17 October 2010:

dsc01232hm.jpg

thanks for the update hypno-toad, hopfully this development might spark the demolition of the buildings directly to the south, they might be the grossest thing on all of bay street.

I could actually envision a really interesting development where they put something large on the parking lot while retaining the old houses for use as restaurants or small retail. It might end up a little like Baldwin Village or King West at John

I could actually envision a really interesting development where they put something large on the parking lot while retaining the old houses for use as restaurants or small retail. It might end up a little like Baldwin Village or King West at John

Or an extension of Elm Street between Yonge and Bay. I'd like see something King W-esq built here, like some lofts or red brick midrise. Something to add a different development style.

thanks for the update hypno-toad, hopfully this development might spark the demolition of the buildings directly to the south, they might be the grossest thing on all of bay street.

A hospital research building wouldn't spark anything on those lots, unless the hospital owned them and had plans for them. The market and their owners would be the only thing that could spark the demolition of those houses. Highest and best use will eventually mean those houses will be demolished for a more financially productive development, but it wouldn't have anything to do with this research building.

^ I'm not sure the poster meant the hospital development would actually influence development. Rather, I understood that he hopes the lot will be developed next just as the research campus is being developed now. Or, to put it another way, follow-the-leader.

Those buildings are a time warp. It's basically the only part of "the Ward" that continues to remain in a slum condition. That's not to say that they shouldn't be fixed up, though.

Back