In a few years they will be surrounded by other towers and won't even notice this view any longer. What's happening at street level will be all that matters to most of us.

I agree. The heights of the buildings hardly matter aesthetically. (and what happens at street level is much more important)

Exactly. The Mirvish proposal casts large shadows on some key street levels

Whatever sunlight is no longer cast on a handful of properties is now being recieved by the tower that casts the shadow. In the end MORE citizens enjoy sunlight if they're all living in high rises than if they're spread out at 1/100th of the density. Aside from that Manhattan residents walk around in permanent shade and they have the world's busiest and most exciting streets.

Last edited:
Natural daylighting and ventilation are two of the most important factors for residential architecture and city planning. Full stop.

If you struggle with this concept, may I suggest reading about cities during and after the industrial revolution, and the history of housing design from that time into the present.

Last edited:
Taken January 18, 2014.

007.jpg

021.jpg

032.jpg

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,003
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,023
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,017
For a building that's this far through construction…

I'm somewhat amazed by how little personality it has, or at least how little of its final overall expression it has revealed so far. So much here depends upon the balcony glazing, and we're seeing none of that yet. In fact I'm not expecting too much of a bold statement here in the end, and just a 'fabric building', but Hariri Pontarini's success with the details on their projects still has me wondering what is still in store for P on A.

Back