Maybe a retail/residential/hotel development like Blue Mountain Village in Collingwood on the Ontario Place parking lots?

Maybe a retail/residential/hotel development like Blue Mountain Village in Collingwood on the Ontario Place parking lots?

Blue Mountain village is a better version of the shops at don mills. I wanted to buy a condo there but instead opted for a house in Collingwood.

The government will never be able to run Ontario Place well, no matter what kind of plan they eventually comes up with or how much money it throws in.
Ontario should never expect to run a tourist attraction and leave it to the private sector.

Last weekend I went by it, and thought, wow, such mediocre and uninteresting facility on such precious land! what a shame!

I was at a wedding last night at the Atlantis Pavilion. The ceremony was held on the rooftop, which is a great space though a little shabby with age.

7387224468_44aee0c3ac_b.jpg

7387227036_d283c5ab1f_b.jpg

That great photo of the Cinesphere sitting there unused breaks my heart, this whole mess is heartbreaking. It probably should be sold off to the private sector to be run as an amusement park with conditions that several buildings must remain.

Parkland envisioned for majority of Ontario Place

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/07/26/ontario-place-revitalization482.html

... The group envisions a "state of the art park" on the edge of Lake Ontario, with some residential development and possibly a venue that could host a variety of cultural and community events year-round.

Any new developments on the waterfront, Tory's panel recommended, should endeavour to protect sightlines to the water.....

Last edited:

Uhh, its all about the Forum, the children’s village, splash park, and a couple memorable waterfront bars..lol
Now-a-days you are going to need a lot more than that to bring people back....i expect to be disapointed from the JT report later today

John Tory will urge the revival of the beloved Forum for free music concerts in his sweeping report on revitalization of Ontario Place, the Star has learned.

Overall the report is a good one. It references Millennium Park quite a bit which is apt given that OP was Toronto's MP in its early days. I'm just not sure if any revitalization will get done with the same standards or the same ambition. There is simply no recent track record here, and quite the opposite in fact! Still we can hope.

The one element that strikes me as contradictory is the addition of residential to the grounds. Why? The report already acknowledges that more and more people live near or adjacent to OP. Why not just leave it at that? In the absence of highrises 10% of the area for residential will not add much of the residential 'vibrancy' they are looking for, imo.

Back