It's amazing what the PanAms achieved, and in a climate and context where so little of substance or quality is achieved by the city! It's exciting to imagine what the Olympics would do for us one day... 2028!
upload_2015-10-4_12-10-59.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-4_12-10-59.png
    upload_2015-10-4_12-10-59.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,059
LOL, the only thing 'bankrupt' is vision, optimism and confidence. Sad version of Toronto you live in, sad.

I'm just glad that those who envisioned and planned for the Panams didn't have such a bankrupt vision!
For what it's worth, I was actually in strongly favour of the PAG as they require facilities and 'villages' that can easily be re-purposed for use by 'regular folk' after the games are over. The Olympics demand huge stadia that are not so easily reused and experience in most previous locations shows HUGE cost-overruns and debt. I would MUCH rather see us bidding on a World's Fair as this brings people to the City over a 6-month period, still expedites 'infrastructure' and improvements.

DSC, that's all up for debate though right? Yes indeed, we made a velodrome that will anchor a new community in Milton and will be used by 'regular folk' as well as the best in this sport. The anti-games crowd fought this though, fought the aquatics centre, fought the Panams in general and all the other projects these games ignited, including this beautiful new development in the Don Lands. The olympics is really just a matter of scale though. The Panams have already positively demonstrated what can be achieved on a smaller scale... and not to take this too far off topic, there is already a hefty thread here devoted to battling over an olympics bid!

The on-topic fact here remains the success of the Don Lands and the future promise they inspire... all thanks to the Panams!

Did I miss something? Is it open to pedestrians now?
Which "it" do you mean? The area between Cherry, Old Eastern, Corktown Common and the rail berm is still blocked off to everyone except contractors. It will all, apparently, open next spring when most of the construction involved in converting the "Village" to housing etc is complete.

When the streetcar opens, that's when life will come to the Pan-Am Village. I can't wait for that to happen, and for the retail to open. Hopefully, there will be some nice cafe/restaurant/bar patios to hang out in.

In regards to restaurants, we know that a third location of Tabulé will be opening in the Canary District.

I'm looking forward to the fences being down finally next year, but am still happy to look through them when in the area:

PanAmIMG_8420.jpg
PanAmIMG_8422.jpg
PanAmIMG_8424.jpg

Attachments

• PanAmIMG_8420.jpg
    PanAmIMG_8420.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 1,028
  • PanAmIMG_8422.jpg
    PanAmIMG_8422.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 1,070
  • PanAmIMG_8424.jpg
    PanAmIMG_8424.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 1,039
That old red brick building looks gorgeous. Still, part of me misses it in its old down & dirty incarnation. The Canary was a great hangout, even if the food itself was never the draw.

Thanks for the photos Interchange.

Gosh, that last photo shows you how important the Canary is in breaking up the grey spandrel monotony.

Back