You actually believed in renderings for condo projects in this town?

AoD
I find it incredibly depressing that we have cynically accepted that we are being misled by the marketing materials of the local condo developers. I also realize there is nothing in place to stop the practice from happening. The absurd overuse of grey spandrel in this city is bewildering and is testament to the bottom dollar attitude that permeates the sclerotic business here (the real cynic in me says it is because of massive corruption, but that is another discussion for another time). Like Nobu, the creation here of yet another grey spandrel mess is disappointing, yet entirely predictable. I realize the building still has a way to go and could, hopefully, surprise us.

Toronto is in a period of unprecedented growth; a tremendous opportunity to create a varied and interesting built environment presented itself and has largely been ignored. The entertainment district is an oasis of grey mediocrity. There are, of course, a few notable exceptions and the future holds some promise. However, most of my favourite buildings, including office towers, built in the last 20 years have been designed by foreign firms. I find that dispiriting. I personally prefer variety over uniformity. The local firm HPA have shown themselves to be willing to break the mould and are, in my opinion, far and away the best highrise designers in this city.

AoD
Like with all advertising, I don't believe what it claims to be until proven otherwise. But I am not sure everyone gets that and I suspect, conveniently so to the advantage of the developers...

...so in the end, renders are fairly deceptive, regardless of the disclaimers or foreknowledge as to what they are. And that's likely intentional, IMO.

I find it incredibly depressing that we have cynically accepted that we are being misled by the marketing materials of the local condo developers. I also realize there is nothing in place to stop the practice from happening. The absurd overuse of grey spandrel in this city is bewildering and is testament to the bottom dollar attitude that permeates the sclerotic business here (the real cynic in me says it is because of massive corruption, but that is another discussion for another time). Like Nobu, the creation here of yet another grey spandrel mess is disappointing, yet entirely predictable. I realize the building still has a way to go and could, hopefully, surprise us.

Toronto is in a period of unprecedented growth; a tremendous opportunity to create a varied and interesting built environment presented itself and has largely been ignored. The entertainment district is an oasis of grey mediocrity. There are, of course, a few notable exceptions and the future holds some promise. However, most of my favourite buildings, including office towers, built in the last 20 years have been designed by foreign firms. I find that dispiriting. I personally prefer variety over uniformity. The local firm HPA have shown themselves to be willing to break the mould and are, in my opinion, far and away the best highrise designers in this city.

Part of it is cynicism, and part of it is understanding that it is for marketing, not planning purposes. Don't go wow at the first sign of renderings - always take renderings for what they are and consult the actual planning documents; also learn to read the renderings to identify clear signs of gross artistic license that bears little to no bearing to reality.

AoD

Part of it is cynicism, and part of it is understanding that it is for marketing, not planning purposes. Don't go wow at the first sign of renderings - always take renderings for what they are and consult the actual planning documents; also learn to read the renderings to identify clear signs of gross artistic license that bears little to no bearing to reality.

AoD
...admittedly though, that's fairly sage advice.

AoD

True but this is really, really bad. This is deception. You should be allowed to sue for this. Developers in this city for thr most part don’t give a shit and Thry never have to pay the price of lying to the public so they just keep going.

December 10, 2021

IMG_20211210_095642920.jpg

IMG_20211210_095650458.jpg

IMG_20211210_095719829_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Back