Any idea what the tower crane that has sprouted out of the parking lot of the new Honda Dealership is for?

IMAG0258.jpg

It seems to have been erected last Friday the 21st, according to the Canary District web cam.

1417059279644.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0258.jpg
    IMAG0258.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,580
  • 1417059279644.jpg
    1417059279644.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,605
Are you sure it's been open a month? I drive across the Lakeshore every day from the east and I swear Cherry was still closed at Lakeshore until a few weeks ago.

Yep, here I go ranting about grey spandrel and too many grey condos. Waterfront Toronto (and Pam McConnell's office) has not given me any answers, so I hope they somehow, see this video. I know it won't change anything but I just need to vent and I think Youtube and UT are the best places to do that. [video=youtube_share;JzMYch4G54w]http://youtu.be/JzMYch4G54w[/video]

I like how you cleverly shot around the one gorgeous black building to make your all grey point.

I love the grey. I think it looks sharp and sophisticated. I love grey brick. I wish we had more buildings like this.

I think the West Don Lands is going to be incredible when finished. I can't wait for it to be fully open.

I love how you said, you questioned Waterfront Toronto about the Grey but got no answers and are still waiting for answers.

Hahahahahaha...

What the hell do you expect them to say? Oh you made a little YouTube film about how the area is mostly grey. Hold on let us redo the facades on all the buildings. Let us start painting the whole area a rainbow of colour for you. I mean what in the world do you want them to answer with?

It reminds me of another YouTube film where a bunch of weirdos at Doors Open Toronto 'uncover the truth' about fluoride in our water by going to the RC Harris water treatment plant and asking the tour guide there the hard questions about the chemicals they put in our water. The tour guide could barely contain his laughter.

Seriously. Put your time to better use, it's a cute video but you aren't going to change a thing. Nor should you. The area looks great.

Here watch this commercial. Maybe it will cheer you up. :)

[video=youtube;OsTVYazftFY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsTVYazftFY[/video]

I like how you cleverly shot around the one gorgeous black building to make your all grey point.

I love the grey. I think it looks sharp and sophisticated. I love grey brick. I wish we had more buildings like this.
<snip>

"great"? "incredible"? "More grey"? "sharp and sophisticated"?

Really? His gripes about the abundance of grey in this area are legit IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand not everyone likes grey. I happen to like grey brick. It's better than yellow for the most part. What I don't get is why are people so concern over one "grey district" with dozens of red brick districts and hundreds more subdivisions of various shades of ugly reds. Hopefully future non Pan Am buildings conform to the grey brick motif. The grey offsets all the red of the distillery.

Last edited:

<snip>

Power to you for liking the grey (drab as it may be), but this post was totally inappropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like grey in moderation. I can appreciate grey stone/brick (though I much prefer red) and other quality materials. I am not a fan of grey spandrel or grey painted metal. I find grey to be a dull, depressing colour but I can take it in small doses. What I have a hard time accepting is that all 8 new buildings at the West Don Lands are grey, and that it's a good thing. I called Waterfront Toronto on about 5 occasions and was passed around to different people but none of them seemed to know what was going on or why things were done this way. I first called Pam McConnel's office with the simple questions of who is responsible for the area being all grey, why did they switch from the original renderings and will the future buildings also be all grey. McConnell's office could not answer those questions, so they told me to call Waterfront Toronto, who was responsible for the design and getting it built.

What do I want Waterfront Toronto to answer with? The truth about why it was designed this way and will it continue. I think we all have a right to know and understand why it was designed this way and who was responsible for it. If I don't like something, I have every right to question it and express my disappointment. Nobody has to agree with me and I'm not asking for that. If I can make Waterfront Toronto think about if this all grey theme should continue there, I think it's a good thing. I care about my city and I will continue making my opinions known to McConnell, Waterfront Toronto and the Youtube community. If you like it all grey, hawc, good for you. Odds are, it will probably continue to be all grey buildings but I'll keep on my quest for a bit of diversity.

And YES, I would prefer a rainbow to an all grey world. Toronto is grey enough, we need some COLOUR!

Last but not least, Waterfront Toronto says it's accountable to Torontonians and in their newsletter, they clearly say that if you have any questions, so call them. I've spoken to a number of people there, some of whom actually agreed with me but I was always referred to the wrong person, who did not know the answers. Each one would refer me to someone else and in the end, I never got to speak to anyone related to this area. I just kept going in circles.

hawc, do you have to be so sarcastic in your comments? I don't expect everyone to agree with me but they can at least be civil about it. I realize some people are a lot more conservative then I am but I accept that. (begrudgingly)

Last edited:

Back