Now that's it's been about 18 months since its unveiling, what is the general consensus with Canada Square? Has it settled into its surroundings or still disappoint?

It's empty 99% of the time. Do you ever hear anybody talking about it, besides on this site? Doesn't that speak for itself? Ontario Square is even worse. It looks and feels like a parking lot. Few people ever sit there and I have not seen it used for any cultural events. At this point, I have no idea why money was spent to build it. Maybe this summer they will program it in some way and create a use for it, hopefully.

It's empty 99% of the time. Do you ever hear anybody talking about it, besides on this site? Doesn't that speak for itself? Ontario Square is even worse. It looks and feels like a parking lot. Few people ever sit there and I have not seen it used for any cultural events. At this point, I have no idea why money was spent to build it. Maybe this summer they will program it in some way and create a use for it, hopefully.

Walked thru Ontario square today. Lots of people; sunny day. Art programming was photos; Contact-style. Cars parking underneath. Amsterdam PACKED for the game. Workers putting up tents for something. All this despite the ongoing construction. Relax.

Walked thru Ontario square today. Lots of people; sunny day. Art programming was photos; Contact-style. Cars parking underneath. Amsterdam PACKED for the game. Workers putting up tents for something. All this despite the ongoing construction. Relax.

What time were you there at? I'll go there tomorrow at the same time and take some pictures. Let's put it to the test.

I feel like the liveliness of any of these parks and squares on the slips would be greatly increased with a water's edge connection like the footbridges were supposed to provide. Or they need something interesting people specifically go to the square for, like sugar beach. Otherwise everyone will just walk past it along Queen's Quay.

I feel like the liveliness of any of these parks and squares on the slips would be greatly increased with a water's edge connection like the footbridges were supposed to provide. Or they need something interesting people specifically go to the square for, like sugar beach. Otherwise everyone will just walk past it along Queen's Quay.

Don't underestimate the number of tourists who amble along the waterfront. Been by twice in the past month and it's been well occupied. I don't think the square is a destination in and of itself by any stretch. But I bet many see it simply as a clean, green extension of our boardwalks, a nice place to sit after a walk along the water or through the Power Plant/Harbourfront Centre.

Personally, I think the square is perfect for food trucks. I remember seeing a couple down there last summer by the Espression cafe, but I'm not sure if they plan to return/become a regular fixture. Here's hoping!

The squares are used as much as you'd expect for being in a big, dusty, hostile construction zone. Even if it wasn't, I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect that people will wander into these squares and sit around or whatever when the harbourfront boardwalk is right next to it.

Their utility will be realized during events like the food festivals and markets that have been going on for years in Ann Tindal Park (the astroturf patch on the other side of the Harbourfront Centre buliding next to the amphitheater).

The squares are used as much as you'd expect for being in a big, dusty, hostile construction zone. Even if it wasn't, I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect that people will wander into these squares and sit around or whatever when the harbourfront boardwalk is right next to it.

Their utility will be realized during events like the food festivals and markets that have been going on for years in Ann Tindal Park (the astroturf patch on the other side of the Harbourfront Centre buliding next to the amphitheater).

Hopefully they get frequent and good quality programming in these spaces. Last year it was like there was an invisible force filed between the boardwalk and the new squares. Busy weekends had the boardwalk crowded almost shoulder to shoulder with only a handful of people in Canada/Ontario square. The fake grass they installed north of the square also seems to repel people.

I also walked by the square yesterday around 6pm, showing a friend from Miami our waterfront. I pointed out to him that this was Canada Square, just completed last year, and at that very moment he yawned. Coincidence....? I think not.

Miami (at least Miami Beach) is nothing special either. Sure they have the boardwalk but its more of a path, try walking along Collins anywhere but South Beach, there's absolutely nothing but private condos and hotels. The beach is nice I suppose but anytime I've been its been riddled with jellyfish.

^Jellyfish are going to be our new overlords someday, so better get used to them.

What baffles me about Canada/Ontario square is the galling lack of a water feature--I can't think of a more obvious place for one. There seems to be an odd antipathy between Toronto and fountains.

^Jellyfish are going to be our new overlords someday, so better get used to them.

What baffles me about Canada/Ontario square is the galling lack of a water feature--I can't think of a more obvious place for one. There seems to be an odd antipathy between Toronto and fountains.

Well considering the way our city neglects its fountains - the Salmon run and Queen/University ones come to mind - you can't blame architects for avoiding them.

I'm not sure the inclusion of fountains is an architects decision though. More like the bean counters and various other tall foreheads who cling to the notion that the mediocre is more than ample for this city.

On another note, someone upthread mentioned the wooden bridges meant to connect the quays. Have those been cancelled, or just deferred until the next WT cash infusion? (Sorry, I'm just too lazy to read the entire thread for a possible answer)

Last edited:
Is Claude Cormier's bigass Four Seasons fountain still in limbo? Plant it here!

Back