What problem would be solved by calling Kennedy GO Eglinton instead? It is still far away from the original, much more well used, Eglinton station on line 1. Given the ridership levels of the GO station, it is fair to conclude that the subway station called Kennedy is by far the better used part of the station, and it makes sense for that to be the defining characteristic.
Fair point, which is why Eglinton/Kennedy would be the best choice of name to address both the pros and cons of the current name.

Kennedy and Midland are roughly equidistant from the rail corridor, so if anything, to minimize confusion, those infill stations could be called Midland-Lawrence and Midland-Finch.
Yeah, both the Stoufville line and the SRT run side by side and basically smack right in between Kennedy & Midland, so technically both street names are fair game. But I guess they had to pick one and stick to it, for the same reason College station isn't College/Carlton, or the 95 isn't called York Mills / Ellesmere.

Reactions: T3G
The houses on Hopedale at the north end of Pape are all down
IMG_0250.jpeg

Between Crosstown, Finch, and now this stretch, I hope the message sinks in..... Ontario is getting darn good at building above-ground transit infrastructure. And at reasonable cost. I am really impressed with how well this stretch of the project is coming along.
As for underground transit, that's a different story. Maybe we ought to attempt a lot less of it.

- Paul

ehhhh
at over a billion per km?
Not how i would describe it.

But it is good we are finally building higher level transit again

We really need to start looking at the next stage of transit expansion though
Slight comprehension error – he said above ground transit is coming in at a reasonable cost. The only relevant figures to use for this are from Finch LRT project since its cost represents an entirely above ground system.

$2.5B, plus any unannounced overrun, got us 10km of track, a fleet and maintenance facility, two underground stations, and a fair number of roadway improvements.

We really need to start looking at the next stage of transit expansion though
This is what disturbs me - Eglinton and Finch LRT's will be opening soon, and the OL is well under construction, so...what's next? Why isn't there any talk about next phases yet? We can't afford to pat ourselves on the back and chill - transit expansion needs to be continuous, without the massive gaps we've had in the past. At minimum, the next round of major LRT's should be going ahead immediately, as well as things that have been quietly whispered about such as OL extensions both north and west, and Sheppard extensions. This is very annoying.

We can't afford to pat ourselves on the back and chill - transit expansion needs to be continuous,
Eglinton West lrt... Sheppard/yonge North subways...go expansion projects...

Various level of governments are going though their master transportation plans to the 2050s now... I believe the consultations are starting to revise what we are going to build next...

Slight comprehension error – he said above ground transit is coming in at a reasonable cost. The only relevant figures to use for this are from Finch LRT project since its cost represents an entirely above ground system.

$2.5B, plus any unannounced overrun, got us 10km of track, a fleet and maintenance facility, two underground stations, and a fair number of roadway improvements.
I mean sure if you build at-grade lrt of course its cheaper, but i straight disagree that makes it the option we need to continue building.
Look at the crosstown thread, every day theres someone like "we should have elevated it"/ Like yea lol.

Tunneling is needed, its not like we can avoid it.

Eglinton West lrt... Sheppard/yonge North subways...go expansion projects...

Various level of governments are going though their master transportation plans to the 2050s now... I believe the consultations are starting to revise what we are going to build next...

I was including those projects in my statement, all of those are done just a bit after 2030.
Whats next? Sheppard is the only one in consultation stage.

Maybe Eglinton East, and QQE, but those dont even have funding yet,

This is what disturbs me - Eglinton and Finch LRT's will be opening soon, and the OL is well under construction, so...what's next? Why isn't there any talk about next phases yet? We can't afford to pat ourselves on the back and chill - transit expansion needs to be continuous, without the massive gaps we've had in the past. At minimum, the next round of major LRT's should be going ahead immediately, as well as things that have been quietly whispered about such as OL extensions both north and west, and Sheppard extensions. This is very annoying.

To be fair the ongoing changes to the GO network will go a long way in improving transit infrastructure as well. Electric trains and EMUs will increase average speeds in the GO network even with adding a bunch of stations within Toronto.

Back