Well not really... This "shoring machine" you speak of is actually a pile-driver.

Actually - it really is a shoring machine.

Unless of course, the pile driver you speak of was in fact delivered in error, was present when you saw it, and was then removed and replaced with the shoring machine which is now on the site.

The other possibility is that of not knowing the difference between shoring equipment and pile drivers.....

Okay.. it could have been a shoring machine. My mistake... I'm not going to pretend that I looked close enough to determine for sure. They look similar. I'm also not going to pretend that I'm an expert, but if I were, I sure wouldn't go out of my way to be a dick about it either.

Actually - it really is a shoring machine.

Unless of course, the pile driver you speak of was in fact delivered in error, was present when you saw it, and was then removed and replaced with the shoring machine which is now on the site.

The other possibility is that of not knowing the difference between shoring equipment and pile drivers.....

Okay I'm confused . What is the difference between the two. Isn't a "shoring machine" a pile-driver used for shoring??

Well that is certainly what I was led to believe, and someone also made a point of indicating it on wikipedia, but apparently not.

Basic difference - a pile driver uses the impact of a weight or hammer to drive a steel I beam into the ground. Lots of noise, lots of vibration - generally not used in downtown areas.

A shoring machine uses an auger or large drill bit to drill down to the desired depth. The drilling is done within a caisson, to hold back the earth from the completed portion of the hole. When the desired depth is reached, a steel beam is then inserted into the hole. The retaining wall is then completed either by filling the rest of the hole with cement, or by progressively inserting sections of wood between adjacent steel beams as the site is excavated.

The basic machines are similar - track mounted power equipment, but the attachments in front, and the methods of operation are quite different.

Basic difference - a pile driver uses the impact of a weight or hammer to drive a steel I beam into the ground. Lots of noise, lots of vibration - generally not used in downtown areas.

A shoring machine uses an auger or large drill bit to drill down to the desired depth. The drilling is done within a caisson, to hold back the earth from the completed portion of the hole. When the desired depth is reached, a steel beam is then inserted into the hole. The retaining wall is then completed either by filling the rest of the hole with cement, or by progressively inserting sections of wood between adjacent steel beams as the site is excavated.

The basic machines are similar - track mounted power equipment, but the attachments in front, and the methods of operation are quite different.

I understand. I believe this is a terminology issue. What you are referring to is called "bored piling". Both "pile driving" and "bored piling" are processes used for shoring during excavation. Anyways, still great to see some activity on the site.

It was only a parking lot because the developer tore down the original building years ago.

That's true in a lot of cases. Sometimes it was because of a fire. Other times, it was simply greed. If a notable building stood on a site that's empty today or the location of an unremarkable building, it may be appropriate to rebuild that previous building. Such projects are sometimes undertaken in European cities. The rebuilt building could be incorporated into a larger development--a more North American outcome that wouldn't necessarily be worse and would provide some incentive to undertake such an expression of commitment to heritage.

A number of you will likely be very happy to hear that Picasso Condos has broken ground!

We have a front page story here!

YES! Great to see a condominium tower break ground that makes use of materials appropriate for its context and climate. Thank you, Teeple & Monarch!

Great news. This'll look great from all angles, but I'm especially excited about seeing it from Queen W and when riding south on Beverley.

This has the potential to be the best project of this entire cycle. There aren't really a ton of contenders.

Back