I biked across the entire length of QQ this weekend and saw plenty of intentional and unintentional bad behaviour from everyone. Cars were in both lanes of the streetcar ROW, assuming they were just 2 regular lanes and driving into oncoming streetcar traffic. Bikes didn't stop for signals, pedestrians stood dumbly in the middle of the bike path, etc.

Maybe it's just because Toronto isn't used to mixed traffic, but I still think the designers could have done a better job in accommodating this inexperience. Particularly with the streetcar ROW which looks perfectly drivable if you've been on any other street in the city.

I biked across the entire length of QQ this weekend and saw plenty of intentional and unintentional bad behaviour from everyone. Cars were in both lanes of the streetcar ROW, assuming they were just 2 regular lanes and driving into oncoming streetcar traffic. Bikes didn't stop for signals, pedestrians stood dumbly in the middle of the bike path, etc.

Maybe it's just because Toronto isn't used to mixed traffic, but I still think the designers could have done a better job in accommodating this inexperience. Particularly with the streetcar ROW which looks perfectly drivable if you've been on any other street in the city.
That's probably quite a fair assessment, there's lots of bad behaviour for all modes. It doesn't help throwing tourists in the mix either. It doesn't help that in Toronto, one drives on the streetcar tracks on the major streetcar routes: College, Dundas, Queen, and King. Spadina is much more clearly a separated right of way in the center.

Walked all the way over to Sugar Beach and was amazed at the size of the trees. They actually look like the artist rendering trees for once. Queens Quay will be gorgeous if the trees get this large and they should right?

IMG_5308.jpg
IMG_5309.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5308.jpg
    IMG_5308.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG_5309.jpg
    IMG_5309.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 721
I had the same reaction. It's mind-blowing how big these have gotten in 4 years. I think the same process was used on QQ, so fingers crossed it'll look similar in 5 years

Yup - and the best part is this landscape treatment will be extended all the way to Parliament Street. That section is already partially complete as part of the East Bayfront Development - the trees have already been planted and it should be considerably more mature by the time that section opens.

104821_zoom.jpg

The 3C development also foresee a counterpart to Sugar Beach (Whisky Beach) at the foot of Parliament as well:

http://www.claudecormier.com/en/projet/3c-waterfront/

And yes, Claude Cormier is also working on the Daniels waterfront project:

http://www.claudecormier.com/en/projet/daniels-waterfront/

AoD

Last edited:
Waterfront Toronto is the best thing that has ever happened to Toronto. It's amazing what can be done when 3 levels of government actually work together. The St. Lawrence neighbourhood is the other example of a tripartite agreement producing amazing results.

Both show that there is definitely a need for the Federal government to play a bigger role in city building and funding municipal projects. Less direct subsidies to big business, more indirect subsidies in the form of infrastructure please!

I just can't believe how big the trees got in 4 years. I wish my trees grew that much in 4 years. What are they using?

Which type of tree are they? Do trees grow in the winter or just summer? Can a tree grow when it has no leaves on it?

Waterfront Toronto is the best thing that has ever happened to Toronto. It's amazing what can be done when 3 levels of government actually work together. The St. Lawrence neighbourhood is the other example of a tripartite agreement producing amazing results.

Both show that there is definitely a need for the Federal government to play a bigger role in city building and funding municipal projects. Less direct subsidies to big business, more indirect subsidies in the form of infrastructure please!

I'm a big fan as well. Almost every project is of good quality and they have had few missteps. I'd like to see the same approach used on public spaces in the inner city.

The first two photos are proof that the MG trail design at intersections is not working.
Yep, my thoughts exactly. That's why I took those pics.

Part of it is my somewhat obsessive desire for orderliness, but I find that choke point in particular to be a complete mess. I think something needs to happen there. What, I'm not sure. But it's just not working, and someone will get hurt.

It's amazing how unaware so many pedestrians are when they'e walking around. I mean, people with infants in strollers just meandering onto the path at this point without even look both ways. It makes me want to jump out of my skin.

It's amazing how unaware so many pedestrians are when they'e walking around. I mean, people with infants in strollers just meandering onto the path at this point without even look both ways. It makes me want to jump out of my skin.
I just spent a while contemplating your photo, and I think the problem is that there are no visual cues to pedestrians about what's going to happen. For bikes there's the "blue box indicates mixing zone" BS, but for pedestrians it looks exactly like the sidewalk they've already been walking on. If anything, the very subtle markings for the bike path through the intersection probably make the pedestrians think of a cross walk.

If you compare to when you're going to cross the streetcar tracks, there's the pedestrian version of a rumble strip to cue them. Unfortunately, with no grade separation there, I've often seen pedestrians just continuing blindly into the streetcar ROW. So the lack of grade separation enhances accessibility but at the cost of non-intuitive design.

Back