with a parent lately and I have to admit I hadn't realized the extent of the missed opportunity here. Why wouldn't they haveh integrated Oriole, Leslie, and an enclosed, wheelchair-accessible path into NYGH?

Had to be up at North York General with a parent lately and I have to admit I hadn't realized the extent of the missed opportunity here. Why wouldn't they haveh integrated Oriole, Leslie, and an enclosed, wheelchair-accessible path into NYGH?

The project is very budget constrained, and the station isn't THAT close to NYGH. In any case, doesn't the hospital have some responsibility to ensure that they are transit friendly (and it had an expansion after Sheppard opened).

Anyways, getting OT.

AoD

Back