Demolition work has started on Gertrude Pl.

PXL_20240307_140753614.jpg
PXL_20240307_140814574.jpg
PXL_20240307_140834502.jpg
PXL_20240307_140857605.jpg

Given that Pape station construction wasn't scheduled to begin until 2026, are they planning to just leave the site as rubble for 2 years, or is digging possible before contract execution?

They cleared Corktown pretty fast after they did the Demolition there a couple of years ago.

Also, is 2026 for station construction, or the pits for the TBMs?

So right now i think a majority of the work is pape station early works not directly connected to that above contract.
There is a separate

im like 99% sure the tbms arent being inserted here. Theyre being put in at the Nofrills at the rail corridor. Whether theyre extracted and reinserted on the other side of pape station like we did with crosstown is a different question

as for other timelines like we have seen with the Go Expansion, the "design phase" doesnt mean theres no work, but that only early works gets done, things like retaining walls.
They have to do lots of adjustments for the line 2 station as well

So right now i think a majority of the work is pape station early works not directly connected to that above contract.
There is a separate

im like 99% sure the tbms arent being inserted here. Theyre being put in at the Nofrills at the rail corridor. Whether theyre extracted and reinserted on the other side of pape station like we did with crosstown is a different question

as for other timelines like we have seen with the Go Expansion, the "design phase" doesnt mean theres no work, but that only early works gets done, things like retaining walls.
They have to do lots of adjustments for the line 2 station as well
They can't just bored right under Line 2. I do expect they'll have to underpin it with the traditional excavation techniques. So they'll have to dig some launch shafts. TTC does expect Pape terminal to close for years when they need the site.

Flew over ET Seton Park, and wow, they really clear cut the trees!

Guess they had to, but quite shocking to see in person.

I've done my best to illustrate exactly where the bridge will come across and tried to match it up with my drone shot.

Metrolinx:
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 10.18.29 AM.png

Google Maps:
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 10.13.51 AM.png

My Drone looking straight west from Don Mills Road Across to Beth Nealson Dr.:
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 10.25.49 AM.png

One thing I can't quite figure out from any of the Metrolinx maps is whether the bridge will actually have a curve to it as it nears Don Mills so that it can curve north in time for the Flemingdon Park Station.

Or whether it goes straight across and then a hard turn as soon as it reaches the other side.

Also, as far as I can find this is the ONLY bridge that doesn't have a render on the Metrolinx site. I don't think anyone expects it to be anything pretty, but I haven't seen ANY drawings of it.

Passengers are going to be EXTREMELY close to those high-tension wires. Like almost at eye level with them on the bridge and right beside them. EMF! ;)

Flew over ET Seton Park, and wow, they really clear cut the trees!

Guess they had to, but quite shocking to see in person.

I've done my best to illustrate exactly where the bridge will come across and tried to match it up with my drone shot.

Metrolinx:
View attachment 547148

Google Maps:
View attachment 547149

My Drone looking straight west from Don Mills Road Across to Beth Nealson Dr.:
View attachment 547150
They will replant afterwards. Hopefully the cut down trees will be put to good use. The circle of life

One thing I can't quite figure out from any of the Metrolinx maps is whether the bridge will actually have a curve to it as it nears Don Mills so that it can curve north in time for the Flemingdon Park Station.

Or whether it goes straight across and then a hard turn as soon as it reaches the other side.

The span of the bridge is straight and there will be a curve after the span on the elevated portion of the line.

That said, the main bridge span crosses a fairly short section of the ravine, so the elevated curve begins well before Don Mills. It's gentle enough there should not be a speed reduction. Potential pylon placement was documented somewhere though I can't find it at the moment.

Edit: Found the pylon location map:
oldraftea_footprint_18_donmillscurve.jpg

Last edited:
The bridge span does not completely cross the ravine, so the elevated curve begins well before Don Mills.

I read this a few times and I'm trying to picture how the train gets across the ravine if the bridge does not completely cross it. :)

Do you mean they're going to build out an earth embankment to reach the bridge as it nears the edge?

I read this a few times and I'm trying to picture how the train gets across the ravine if the bridge does not completely cross it. :)

Do you mean they're going to build out an earth embankment to reach the bridge as it nears the edge?

No. The issue is the definition of bridge. The bridge is short and barely crosses the river and is completely straight. The rest is defined as elevated guideway and curves.

The line doesn't touch the dirt at all on this side of the river, it's elevated the entire way to, and above, Eglinton.

I updated my previous post with the track diagram.

Back