Unless changed by the time that Line 5 opens, there will be no "real" transit signal priority at the intersections in its east end. Just like the streetcars, no TSP because it would upset the single-occupant motorists making left turns ahead of the 300+ onboard the light rail vehicles.
I get that but what does stopping at switches to observe the orientation of it and two vechels not crossing special work at the same time have to do with that at all. You do know that at all of the switches on the crosstown and Finch west there are signals just like on the subway lines that indicates to the driver that they are set for them to continue through. The reason why they have to stop and look at the switches on the streetcar network is because there is no signals that indicates which direction the switch is set too, this has been said by multiple people may times over but people keep bringing it up and saying that it's going to apply to the crosstown and Finch west lines which it's not.

Why are you quoting rules for the streetcar network and making an assumption that they will be applied to the LRT lines, that makes no sense at all.
I mean, if you have an argument against it, I'm all ears.

What I see is that the streetcar network and LRT network both have sections that are not grade separated, where the vehicle runs into the chance of colliding with a car. If the TTC's rules for the streetcar network mandate stupidly slow speeds as a consequence, and the TTC is also going to be operating the LRT network, there is literally no reason to assume that they will have different operational rules. You can huff and puff about it being unconfirmed all you want, but safety rules don't just change, once implemented.

I mean, if you have an argument against it, I'm all ears.

What I see is that the streetcar network and LRT network both have sections that are not grade separated, where the vehicle runs into the chance of colliding with a car. If the TTC's rules for the streetcar network mandate stupidly slow speeds as a consequence, and the TTC is also going to be operating the LRT network, there is literally no reason to assume that they will have different operational rules. You can huff and puff about it being unconfirmed all you want, but safety rules don't just change, once implemented.
I don't really get what you are agreeing about at all you seem to think that they are going to be operated the same just because you think they will. What evidence do you actually have that says that they are going to be operated the same way as the legacy streetcar network?

Also I'm not really sure how a car is going to hit an lrt that is running in a separate right of way going in the same direction as traffic in the middle of the road, which you seem to think is going to happen.

I?? I don't think that. That's what the TTC thinks, and that's why they have their streetcars slow down to absurdly slow speeds as a consequence. You would realize this if you had carefully and analytically read my post before responding.

If that's a risk on a downtown Street, it is a risk on a suburban street. Probably a bigger one, too, since suburban cars should be able to achieve much higher inter-stop speeds. Therefore, if the TTC is afraid of auto collisions downtown, they must be accordingly afraid of auto collisions in the suburbs.

I'm still waiting for your proof that I'm wrong. If the TTC has a safety rule, they are not going to just eliminate it when the physical conditions are exactly the same. I am making an informed assumption based on past conditions. You have no evidence to the contrary, you just need to say I'm wrong no matter what.

I?? I don't think that. That's what the TTC thinks, and that's why they have their streetcars slow down to absurdly slow speeds as a consequence. You would realize this if you had carefully and analytically read my post before responding.

If that's a risk on a downtown Street, it is a risk on a suburban street. Probably a bigger one, too, since suburban cars should be able to achieve much higher inter-stop speeds. Therefore, if the TTC is afraid of auto collisions downtown, they must be accordingly afraid of auto collisions in the suburbs.

I'm still waiting for your proof that I'm wrong. If the TTC has a safety rule, they are not going to just eliminate it when the physical conditions are exactly the same. I am making an informed assumption based on past conditions. You have no evidence to the contrary, you just need to say I'm wrong no matter what.
You're obviously a broken record that doesn't want to listen to reason and you are stuck in your own reality and don't want to listen to anyone who doesn't agree with you. I've given you arguments that make sense but you keep coming back with your nonsense and add nothing that hasn't been discussed many times over with people saying why what you are posting has nothing to do with the LRT network at all so please do us all a favor and stop with it

Yeah, like I’m going to censor myself because you don’t like my opinions.

You haven’t given me any arguments, your entire spiel is predicated on how it hasn't been officially confirmed yet. If opening day comes (big if at this point) and the rules mentioned have been implemented, then what?

Someone else may prove me wrong on this, someone with insider information, but I’ll be goddamned if you will.

Yeah, like I’m going to censor myself because you don’t like my opinions.

You haven’t given me any arguments, your entire spiel is predicated on how it hasn't been officially confirmed yet. If opening day comes (big if at this point) and the rules mentioned have been implemented, then what?

Someone else may prove me wrong on this, someone with insider information, but I’ll be goddamned if you will.
It's completely oblivious to me that you only accept your opinion and don't want to listen to anyone else. I'm not telling you to sensor them but to stop saying that they are fact when as you pointed out in your own post we don't actually know what is going to happen until the line opens later this year, I'm not really sure why people keep going on about how it's not going to be ready for any longer than that except to be funny which at this point is getting old.
I get that Metrolinx hasn't said anything and we haven't had any updates on it but as people have posted in the crosstown thread which is where this discussion should be, they are finishing up on more and more stations daily and even replacing the roads.

The LRT lines are significantly different from the streetcar network surely - if only because there are no crossing lines. Any switches are therefore solely for turn backs or MSF access, and therefore surely will occur at a wider interval?

The LRT lines are significantly different from the streetcar network surely - if only because there are no crossing lines. Any switches are therefore solely for turn backs or MSF access, and therefore surely will occur at a wider interval?
Switches might be less frequent, but since the regular intersections, which are also speed controlled, are not grade separated, there is no reason to assume any significant time savings. What's going to be the speed limit in between stops? I don't know what the road limit is, the city appears to not have any speed limit signs that I can see on street view, but if we assume 50 km/h, and assume the LRTs are going to be allowed to travel at such a speed, having to slow down to 25 to enter an intersection is going to cause huge time losses, especially if the slowing down process causes the car to miss its light.

Not to mention what a waste of energy it is going to be to require a vehicle to slow down for an intersection and then speed up again. Aren't we supposed to be in an eco-conscious age?

The Ontario government is hoping to contract out the work evolved to "new" companies. These "new" companies will employ new workers at a lower pay and without benefits. That should last until the now experienced workers demand a higher pay and benefits. Then the "new" companies will go out of business, and "new, new" companies take their place. Likely with the same executives and shareholders. And it starts all over again.
Canada line debacle allllll over again.

Must not forget that Doug Ford is anti-union. He's looking for the lowest paid workers for just about everything under the provincial government control. Getting some private company to operate transit will only last a few years, until those workers get organized. Then the government will look for some other company (same shareholders and executives) but under a different name. Then it starts all over again.

Five More Unions That Endorsed Doug Ford Are Now Condemning Ford’s Attack On Workers’ Rights

See link.
Endorsing the devil was always going to bite them in the ass.

This is incorrect. The Crosstown and Finch West are being supervised by the rapid transit department, not surface transit.

Dan

Furthermore, both Line 5 and Line 6 have gotten exceptions for travel 10 km/h above the speed limit (i.e. 60 km/h). However, that assumes that they have the ability to achieve those top speeds, which models have hinted that they do not. Not sure how much of a difference that makes in practice.

Back