Turner Fleischer Architect's biggest clients are Loblaws, Canadian Tire and Home Depot. They have done a number of strip malls and non-descript mixed use builings as well.
So this non-contexual mall/institution-like 80's hot mess of a buildung is not surprising.

Turner Fleischer Architect's biggest clients are Loblaws, Canadian Tire and Home Depot. They have done a number of strip malls and non-descript mixed use builings as well.
So this non-contexual mall/institution-like 80's hot mess of a buildung is not surprising.

I think the way it meets the street is actually the building's saving grace, especially the rounded corner at Portland and Queen. Compared to the CDN Tire monstrosity at Bay and Dundas... this thing is gold.

The Winners opened up today. Here's a montage I took of the construction site from the north east corner:

[video=youtube;QuseFKlP2ZI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuseFKlP2ZI[/video]

I went to Winners today and its great! (Only because its new) I had no issues finding anything in my size for once and everything was organized and easy to shop.

very cool montage, twerq!

Is this development the nail in the coffin of this area being seen as hip, edgy , artsy, and cool? Where are the starving artists living in Toronto?

I was in Winners as well today. Once the Joe Fresh and Loblaws open up, we will see how the rest of the development works out. Retail is good so far.

Artists are still living in Parkdale, Bloor Landsdowne and the Junction (though Dundas West seems the most happening new spot now). Some still remain on Queen West, though - but this development DOES kill the independent vibe there. The new furniture store on Bathurst will further that feeling, but places like the Bovine Sex Club still leave a coolness that won't be going away totally - see the Shaw street arts development for some affordable spaces that will always be there.

Curiously enough, I seem to have found a way to enjoy this monstrosity: walk up Portland, and whatever you do, don't look up!

20111008162353.jpg

20111008162326.jpg

Yea it's nice really ... not great ... something you can pass by without thinking too much. Though I do like the glass feature you included in the photo above.

On a slightly related note, it's crazy how **higher end** Queen W is now, from Yonge all the way to Trinity Bellwoods Park and a little bit west of that, maybe the candy lofts building.

After include CAMH up to about Dufferin its a little different feel, kind of out the eastern part used to be. Around Grandstone it's getting a little **higher end** as well with the new condos to the south. I think the Bohemien lofts are nice overall, they add retail to Queen, again they don't stand out too much.

I wonder how long it'll take the more westerly stretch to gentrify

Well this building didn't turn out very well . . . but I can't wait until this Loblaw's opens. Anybody have an opening date for this?

I'm trying to figure out where Loblaws is going. In the space under construction on the second floor? That makes little sense for a grocery store. People are expected to haul bags of groceries down a long steep escalator?

Back