You're right, it is. And one positive there is that hopefully it'll help things turn around in this rather sad area. It'd be great to see.

I think its looking good. It is blue like so many things lately but it's a darker richer blue than most. It's starting to peek out everywhere, from many parts of ryerson, dundas square, what you walk south through allan garderns the perspective already makes it look as tall as FCP. It's a nice addition in my opinion.

I think its looking good. It is blue like so many things lately but it's a darker richer blue than most. It's starting to peek out everywhere, from many parts of ryerson, dundas square, what you walk south through allan garderns the perspective already makes it look as tall as FCP. It's a nice addition in my opinion.

The views should be great there for many years to come.

I'm left wondering what the shafts running down the east and west sides of the building are. They don't seem to pierce into the retail at grade so it's a bit of a mystery.

This thing is pretty bleak. : /

On The contrary! think it looks great. the dark brick precast cladding and offset balcony glazing help to both ground the podium while lightening its load. And as far as window wall cladding goes, I dont mind whats going on above. Its well executed without a mishmash of misaligned mullions.

On The contrary! think it looks great. the dark brick precast cladding and offset balcony glazing help to both ground the podium while lightening its load. And as far as window wall cladding goes, I dont mind whats going on above. Its well executed without a mishmash of misaligned mullions.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. To my mind it's more just the context of the building--the neighborhood. Sometimes I zone out and realize: wow, parts of this city are incredibly ugly. Hopefully this building signals a change.

Is there any city in North America that doesn't have ugly parts? It just goes along with being a big city. I think you can find uglier streets than this in north Toronto's strip mall hell.

Last edited:
Yeah, I see what you're saying. To my mind it's more just the context of the building--the neighborhood. Sometimes I zone out and realize: wow, parts of this city are incredibly ugly. Hopefully this building signals a change.

Parts of the city is a gross understatement.
Whoever thinks this building is ugly or boring, I don't know how they deal with 85% of other buildings that are worse.

Is there any city in North America that doesn't have ugly parts? It just goes along with being a big city. I think you can find uglier streets than this in north Toronto's strip mall hell.

Yep, I don't deny that. North Toronto is another beast altogether. And sure, every city has its crappy parts. But as ksun alluded to directly above, I do believe for whatever it's worth that 'net' Toronto has a public realm problem, compared to other cities.

This is getting off topic, so I won't take things too far--and shabby public realm comments abound on this forum. But still. Sometimes you look up and realize that we have a long, long way to go in this city. I feel embarrassed in front of tourists often. It's sad.

I think we are entering a new phase of this latest development cycle when builders are starting to understand more that public presence matters and that materials matter in selling their projects. Pace would have been a really tough sell just 10 years ago when the eastern downtown was still in many minds synonymous with downtrodden. That Pace and many others are actually being successfully in the eastern core sold and built is a testament to this change.

Pace for what it's worth, has great presence when walking by on the street.

From Richmond and Jarvis:

IMG_20150330_140446.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150330_140446.jpg
    IMG_20150330_140446.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 1,315
Yep, I don't deny that. North Toronto is another beast altogether. And sure, every city has its crappy parts. But as ksun alluded to directly above, I do believe for whatever it's worth that 'net' Toronto has a public realm problem, compared to other cities.

This is getting off topic, so I won't take things too far--and shabby public realm comments abound on this forum. But still. Sometimes you look up and realize that we have a long, long way to go in this city. I feel embarrassed in front of tourists often. It's sad.

Yeah frankly it's embarrassing when you go visit other cities and come back here and you realize how bleak most parts of this city looks. Seems people here don't care. It's the Toronto way.

Back