^ Exactly! And that would have been WAY better for the environment too. Much less run off going into storm sewers.

I think these are for bike rings. I saw these in various stages when I walked along there on Tuesday. From lines of bored holes with caution tape over them, to installed rings with little piles of brick next to them ready to fill the gaps.

Yup. I spoke to soon. They are for bike rings. And they did an awesome, super clean job installing them. My fears were unfounded.

IMG_5331.jpg
IMG_5331.jpg
IMG_5332.jpg

Will I get electrocuted if I touch them? :)

Attachments

• IMG_5331.jpg
    IMG_5331.jpg
    923.1 KB · Views: 698
  • IMG_5332.jpg
    IMG_5332.jpg
    1,002.3 KB · Views: 728
There are different kinds and methods for the grass pavements. For example, see this link. There are others that people currently use for their driveways as well.

The city should at least try a city block length of various types of the stuff as an experiment, to see how it works out. But doing experiments will cost money, and there are those on city council who don't like to do research. Yet successful companies do just that, experiment and research. Not doing so, means they will not stay successful.

There are different kinds and methods for the grass pavements. For example, see this link. There are others that people currently use for their driveways as well.

The city should at least try a city block length of various types of the stuff as an experiment, to see how it works out. But doing experiments will cost money, and there are those on city council who don't like to do research. Yet successful companies do just that, experiment and research. Not doing so, means they will not stay successful.
They did a summer long experiment with a pilot QQ a few years before they started actual construction -- so you'd think they'd be open to it.

Last edited:
I wonder if they didn't put grass down because they figure poel would walk on it and also they were worried that an emergency vehicle could damage the streetcar rails

The automatic track switches at Queen's Quay and Spadina are working! I was down there today and can confirm the westbound-to-westbound/northbound switch where the 509 and 510 diverge is fully functional, most drivers were triggering it electrically with no issues, though some still got out to throw it so I guess some of them haven't been told yet. Can't confirm the same for the switch that the 510s use to turn into the loop to head back north, as I went late into the evening when there were no more scheduled turns, but hopefully (and logically) that one is operational as well or will be soon.

Great to see. No doubt the recent collision with 4404 and the subsequent media attention lit a fire under the behinds of the various parties involved!

Unfortunately the signal phases still show the turn phase even if a streetcar is going straight...I was under the impression that functionality would be fixed once the switches were functioning however I guess it isn't, only the basic streetcar presence detection loop is present, so westbound 509s have to wait for a pointless northbound turn signal, etc. depending on when they arrive at the light. Oh well, not a big deal.

Just need Fleet and Bathurst to get done now...is it going to take a collision there, too?

was down there today and can confirm the westbound-to-westbound/northbound switch where the 509 and 510 diverge is fully functional, most drivers were triggering it electrically with no issues, though some still got out to throw it so I guess some of them haven't been told yet

sometimes the switch doesn't always switch properly or reset for the car behind so they have to do it manually, just one of the reasons why they stop at all switches before proceding

The automatic track switches at Queen's Quay and Spadina are working! I was down there today and can confirm the westbound-to-westbound/northbound switch where the 509 and 510 diverge is fully functional, most drivers were triggering it electrically with no issues, though some still got out to throw it so I guess some of them haven't been told yet. Can't confirm the same for the switch that the 510s use to turn into the loop to head back north, as I went late into the evening when there were no more scheduled turns, but hopefully (and logically) that one is operational as well or will be soon.

All of the switches at the intersection and loop were made operational on Wednesday night. A Toronto Hydro crew was down there during the evening, making all of the connections.

As for why certain operators still got out to throw the switches, the system that the TTC has installed uses radio-frequency emitters at the front and rear of each car. The front one tells the switch whether the car wants to go in the "normal" direction, or in the "diverging", and then locks the switch. The rear emitter is simply to unlock the switch for the next car through. If the antenna of the previous car isn't working, than the switch will remain locked until it finally receives and unlock command - which may be on the next streetcar through.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Yup. I spoke to soon. They are for bike rings. And they did an awesome, super clean job installing them. My fears were unfounded.

View attachment 50212View attachment 50212 View attachment 50213

Will I get electrocuted if I touch them? :)
BTW the city is super responsive to installing bike rings. If you see a spot where you think would be a good place for a bike ring, if you send the city an email a bike ring usually pops up in the spot in a few months time.

hahahahaha, I wish. I know of a number of spots where multiple people, including the councillor's office, have been requesting with no joy. We are told there will be an 18 month wait, minimum.

Back