Well beggars can't be choosers...we don't exactly have money trees growing around here
I wonder if I misremembered it being a cable stayed bridge because I can’t find any mention or render of it being a cable stayed bridge

This render also seems to differ a lot from previous renders in the length of the spans and number of pylons

1708098853769.jpeg

Sucks to see that they value engineered it down from a cable stayed bridge to a plain old beam bridge

I don't think it was ever a cable-stayed bridge. In fact I find this version fairly ok - much simpler than the mess of irregularly spaced pylons in the original concept.

AoD

Last edited:
Agreed that the new rendering is much better- looks much more significant.

it's still a shame Metrolinx isn't doing more with it still as it will be one of the longest bridges in the GTA. I don't quite understand their decision do spend the money on a signature bridge over the lower don valley and not the upper don, as the opportunity is so much better for the upper don.

Agreed that the new rendering is much better- looks much more significant.

it's still a shame Metrolinx isn't doing more with it still as it will be one of the longest bridges in the GTA. I don't quite understand their decision do spend the money on a signature bridge over the lower don valley and not the upper don, as the opportunity is so much better for the upper don.
The landmark bridge over the lower Don is intended to create a matching bridge to the one over the Humber Bay.

Perhaps there was a cable-stayed bridge back in the EA consultation for the Don Mill LRT, back in 2009?

Something rings a bell.

With a cable stayed bridge over the valley you're certainly increasing the risk of falling chunks of ice onto both the highway and paths below. Ice buildup on cable stays is a common issue in Vancouver, and I imagine would be even more prevalent here.
You could have a beam bridge over the highway with a single cable-stayed span over the rest of the valley

I guess if ice falling onto the DVP is a problem, and the span is only 600m or so, and there is no need to have a single span, it doesn't make sense to put in a cable stayed bridge for any reason other than aesthetics.

And similar pre-stressed concrete beam bridges have been built before, with longer spans too.

Raftsundet Bridge from Nofoten, Norway : 298m central span
1708105558319.png

Still would've cool to see something like this built with the tower at the north end of the valley
1708106083789.png

I think the choice of a basic bridge deck is fair, being directly adjacent to the Leaside bridge. A larger suspension or cable-stayed bridge may be a bit more obtrusive on overall valley views. I think you can make a different argument if this were a larger waterway.

Either way I think the front seat city view while riding this bridge is going to be unreal!

The new render looks a lot like this bridge: https://co-curate.ncl.ac.uk/byker-metro-bridge/ designed by Arup and constructed around 1980.
Cast in situ piers with glued (pre cast) segments, then post-tensioned. Arup is in one of the RFP teams. Arup is in one of the RFP teams for the underground section, not the elevated guideway.
Honestly doesn't look any worse than any other bridge I see when driving downtown via the DVP. In fact, I quite like it.

Back