March 27
4468406648_651cb5b2d8_b.jpg

Actually, I wouldn't mind an indoor (bowling alley) / outdoor amusement area around here.
There is nothing to do near Queen's Quay at night during the Fall/Winter/Spring seasons.

That plan looks great. I hope the next mayor continues to support waterfront development.

Wow, thanks AoD,
The details are really coming along but I still feel let down that a good chunck of this site is essential bus loading and parking lot entry. Especially since the Graphic Pavement looks so promising (my vote is on the second option by far). I understand the need for Bus parking especially after the street promenade gets build, and I don't have a suggestion how to fix this, but I just feel generally let down and I think the planners are downplaying the fact that at least a quarter of the existing parking lot will still feel like a parking lot. Oh well. The details are nice but I don't know if this is going to have the impact that this project could have.
Edit: Wasn't this supposed to have started already? The last report had the underground parking construction slated for mid 2010? Not that I'm surprised but the new report doesn't mention a start date at all.
Edit edit: Ah I see in the new report they're planning for 'site mobilization' summer 2010.

Last edited:
I dunno -- the whole "cultural village" thing seems hugely misguided and way too twee, like something one would find at Canada's Wonderland rather than an urban waterfront. This is allegedly an "urban plaza", and yet we're going to have a mock village there selling ethnic knicknacks? How is that appropriate, or even respectful of the potential "cultures", especially given that Toronto is already noted for its vibrant actual cultural neighbourhoods.

And what the heck is up with the "Canada Square"? First off, Toronto already has a Canada Square, at Yonge and Eglinton. Second, this is Toronto, and we don't have to represent the whole of the damn country -- how about something that just refers to this city? With all the maple leaf motifs on Queens Quay, the re-development seems more like a national project than one for the actual city. Finally, with such a grand name, shouldn't it be, well, bigger? More impressive? It's just a small open area surrounded by trees -- why put the whole weight of "Canada" on that?

I really feel like the planner didn't have any authentic creative ideas when it came to this area. Perhaps part of the problem is lack of funding, which is why we're getting essentially open spaces and the promise of a few standalone lowrise buildings later on, rather than, say, an arts building as an appropriate companion to the PowerPlant and the theatre, or a sculpture garden, or some other major public work.

Second, this is Toronto, and we don't have to represent the whole of the damn country -- how about something that just refers to this city? With all the maple leaf motifs on Queens Quay, the re-development seems more like a national project than one for the actual city. Finally, with such a grand name, shouldn't it be, well, bigger? More impressive? It's just a small open area surrounded by trees -- why put the whole weight of "Canada" on that?

I disagree. As Canada's great metropolis, it is Toronto's duty to represent the country. And yes, with a name like Canada Square, one would expect something grander.

I agree with your points Tulse. The finishes seem very nice but the project overall feels a bit schizophrenic , and the plan is much ado about nothing. I also agree with the idea that if you're going to put the country's name on a waterfront square that it should actually be more than an empty space with a view. Good lord, is this the best they can come up with? I wouldn't name that space after Markham, never mind the nation!

Don't forget, the Feds are paying for this one...

As to the "cultural village" aspect - that's not even in the scheme for now - I think above all else it's meant to suggest a certain built form than programming.

AoD

Last edited:
I disagree. As Canada's great metropolis, it is Toronto's duty to represent the country. And yes, with a name like Canada Square, one would expect something grander.

Toronto representing the country ? Good luck with that one. The rest of the country isn't happy with that kind of positioning and neither are those of us who want the best for this city. Toronto being Toronto, and Damn the Torpedoes.

...With all the maple leaf motifs on Queens Quay, the re-development seems more like a national project than one for the actual city....
Great point. If you went to an American city and the streets were designed in Stars and Bars, what would you think about the design?

spaced:

To be fair though, maple leaf isn't the same as stars and stripes considering that it's also a natural motif that reflects the plantings.

AoD

... and NYC has its Statue of Liberty so it is not so unreasonable for one of the country's major cities to dip its toes into they heady waters of nationalistic iconography. Lord knows we shouldn't look for this in Montreal or Quebec City.

... and NYC has its Statue of Liberty so it is not so unreasonable for one of the country's major cities to dip its toes into they heady waters of nationalistic iconography.

If the waterfront architects were proposing a 100m copper statue of the Lady of Peace, Order, and Good Government, I wouldn't complain. It's the incredible smallness of vision, the cheap tokenism, that I most object to.

(And frankly, I imagine that most of the Rest of Canada(tm) is pretty damned tired of Toronto thinking of itself as representing all of the nation.)

True, but this is hardly where their grievances with Toronto would start or end so why care really? Lady Peace, Order and Good Government? I imagine she would be wearing sensible shoes but a good idea nonetheless.

Back