I know this is Toronto and we love our construction delays but the martin goodman trail was supposed to reopen in March and it's still closed.
Someone from the SwimOP site got injured due to it.

I looked up the original report. It was supposed to be complete by March 1st.

Canadian Architect also has a brief blurb on the above sans paywall:

Interesting that the government agreed to stop rather than actually fight it in court. It doesn't seem like a very strong case for the activists. It's just a week until the hearing starts, but could be months to get a decision. That said, it seems they didn't agree to stop work pending the decision, just until the day of the hearing.

ROPA [Rebuilding Ontario Place Act] exempts the government from adhering to the Ontario Heritage Act and the Environmental Protection Act.

OPP noted that ROPA allows the government to ignore Ontario’s Growth Plan, the Environmental Bill of Rights, and the Provincial Policy Statement.

It also noted that ROPA allows the government to destroy “an internationally lauded cultural landscape,” which includes both buildings at Ontario Place and its integrated landscape.

Additionally, ROPA exempts Ford and his government from any liability for acts of bad faith, misfeasance, or failure to meet any fiduciary obligations.

I get that the activists don't like it, but these things are all squarely within the authority of an elected provincial government.

Interesting that the government agreed to stop rather than actually fight it in court. It doesn't seem like a very strong case for the activists. It's just a week until the hearing starts, but could be months to get a decision. That said, it seems they didn't agree to stop work pending the decision, just until the day of the hearing.

I get that the activists don't like it, but these things are all squarely within the authority of an elected provincial government.
I think we should be far more disturbed that this puts this government above the law and accountability.

Reactions: PL1

It's probably similar to the Osgoode station OL case.

AoD

It's probably similar to the Osgoode station OL case.

AoD
True but it's a bit like seeing police parking in bike lanes - one law for them and one for the rest of us.

1720797138830.png

I think we should be far more disturbed that this puts this government above the law and accountability.

Well, the government is elected and makes the law (within the confines of the constitution), so it's actually the most accountable. Arguably, any system that prioritizes private interests over the choices of the legislature is anti-democratic.

People might disagree with what the government is doing, but that doesn't mean it's illegal or actionable in court. These legal proceedings won't be successful and are a waste of time and money; maybe a publicity stunt. The government likely agreed to proceed to a full hearing simply to avoid further delay.

I'd say that the group should spend their effort on a media campaign, but almost everyone knows about the construction at Ontario Place and nobody (except a smallish, vocal group) seems to care. The government is polling extremely well.

I'm no fan of the PCs, but maybe it's time to change tactics or move on, which Olivia Chow seems to have recognized.

To me, the far more concerning issue is that the PC government now routinely refuses to release information on the "commercial" deals it makes, which deprives the public of information to which it should be entitled.

To me, the far more concerning issue is that the PC government now routinely refuses to release information on the "commercial" deals it makes, which deprives the public of information to which it should be entitled.
To me, we seem to be saying the same thing here...

...as I am also willing to move on if government is not trying to subvert rule of law in the process. Excusing itself from it's own regulations and legislation seems to reek of that, IMO. But I also never claimed it was illegal, just problematic...there is a difference.

The government can always excuse itself from its own regulations and legislation. The government passed all that stuff in the first place! I don't know if I'm blowing up any big secret or something, but the government could just repeal the Environmental Protection Act rather than exempting this project from it. That's what we elect governments to do, is legislate.

Back