By me today:

zviLiXU.png

Good progress.. will see the construction crane soon :)

If it takes 1 week per floor on average, 6 underground levels + 48 floors = 60+ weeks to complete.. So the earliest move-in date is 3Q2019 (?)
4690AD73-6E4C-426E-BF26-DED6F22CB6D4.jpeg

Attachments

• 4690AD73-6E4C-426E-BF26-DED6F22CB6D4.jpeg
    4690AD73-6E4C-426E-BF26-DED6F22CB6D4.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 551
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't they have to wait a while for the basement and first main floors to cure before they start to climb to the 48th floor ?

Good progress.. will see the construction crane soon :)

If it takes 1 week per floor on average, 6 underground levels + 48 floors = 60+ weeks to complete.. So the earliest move-in date is 3Q2019 (?)
It's about a month per parking and podium level. Probably closer to Q3 2020 at the earliest.

Wow. If this is the case, it would be over a year delay even the tower was already sold out in late 2016. Then, it will take the same builder another decade or more (2030+) to complete their 1 Yonge project with several towers double the height of PJ tower.

Monday morning - April 2. Installation of the crane base is proceeding, initial supplies to start work on the footings and foundation now on site.

pj-0.jpg

pj-3.jpg

pj-1.jpg

Attachments

• pj-0.jpg
    pj-0.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 565
  • pj-3.jpg
    pj-3.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 551
  • pj-1.jpg
    pj-1.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 540
So ultimately that rebar has to be 'braced' to the foundation--the ground. But how exactly does that happen? How do they secure it, since at some point or another the rebar must end and the ground must begin, leaving rebar just 'sitting' in the ground. How do they reinforce this?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but essentially they'll end up with a very heavy slab of steel reinforced concrete sitting snugly in a pit carved out of the rock at the bottom of the excavation. Rebar will stick up out of it wherever there are walls or columns that will continue upwards. In this case, you can see two such future columns above. Before they are extended by a floor, more rebar will be attached by wire to the ends that stick out below, and that'll be encased in concrete. On every floor, the rebar that sticks out from the top of the column will be tied into the next set. The strength is transferred up through the column that way.

Yeah, thanks for that. My question is really about the 'sitting snugly' part. I mean, ultimately there must be a point at which the structure of the building isn't 'fixed' to the foundation of the ground, but rather just 'sits' in it. Clearly this isn't a flaw; I'm just genuinely curious about how they ensure that the 'snug' part is indeed...snug.

Likely because concrete fills the volume it's poured in it will always be "snug". The rebar is there for support for the structure but in theory the concrete should always create a nice snug base. On top of that there's going to be more and more weight above this area making sure nothing is going to be moving.

Back