Agreed; that's my thoughts. According to the floorplans and renderings there is no tower in this scheme. This is a far easier proposal to get approved and developed and much sooner to bring in income. Plus, they may have plans to buy up other neighbouring properties over time for a larger-scale mixed-use development down the road.

hmm, there's a building in that render on some side of the site ?

That would be the Tridel (I think) residential building. The one that is having issues with The Atrium On Bay rising higher.

Yay another Moxie's, Milestones, Turtle Jack's, Kelsey's and Montana's!

3094wpe.gif

Hmm. I'm never one to discourage an animated streetscape but it does look like a placeholder.

Guess we can move it out of the "high and mid-rise" thread.

Commercial should stay here.

Indeed. The garbage area/loading docks for the Atrium are mid-block, pretty much across the street from here. It's not very conducive in the summer for enjoying food and drinks on a patio with rotting garbage smell filling the street and noisy loading trucks.

Yay another Moxie's, Milestones, Turtle Jack's, Kelsey's and Montana's!

That's what I was thinking!

If this were the Urban Colorado Springs or Urban Regina forum, I might be excited, but this is the Urban Toronto forum.

The prospect of 1 storey, commercial teardown architecture housing large format chain family restaurants is not something to get out of bed for.

A story is now up on the front page, and it confirms some of the speculation in this thread…

The lease terms will be about 15 years. The goal is to have the restaurants ready to open in time for TIFF 2015.

Interest in the four locations is high and includes U.S. restaurateurs who do not yet have a footprint in Canada, said Feinstein.
“We’ve been working quietly for the past couple of weeks,” he said.

Cheesecake Factory really comes to mind here! That, or PF Changs (even thought they have a location in north Toronto)

http://www.thestar.com/business/201...ore_to_be_replaced_by_row_of_restaurants.html

A bit surprised - guess it's a placeholder until the site really gets redeveloped.

AoD

Brookfield did this with Bay Adelaide East. South of Temperence had a demo clause in their lease. Owners didn't care, because (for a time) it became one of the most, if not the most, profitable resto in Toronto.

I hope that if they're serious about turning this into a restaurant row they'll actually design it at a scale befitting a two-lane, urban street (a la Elm, Baldwin, or King West @ John), and not the scale of a suburban outlet mall.

Back