By downtown, I suppose I meant below Queen where the Georgian Bay Shale formation is relatively shallow, but I should have been more specific. Having said that, many of the larger buildings up at Bloor are also founded on bedrock through piles. I am petty sure that is how "The One" is built.
Just out of curiosity - is the shale bedrock load bearing capacity at all affected by the infamous "rock squeeze" that exists in Toronto?
You can read more about Toronto's swelling bedrock here.

Yes, I can hear the architects and engineers now "OMG, is that a LAKE just south of here, why did nobody tell us."
Not to beleaguer this seemingly conversation of whether this tower might sink like that one in San Francisco when built (it won't)...

...where this tower and surround buildings are built used to be part of said lake at one time many moons and a vampire's age ago. I'm pretty sure those with vested interests in building here probably get that. 😺

From my angle…

IMG_4972.jpeg

Just out of curiosity - is the shale bedrock load bearing capacity at all affected by the infamous "rock squeeze" that exists in Toronto?
You can read more about Toronto's swelling bedrock here.
I wouldn't think vertical load bearing for footings is affected, but lateral loads on exterior walls of basement levels need to be designed to account for the "squeeze"

I’m less worried about the street level now with how good the cladding looks for phase two. Hopefully when this is all finished the podium will come together nicely.

The goal with development of this scale should be to create new public spaces at ground level and that’s something sugar warf phase 1 failed miserably at.
I'm unfamiliar with Sugar Warf. What's at ground level currently?

I'm unfamiliar with Sugar Warf. What's at ground level currently?
Sugar warf is adjacent to this project. Check out the sugar warf phase one thread and you can see plenty of pictures for yourself!

It’s just completely sterile and inhuman in its built form. Literally takes up a whole city block and adds nothing to the street level but glass and solid walls. No reason for anyone to go there.

Sugar warf is adjacent to this project. Check out the sugar warf phase one thread and you can see plenty of pictures for yourself!

It’s just completely sterile and inhuman in its built form. Literally takes up a whole city block and adds nothing to the street level but glass and solid walls. No reason for anyone to go there.
I think I'll take a look at Google streetview and see what's up - or not.

Back