Will Alsop-designed Filmport

56811-46673.jpg

Design for an iconic Toronto portland building unveiled

Building magazine
October/November 2007

TORONTO - Plans have been released for phase two of a film studio complex called Filmport being built in Toronto. The second phase consists of a 280,000 square foot office building designed by Will Alsop, the London-based architect responsible for the distinctive and controversial Sharp Centre for Design expansion of the Ontario College of Art & Design built in 2004, and Toronto-based Quadrangle Architects. The 11-storey building will have a distinct façade made from a red steel and curved glass wall, and will feature commercial offices, post-production companies, union and guild offices, film schools, restaurants and shops. Construction of the office building will begin in the early spring of 2008 and occupancy is targeted for early 2010.

Filmport, which will be one of the largest film studios in North America, is being developed by the Toronto Economic Development Corporation. Construction continues on over 550,000 square feet of production offices and sound stages on the 49-acre site, including the construction of Mega-Stage, the world's largest sound stage.

Amazing how much is going on in our town. A new airport, ROM et al, thousands of condos, three new office towers and the world's largest sound stage.

Great looking building as well.

I love how this building will over over the road, with stilts in the median holding it up. Tres cool.

Will it extend over the road? Or is that just its driveway? The city has a policy against having buildings extend over roadways, n'est-ce pas? A point of one of the ROM's crystals was pulled back a bit because of that policy I believe.

Judging by the relative size of the renderlimos and milling rendercrowd, that will be quite a significant structure.

With the Canadian dollar at par or even slightly higher, and projected to hover in that area for the immediate future, who is going to shoot movies here when they can shoot in Pittsburgh or Boston or yada yada?

The Canadian and Ontario governments also like to hand out nice grants and subsidies to help film-makers shoot here.

42: The city has a policy against having buildings extend over roadways, n'est-ce pas?

I have heard the same, but I do know of one example, while not a complete structure, a partial one- UofT's Graduate House on Harbord. Now, I am assuming that this may not constitute as a building, but rather a slight cantilever...??

p5

I have heard the same, but I do know of one example, while not a complete structure, a partial one- UofT's Graduate House on Harbord. Now, I am assuming that this may not constitute as a building, but rather a slight cantilever...??

p5

the only reason that was allowed is because they argued that it was a sign and not part of the building.

p5

A more genuine example: the rear of Zeidler's Princess Margaret Hospital. (Built that way because of heritage issues re the old Hydro HQ.)

Back