On Thursday the Toronto Preservation Board reviewed plans to pick-up and move a 140 year old heritage building on-site (currently home to a Fox & Fiddle). The home built in 1869 is intended to be moved to the Southern half of the development site and the Toronto Preservation Board has considered commencing the process to designate the home under the Ontario Heritage Act.

The planned condo/hotel by Pinnacle would require the heritage building to temporarily be moved across the street (a property that is currently a parking lot also owned by Pinnacle) and then moved again to a new location at the southern edge of the development site following the construction of the parking garage and foundation. The Toronto Preservation Board has agreed with this plan.

Pinnacle has revised their development plan since the original submission to the planning department in June 2008. The hotel component has been reduced in scale in favour of more condo units. 2008 Proposal included 443 condo units, 104 hotel rooms and underground parking for 388. The revised proposal includes plans for 471 condo units, 70 hotel rooms and 338 parking spots.

4137755753_2f14ecdf17_o.jpg

4138520036_905738471a_o.jpg

4137755661_3463715784_o.jpg

Last edited:
I asked some of the gentlemen working on the semi-mysterious sales center across the street for this site and they confirmed that it was indeed for this building. On the actual site itself, they have started excavation into some of the basements from the houses which originally sat there, and have long since been covered over. The operation is similar to that which preceded Shangri-La's big dig.

When were the original houses razed? And why were they replaced with just a parking lot?

Wow did I read that right? They're going to move a heritage structure twice?
Hopefully that idea works out.

I like the diamond-texture facade (shades of Shangri-La). Just about as formal and futuristic as this area needs.

I asked some of the gentlemen working on the semi-mysterious sales center across the street for this site and they confirmed that it was indeed for this building. On the actual site itself, they have started excavation into some of the basements from the houses which originally sat there, and have long since been covered over. The operation is similar to that which preceded Shangri-La's big dig.

Thanks for that. I was wondering what was going on there.

Site plan:

4256823331_2ec45ba0d5_o.jpg

I should add that city staff is recommending approval of an application to alter a heritage building located at 104 John Street (built in 1869). As part of the proposal the 'Richard West House', (Fox and Fiddle currently) will be moved to the southeast corner of the site. The report also recommends designation of the building under the Ontario Heritage Act.

Last edited:

Back