I think what Usahid wants to say is that he hopes some new building will supplant FCP as tallest building in the city and in Canada as a whole. It didn't come out quite right but that opinion is a respectable one.

My first impression of this project is that the buildings are too tightly packed. I would not mind seeing one of the buildings, perhaps even two, disappear and some of the storeys added to the tallest building. That would, I think, make the tallest One Yonge structure a true supertall and thus the tallest building in Canada. I can think of no better location for a supertall than this one.

By the way, FCP has already been the tallest building in Canada longer than was the Bank of Commerce Building, as it was then called.

Hopefully the mods don't frown too much on this but...

I am convinced there have been statements written in such a way as to solicit rebukes from other UTers. I am convinced this is the deliberate work of an artful troll. Or the unintended work of a young teen. Either way, use discernment and be mindful of the above.

My two cents...

have to agree… since day one a few months ago….

His immaturity should not be a free pass to say ridiculous things.

I don't agree.
This is a public forum and not some exclusive high society salon you imagine it to be. As long as members are communicating in a courteous manner without the intention to troll, they should all be welcomed.

Plus, what is ridiculous? Just because you or most members think it doesn't make sense doesn't mean it is meaningless. And what is a "free pass"? Are you gonna put him in some UT jail or something?

That would, I think, make the tallest One Yonge structure a true supertall and thus the tallest building in Canada. I can think of no better location for a supertall than this one.

I actually hope Canada's first super tall building will be located outside the financial district (QQ/Yonge/University/Queen) downtown for a change, preferably east of Church st and north of Queen.

One thing I like about Chicago's skyline is that supertalls are more spreadout, instead of congregating in a tiny pocket steps from each other.

Please stick to the thread topic.

Underfunding to the planning department essentially means that they are doing area studies on a case by case basis, and planning studies take time. Pinnacle obviously doesn't like that, as they would rather push through this huge development ASAP, and without too many modifications.

Its really too bad, collaboration with the city could have created a much better project than what is currently proposed.

Underfunding to the planning department essentially means that they are doing area studies on a case by case basis, and planning studies take time. Pinnacle obviously doesn't like that, as they would rather push through this huge development ASAP, and without too many modifications.

Its really too bad, collaboration with the city could have created a much better project than what is currently proposed.

Not so sure about that. M+G have been in front of the city for how long now?

M+G has been at city planning because they have been looking at it with the planners and negotiating, the City has essentially refused to even look at 1 Yonge until the area plan has been finished.

M+G has been at city planning because they have been looking at it with the planners and negotiating, the City has essentially refused to even look at 1 Yonge until the area plan has been finished.

I've seen what the city is planning: http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/lower_yonge_oct_10_public_meeting_final_red_1.pdf

The site currently has height limits ranging from 44-85 metres. Current zoning allows for a mixed-use building with a Floor Area Ratio of 6, according to pages 19 and 20 in the planning report. Zoning in many parts of the city is obsolete as they were originally based on plans and prevailing wisdom from the late 70s and early 80, according to an UrbanToronto inteview with the maverick Kyle Rae. The old zoning no longer represents a desirable built form and they are inconsistent with the city's own Official Plan approved back in 2004, which I believe violates provincial planning requirements that require zoning to be consistent with a municipalities Official Plan within two years (but don't quote me on this one).

The city waits for a development application to come in then hold the application for an indefinite amount of time as it tries to change the development rules for the developer. It's an unfair practice and it's why this application is in safe hands at the OMB. I doubt we'll see 88-storeys, but we'll likely see heights and densities consistent with what already exists in the area. While the planning department is understaffed they're been dedicating too much resources being reactive rather than getting ahead of the curve, although I do see that changing somewhat with Keesmaat.

Back