ericmacm

Member Bio
Reaction score
Single 14s tower development at 598-608 Springbank Drive, at the intersection of Springbank and Wonderland in London. Construction on this building is almost fully finished.

1655930161378_hero-towe.jpg

Earlier this morning. Note the blue LED strip. More buildings across London are starting to incorporate lighting features, which I really like.

IMG_5650.jpeg

Thanks! I am wondering if this area is considered urban fringe or inner suburb? Have noticed a lot of growth in the areas just outside the core in London, almost equal to that of downtown.

Thanks! I am wondering if this area is considered urban fringe or inner suburb? Have noticed a lot of growth in the areas just outside the core in London, almost equal to that of downtown.
I think this is pretty subjective depending on who you ask, but I myself would consider this location an inner suburb given the surrounding land uses, It definitely sits in a transitionary zone, though. Springbank east of Wonderland has a handful of somewhat similar developments in the planning phases so the area is slowly on its way to being more urban. It still remains a lot more disconnected from the downtown fabric given the configuration of Horton between Wharncliffe and downtown as a mini-freeway.

London has always been weird this way, where dense development really is decentralized across the city as opposed to being more concentrated in the downtown core. It’s hard to say what specific combination of factors are influencing this, but whatever it is, it has been a factor for a very long time.

I think this is pretty subjective depending on who you ask, but I myself would consider this location an inner suburb given the surrounding land uses, It definitely sits in a transitionary zone, though. Springbank east of Wonderland has a handful of somewhat similar developments in the planning phases so the area is slowly on its way to being more urban. It still remains a lot more disconnected from the downtown fabric given the configuration of Horton between Wharncliffe and downtown as a mini-freeway.

London has always been weird this way, where dense development really is decentralized across the city as opposed to being more concentrated in the downtown core. It’s hard to say what specific combination of factors are influencing this, but whatever it is, it has been a factor for a very long time.
Thanks! I think that is a feature of Canadian urban landscapes and it comes from the federal housing programs of the 1960s and more adherence to English forms of planning. I think that the spreading of higher forms of housing, not all affordable, more evenly across the landscape has served us and residents well.

I've always considered that part of town the burbs, but a more older part where London started to sprawl out I gather...

Back