I noticed that myself, but found the original article which had that photo attached. It is taken on one of the first days after they painted the transit-only lanes on Church in San Francisco.

That said, I agree with the idea. Paint it red for TTC. Anyone driving on the lanes gets fined. Implement an enforcement campaign, similar to Tory's illegal parking campaign.
The funny thing about this, Europe doesn't do it from what I saw and only white strip between the cars and transit. The big different for this, Fine are very high than the slap on the hand we do.

If a police officer saw this in Europe and can't stop the car, they get the plate number and someone will hand delivery that driver their nice Fine.

You only have to paint a few feet of the ROW at the intersection. Like everything, the paint will fade over time and will require repainting as needed at an extra expensive to our budgets.

Time to change the laws.

The funny thing about this, Europe doesn't do it from what I saw and only white strip between the cars and transit. The big different for this, Fine are very high than the slap on the hand we do.

If a police officer saw this in Europe and can't stop the car, they get the plate number and someone will hand delivery that driver their nice Fine.

You only have to paint a few feet of the ROW at the intersection. Like everything, the paint will fade over time and will require repainting as needed at an extra expensive to our budgets.

Time to change the laws.

Yeah, agreed. You probably only need to paint the ROW at the intersection.

Traffic law enforcement is essentially non-existent in the GTA, so it's no wonder that it's the wild west out there.

Yeah, agreed. You probably only need to paint the ROW at the intersection.

Traffic law enforcement is essentially non-existent in the GTA, so it's no wonder that it's the wild west out there.

You think its bad here? Try driving or walking in Shanghai! We're beyond orderely when you see how people drive there. Cops actually ignore traffic violations there.

Though I love that there's a car driving on the red paint in that picture.

Lol I saw that too after I linked to it.. so I removed the link haha... I'm glad wopchop saved me by pointing out that pic was taken soon after the implementation..

I wonder what would be more cost effective:
-painting the ROW every few years and the cost that requires + savings from presumably less enforcement needed
OR
-no painting = savings + more enforcement needed and the officers' salary that requires
?

Lol I saw that too after I linked to it.. so I removed the link haha... I'm glad wopchop saved me by pointing out that pic was taken soon after the implementation..

I wonder what would be more cost effective:
-painting the ROW every few years and the cost that requires + savings from presumably less enforcement needed
OR
-no painting = savings + more enforcement needed and the officers' salary that requires
?

Thinking they would only really need to paint it near the intersections where cars are actually able to enter the ROW, rather than the enter length. Hopefully that would keep the maintenance costs under control.

Thinking they would only really need to paint it near the intersections where cars are actually able to enter the ROW, rather than the enter length. Hopefully that would keep the maintenance costs under control.

Yup.
How do we recommend this to WT or the City?
QQ is only days away from a potential fatality. It's chaos down there.

You think its bad here? Try driving or walking in Shanghai! We're beyond orderely when you see how people drive there. Cops actually ignore traffic violations there.

I was on Queen's Quay on Sunday. There were two cars, driving side by side on the ROW east-bound. Drove right by two cops on horses, they didn't even turn around. Drove right beside a police car that was actually in the proper lane, nothing happened. For all intents and purposes, there is no enforcement, just better initial driving education, imo.

I lived on QQ for a few years; cars on the ROW was a common sight, so it's nothing new. I now live near another ROW and again, cars get themselves on there frequently.

They are painting/have painted the VIVA rapidways red and ONLY BUS on the asphalt. Seems to have worked well.

The street-running of the Manchester light rail/tram network, particularly in the towards Droylsden-Aston-under-Lyne section, is also painted red.

It has happened. At the QQ and Lower Simcoe, there are ambulances, tow trucks... Can not see from distance exactly what and how.

It has happened. At the QQ and Lower Simcoe, there are ambulances, tow trucks... Can not see from distance exactly what and how.
Now 7 mins ago:

Official TTC Tweets ‏@TTCnotices · 6m6 minutes ago
ALL CLEAR: Queens Quay at Lower Simcoe is now clear. 509 Harbourfront and 510 Spadina route have returned to regular routing. #TTC

I did not witness the collision occur but managed to make it to the scene not long after.

According to witnesses (and frankly it was plainly obvious what had happened even before speaking to them, as you will see in the below photos), at Queen's Quay and Simcoe, a westbound VW Golf ran the red light on the westbound-to-southbound left turn signal when westbound 509 CLRV 4141 was proceeding on a green light at cruising speed. The car was consequently t-boned by the streetcar. It looks like the streetcar driver had time to apply the brakes to some extent, or was not travelling very fast, but that's just my impression based on the positioning of the vehicles and the damage to each.

CLRV 4141's front-right quadrant--visible dent to the bumper, and there was a fair bit of damage to the door:

IMG_0570.JPG

The vehicle that ran the red light and caused the collision:

IMG_0574.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

As best as I could tell, nobody was seriously injured or killed, though the driver was obviously mildly injured and treated by paramedics. I am hoping that the driver of the Golf will be charged with running a red/illegal turn/reckless endangerment/whatever the appropriate charges are.

I was amazed that most people at the scene were either blaming the streetcar driver or saying, at least, that it wasn't the Golf driver's fault because the signals "don't make sense"! Yes, folks, this is what we're dealing with. Somebody runs a red light, gets into an accident, damages a streetcar, halts a good portion of the service of 2 lines, causes the TTC to call in shuttle buses from other routes, strands a good number of people for nearly an hour, and people don't blame that person for it at all and rush to their defense!

The best part of all this: 2 minutes after streetcars resumed service another driver did the exact same thing, ran the left turn red. Another CLRV was approaching at cruising speed and had to SLAM its brakes and laid on the horn. The driver finished their turn and did not seem to care. This was with the damaged Golf from the accident just a few metres in front of him! Cop was still at the intersection, had just wrapped up and was about to leave, saw this happen, shook his head, and left--did not ticket this driver.

This is not going to change until somebody gets critically wounded or killed in an accident. Unbelievable!

Attachments

• IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    400.9 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    570.5 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_0575.JPG
    IMG_0575.JPG
    533.5 KB · Views: 556

Back