View attachment 519342
Interesting... why is the colour not blue??
If it weren't for the line's name being printed, it'd be almost as if they did decide to renumber Sheppard to 3 (with the SRT gone), and the OL to 4, thereby grouping all 3 legacy subway lines together and the OL coming right after them.

Blue is not a great choice in proximity with yellow and green (Yonge and Bloor-Danforth lines). From an accessibility perspective, certain colour blind travellers may have difficulty distinguishing the blue from green.
As was recently mentioned in another thread, purple doesn't look as good combined with yellow & green, but having blue in between yellow/green & purple does bring a nice balance to it. Anyway I don't think many people would've mistaken the SRT to be a continuation of line 2 rather than a separate line, else they would've rebranded the SRT a different color a long time ago.

Edit: on 2nd thought, I too think it's not worth renumbering Sheppard to 3 and OL to 4, because such a change would imply grouping the purple with the yellow & green (yellow, green, purple, blue, in order), and seeing 3 as purple might be a bit counterintuitive. Which means they'd also need to rebrand Sheppard as SRT blue and the OL as purple (which would primarily intersect yellow & green), at which point even I think, why bother, better to keep the current arrangement of lines 1, 2, 3, 4 being yellow, green, blue, purple, in order.

Last edited:
Was this included in the East Harbour documents that were released today?
Yes - it's on some of the pages in the 60% Signage and Wayfinding drawing set. Which is poorly named as simply "Plans and Drawings" on the city website - https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...nt/application-details/?id=5211102&pid=694908

I don't see a big issue in the blue shade shifting a bit. I'm just happy they are going to use Line 3 instead of going some weird Metrolinx branding thing using letters or Greek symbols.

Yes - it's on some of the pages in the 60% Signage and Wayfinding drawing set. Which is poorly named as simply "Plans and Drawings" on the city website - https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...nt/application-details/?id=5211102&pid=694908

I don't see a big issue in the blue shade shifting a bit. I'm just happy they are going to use Line 3 instead of going some weird Metrolinx branding thing using letters or Greek symbols.
unless I've gone colour blind, it's clearly purple not blue.

It seems like this new Line 3 - Ontario Line indigo colour is a little to similar to the Sheppard Line colour to me. Originally the wayfinding material suggested a more pale blue with black lettering (in contrast with the white lettering on the yellow and green line) which would have been easily distinguishable.

It seems like this new Line 3 - Ontario Line indigo colour is a little to similar to the Sheppard Line colour to me. Originally the wayfinding material suggested a more pale blue with black lettering (in contrast with the white lettering on the yellow and green line) which would have been easily distinguishable.
Agreed. Metrolinx consultants making questionable choices. Is anyone surprised?

Agreed. Metrolinx consultants making questionable choices. Is anyone surprised?
Yeah, should just leave it as SRT blue, which is easily distinguishable from yellow, and also distinguishable enough from green (and purple, if & when the blue reaches it).

Maybe it's just me, but even I don't see indigo. The colour they used just looks like a light purple.

Just so everyone is aware, renderings at this stage of design are not representative of the final product. There are usually a lot of inconsistencies in them as they try to highlight the bigger picture, so I wouldn't put too much weight on the details of it. There are a lot of placeholders.

Just so everyone is aware, renderings at this stage of design are not representative of the final product. There are usually a lot of inconsistencies in them as they try to highlight the bigger picture, so I wouldn't put too much weight on the details of it. There are a lot of placeholders.
Maybe using the wrong colour was used intentionally as a distraction from how lame these renders are.

MX documentation has always clear that the line colour/number for the OL is essentially "to be confirmed" with the TTC, which is why it was close to the existing Line 3 branding, but slightly wrong. The TTC's future network map just has it using the existing Line 3 branding. It will almost certainly just use the former SRT colour and line number. Chances are a lot of the renders/documents we're seeing now were done pre-SRT shutdown so they didn't wanna go all in on replacing the SRT branding with the OL yet to avoid confusion. As we get further away from the SRT shutdown, I expect we'll start to see the reuse of the SRT branding for the OL more and more.

Back