Perhaps a stupid question but is there anything special about the large surface parking lot by Reese and Queens Quay? I haven't down by the waterfront in a while and was only remembered of this large lot just now on Streetview. I wonder why there is never talk or rumours of developing it, is there something already in store for it?

The view of the SkyDome from the lake is protected. Nothing of any height can go here. It's slated to become a north extension of HTO Park once funds become available.

Ride the 509 one of these days. Lots of pedestrians are stepping into both the TTC ROW and the paved roadway when they're not supposed to. I agree that it's obvious, and a sensible, sane person wouldn't do it, but a lot of the tourists down there simply do not care.

It might be partially due to the end of construction. I had to walk out on the streetcar tracks to get to the platform 3 weeks ago due to the fencing of the paving areas.

It might be partially due to the end of construction. I had to walk out on the streetcar tracks to get to the platform 3 weeks ago due to the fencing of the paving areas.
. In the area of Harbourfront pedestrians always have behaved the same way. Now the QQ being more inviting more people will come to enjoy and the problem will get worse.

I do the same thing, and it's perfectly fine because I do it with the pedestrian crossing signal that makes the most sense. These pedestrians often do it right into a streetcar green or traffic green with a vehicle approaching. There is a difference.

I do the same thing, and it's perfectly fine because I do it with the pedestrian crossing signal that makes the most sense. These pedestrians often do it right into a streetcar green or traffic green with a vehicle approaching. There is a difference.

Let's add a Mad Max bumper to the 509. A couple of victims and they'll 'do some learnin''... ;)

Let's add a Mad Max bumper to the 509. A couple of victims and they'll 'do some learnin''... ;)

Honestly, you're not far off from what I want to see done. One of the major issues--even today, I was out--is that the streetcar drivers often just shake their head and wait for the next signal. Not even a gong, yet alone a honk. That's about 50% of them, the other 50% will lay full on the horn--the LFLRV horn in particular is a wonderful, magical, pants-ruining thing, for those of you unaware!--and often get results. The drivers need to lay on the horn and slowly crawl forward--even just the horn does absolutely nothing, when there's a horn blaring and a ~48000kg streetcar moving towards you, on the other hand, people tend to reconsider. I'm not saying run them over at 50 km/h, just a slow crawl at 5-10 and the horn will get results.

Or the police could start issuing jaywalking tickets by the hundreds, racking up millions in ticket revenue in just one single week and sending a rather permanent message, but let's not get carried away with good ideas here.

The pedestrian signals also dont go beyond the streetcar tracks. I suspect we'll be seeing some collisions this summer as well,

You could give out a thousand jaywalking tickets and it wouldn't fix things. Too many people at the waterfront are there only occasionally. The locals who experience it every day either already know better or will learn quickly.

The view of the SkyDome from the lake is protected. Nothing of any height can go here. It's slated to become a north extension of HTO Park once funds become available.

Ah, so that explains it. I've been wondering this for years. I'd love to know if there's a projection about the likelihood/when of that lot being redeveloped. It's gotsta go.

I ended up walking from Bay To Bathurst today considering I was only planing on the section west of Spadina.

From Bathurst to Dan Lackie Way, Concrete sidewalk and pave MGT only with work taking place. A layover bay is being built there and should be finish well before June 19.

From Dan Lackie Way to Yo-Yo Ma Lane, concrete sidewalk and pave MGT finish, other than markings.

From Yo-Yo Ma Lane to Spadina, the eastbound lane is finish for traffic. The MGT from this point east is the same as the rest of the south side and far from finish. This also applies all the way east to Ress. Barriers are to be place over the bridge between TTC ROW and the MGT.

The south side is clean from Bay to Simcoe, with some stone work to be done at York. Paving should be done this week for the MGT up to Ress. Ress is still a mess.

With 3 weeks to go, going to be tight on a few things, but will not be 100% complete by June 19 to stop the official opening and the return to eastbound traffic.

Had to stop an US driver from making a U-turn at the EMS, so he could use TTC ROW to go east.

People were like deers caught in the headlights of cars when they saw the streetcars coming at them, with drivers laying on the horns and bells. A few driver fail to make their green light because of these deer looking people.

I expect once the fences come down, people will be crossing all over the place. Will be fun to see what the cyclists do with these deer looking people once they have control of the MGT. A few places missing lights for the MGT, but should be up this week.

Bay intersection still needs the curbs this week so final paving can get underway for it as well moving west.

Interesting. I wonder if the pedestrians getting in the way of the streetcars is going to be a boondoggle.

It's funny; you landscape our waterfront with some grace and subtlety and some people turn it into a mess.

Interesting. I wonder if the pedestrians getting in the way of the streetcars is going to be a boondoggle.

It's funny; you landscape our waterfront with some grace and subtlety and some people turn it into a mess.

Queens Quay is the new St Clair disaster :p.

I just saw Mad Max yesterday, so I have this mental image of the guitar player chained to the front of the 509 shooting fire out of the end of his guitar. Should have been an add-on feature for the new streetcars.

Ah, so that explains it. I've been wondering this for years. I'd love to know if there's a projection about the likelihood/when of that lot being redeveloped. It's gotsta go.

WaterfrontTO is about to run out of their initial seed funding. It's been a massive success attracting billions in private investment. They're campaigning to get another injection that'll help them complete the rest of the work. John Tory doesn't seem particularly enthused about the waterfront so I'm feeling pessimistic. He's surprised us before with out of the blue support for items he had never opined on so maybe we'll be ok.

If the second round of funding comes, HTO park north will be on it. I'd personally like to see a pool and splash pads there. All these urban beaches are teasing us without any payoff. People want to get their toes wet!

Back