Are they planning on putting up a building in the foreground area here or are they going to extend the park? The "park" as they call it is just an open patch of grass...it would be nice if they put in some more trees to give the area a bit more character and life.
Site of a future school.

3rd crane tower is up and running.

Pic taken Oct 22, 2012

Z1Pqs.jpg

I'm a huge fan of CityPlace and all the new condo development in general but I have to ask, are there any curtain wall glass buildings with any architectural significance around the world? And I mean condos or business towers. Not the pyramid in front of the Louvre. I just wonder what kind of future architectural history we're creating. It's inoffensive enough and not in poor taste but it's pretty boring if this is what we have 50 years from now. When I think of Chicago, all the most interesting buildings are steel and stone not glass. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Glass is essentially the new brick or stone. Many parts of Toronto are characterized by brick facades on every building, many parts of Paris are characterized by stone facades, and the new material of choice is glass. Glass can be stunning as a facade material: bold, reflective, and fragile yet strong--it's like no material ever used for facades. It comes in several colours, like brick and stone. It can be combined with other materials. There's a certain luxurious aspect to glass being used so liberally. I don't have to even look outside Greater Toronto to think of architecturally significant glass towers: Absolute in Mississauga immediately comes to mind. The Gherkin in London and Torre Agbar in Barcelona are other examples of architecturally significant glass towers.

Last edited:
Interesting. I guess BCE Place can be considered another glass masterpiece having had its marble panels replaced with white glass.

Interesting. I guess BCE Place can be considered another glass masterpiece having had its marble panels replaced with white glass.

I think you meant First Canadian Place. BCE Place (now Brookfield Place) was never reclad.

Great Photo lulwut. Once Quartz and Library Condo get built we'll have a lovely enclosure to the park!

Thanks for that photo, lolwut.

I'd like to see the existing park extended over the foreground spot where the school and community centre are to go, though the greenery wouldn't all have to be at ground level. By 'folding' a ground floor upwards at the edges, a lot of the functions of school and library could be semi-enclosed while receiving lots of daylight, while the park and playing fields could function as a green roof. A hill with a couple flat tops at different heights. The field/park areas could be reachable through climbing, stairs, ramps, etc. Room for some good solid trees, and new features, too.
It might look a bit like Vancouver's new convention centre in places.
Cityplace is getting so very built up, I don't think another splash of greenspace at the centre could hurt. In fact, I think with all the buildings coming in, the existing park could use some expansion to avoid getting a bit overused

Last edited:
That last picture actually looks good, Hopefully once these last two buildings are complete, this area will finally have a sense of closure and connectivity. Cityplace isn't as bad as they say.

once all the buildings in the picture being built are finished I feel that the area will look and feel a lot better. there should have been less townhomes, and more retail than there is though. I am holding out hope that the proposed loblaws becomes a sort of miniature mall.

Back