What are the sales for phase 3?

Pinnacle is one of those very rare Canadian developers that finances their own construction and builds most of the structure on speculation. The premium charged for occupancy-ready suites and slightly decreased construction costs (they start when it's best for them, not their bank) makes up for the risk.

Last edited:
Saturday evening in Beyonce traffic

20230708_185146.jpg

Looking at this photo I cannot see anything different here that would indicate super tall (100s+) tower constructed. Isn;t really there anything extra needed to be done to account for the height than any other regular Toronto 50-70 story tower?
There are massive post tensioning cables in the walls of this building. That's quite unusual. Scotia Plaza doesn't have anything like that. The other thing that would be different is the column concrete strength and reinforcing. I'm guessing the concrete used for the columns is pretty high strength, but I have no way of confirming that. But depending on the column spacing, the load on each column may not be all that much higher than in a 60-70 storey tower. If you have more columns, each column takes less load and so doesn't need to be as heavily reinforced/as strong. But I haven't done a side-by-side comparison between the column spacing here and at other shorter towers, so I couldn't really say if that's the case or not.

I've been looking through City of Toronto documents, as much as the general public can, to see if there's a hint of when/if the proposed height increases will be approved? I haven't found much, other than a sense that negotiations are happening, as with 1 Bloor W. Anyone have any idea?

I've been looking through City of Toronto documents, as much as the general public can, to see if there's a hint of when/if the proposed height increases will be approved? I haven't found much, other than a sense that negotiations are happening, as with 1 Bloor W. Anyone have any idea?
You have the answer ... " negotiations are happening," If (when?) anything changes and the developer and the City planners can agree we will hear more.

LOL, Maybe you should look a bit more closely.

The app from last fall was Issued a Notice of Incomplete Application.

A new set of Docs was submitted early May '23.

They are still in circulation.

Pinnacle is seeking an expedited review at this point, which is addressed in the most recent Cover Letter.

I expect they'll get it. While I wouldn't entirely rule out the July Council meeting; September is more likely as the earliest date I would think.

But you can always phone George (the planner) and ask. He's a nice guy.

The new docs have not made any material changes that I can see; but rather provide supplementary information and seek to carefully scope any review of the ask so as to move things along.

From the Cover Letter:

1689082989845.png

** snip **

1689083038024.png

1689083065095.png

1689083099876.png

1689083149017.png

1689083198553.png

Last edited:
Looking at this photo I cannot see anything different here that would indicate super tall (100s+) tower constructed. Isn;t really there anything extra needed to be done to account for the height than any other regular Toronto 50-70 story tower?

The walls and columns are 2-3 times as thick and there is a lot more and thicker rebar than most towers, even the 50-70 story ones, as well as post tension bars.

Typical shear walls are 200-300 mm thick (like on phase one), most on this building (at the current stage) are 500-600 mm thick, and typical slabs are usually 200 mm but the majority of the slab is 250 mm thick (at the current stage).

There are massive post tensioning cables in the walls of this building. That's quite unusual. Scotia Plaza doesn't have anything like that. The other thing that would be different is the column concrete strength and reinforcing. I'm guessing the concrete used for the columns is pretty high strength, but I have no way of confirming that. But depending on the column spacing, the load on each column may not be all that much higher than in a 60-70 storey tower. If you have more columns, each column takes less load and so doesn't need to be as heavily reinforced/as strong. But I haven't done a side-by-side comparison between the column spacing here and at other shorter towers, so I couldn't really say if that's the case or not.

They are bars (8-10 meters long, 25-100 mm thick) rather than cables.

There's some fairly serious rebar on this one for residential construction. I remember when Scotia Plaza was built how thick and numerous the concrete columns were. Building was built like a bunker...

The walls and columns are 2-3 times as thick and there is a lot more and thicker rebar than most towers, even the 50-70 story ones, as well as post tension bars.

Typical shear walls are 200-300 mm thick (like on phase one), most on this building (at the current stage) are 500-600 mm thick, and typical slabs are usually 200 mm but the majority of the slab is 250 mm thick (at the current stage).

They are bars (8-10 meters long, 25-100 mm thick) rather than cables.
Thanks for clarifying about the post tensioning system.

Wouldn't the slab thickness be more or less irrelevant to the height? The slabs don't take any more load than in a shorter building. Slab thickness is only really dependent on column spacing typically.

Agreed about the shear walls in this thing. Massive walls that are absolutely stuffed with gigantic bars and post tensioning. Never seen anything like it tbh.

^^^ Interesting discussion above; engineering geeks do delight!

Back