Update, I have the plant list from 2015.

Not sure what has changed since then.

But the original list shows all London Plane on the south side of Queen's Quay.

It shows a more mixed list of Honey Locust, Elm, Maple (I'm assuming Silver) and Linden on the north side.

Of those, I'd bet one 1 and 3 doing fairly well, the current Elm choice is a Dutch-Elm resistant hybrid showing mixed results, Lindens....not my preferred choice.

But I'll take what I hear from others, and get down and have a look this weekend if I get the chance.

Either way we need to move away from using London Plane and we need to move away from monoculture plantings (same tree for 50 spots in a row). Landscape architects love this as they think its very
sculptural. But even if you choose an excellent species, if anything goes wrong that affects the type of species you've chosen (as with Ash) you lose them all.

Ok, so went and had a look at Queen's Quay trees on a stroll this afternoon.

What a disaster (Yonge to York)

Die-off on the south side is over 80%, all London Planes.

Die-off on the north side is around 50%. Maples fairing best by far, with about 60% healthy and 80% alive.

Looks like they tried Turkish Hazel as a street tree in this section, they are doing ok'ish.....

They tried some trees that are so desiccated, dead and bud-free I can only hazard a guess at what they were. (hackberry?)

While inappropriate species choice stands out here........there has to be something more at work. The under performance on the north side indicates that conditions are not what they should be.

I wasn't there when they went in.....so I can't say, but I'm rather concerned that we may have a similar issue as Bloor Street where the contractor did not use the soils specified and/or mucked up the drainage.

The trees should not be doing this badly, even the London Planes shouldn't be doing this badly.

Aside from wholesale replacement of the dead/dying trees w/better species choices, a careful examination is needed to see what the trees are actually growing in (not merely what was spec'ed).

Along my walk I noted the hugely successful trees in planters in front of Maple Leaf Square on York. Showing the value of large beds of good soil.

I also stopped by Berczy Park where the young American Elms along the south side of the park could not be happier, their growth is robust and impressive.

Curiously, the same could be said of the trees put in @ Sugar Beach, also a Cormier site.

It suggests to me that quality control is a crucial issue. Though I also note the use of Elms in one case and Silver Maples in the other so species selection is also critical.

I was really looking forward to this beautiful tree canopy forming over the Martin Goodman trail, but looks like that will have to wait another few years.

upload_2018-6-4_9-50-16.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-4_9-50-16.png
    upload_2018-6-4_9-50-16.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 569
Missing trees are generally ones removed by the City.

The process for replacing street trees involves an arborist or inspector passing judgement the tree is dead or beyond hope, it is they sprayed with a red dot on the tree.
That dot indicates removal as will paperwork.
A second crew then passes and stumps the tree removing everything but the base (so the saw work)
A third crew removes the base (digging work)
and then the tree is replaced with a new one.

So many people it feels like the start to some joke!

The process for replacing street trees involves an arborist or inspector passing judgement the tree is dead or beyond hope, it is they sprayed with a red dot on the tree.

That dot indicates removal as will paperwork.

A second crew then passes and stumps the tree removing everything but the base (so the saw work)

A third crew removes the base (digging work)

and then the tree is replaced with a new one.

How many monkeys does it take to change a lightbulb?

Thank you @Northern Light! Now to get Waterfront Toronto and/or the City to actually DO SOMETHING. It looks like a wasteland!

You're welcome.

I'm sure you know the contact list already.

But to get attention to this issue I would go to the top at WaterfronToronto

William Fleissig - President and CEO WaterfronToronto
wfleissig@waterfrontoronto.ca

Richard Ubbens - Director - Parks Division (oversees foresty)
Richard.Ubbens@toronto.ca

And maybe go to 'The Fixer' over at the Star. Media attention can be a wonderful motivator.
Jack Lakey
jlakey@thestar.ca

Or perhaps our fellow UT member whose columns appear in the G&M

While inappropriate species choice stands out here........there has to be something more at work.

I wasn't there when they went in.....so I can't say, but I'm rather concerned that we may have a similar issue as Bloor Street where the contractor did not use the soils specified and/or mucked up the drainage.

Along my walk I noted the hugely successful trees in planters in front of Maple Leaf Square on York. Showing the value of large beds of good soil.

I also stopped by Berczy Park where the young American Elms along the south side of the park could not be happier, their growth is robust and impressive.
All very troubling. I was just Googling to find Guelph's experience of similar five or six years back, Guelph, of all places with the emphasis on agriculture and the massive arboretum. The City was getting only seven years average of growth along the main street (Wyndham St), it became a city crisis, and arborists were hired permanently onto staff. There were reasons determined, as to how they've been addressed I'm loathe to repeat from memory, will continue to look for the reports, but some of the stories in the local press were confounding as to (gist) "That's all you should expect on a main thoroughfare due to proximity of buildings and car exhaust".

The illogic is immediately made clear by some species living for well over a hundred years in similar conditions elsewhere, even in the same city.

The situation as described on QQ is deeply disturbing. I bite my lip as I type as to what I think the problem is. QQ is a bit of a disaster in many ways, and a good part of the toxicity is incompetence.

Addendum: Found one of the Guelph local press articles on the 'dying trees', will continue to search for the answers, and/or how the 'cells' worked out.
The hard life of a tree on the streets of downtown Guelph
NEWS Mar 30, 2015 by Chris Seto Guelph Mercury

B821909111Z.1_20150329191651_000_GUT1EVBQ3.2_Gallery.jpg

A dog adds insult to injury, lifting its leg at one of the tree stumps along Macdonell Street. City officials say these trees were cut down last year because they were dead or dying. - Chris Seto, Mercury staff

GUELPH — Planting a tree in an urban environment is like placing it on death row.

In the wild, ash and linden trees can live anywhere from 80 years to more than 200, says Martin Neumann, manager of the City of Guelph's forestry department. But once that same type of tree is planted along a street in a city's downtown, the average life expectancy of that tree is cut to seven years.

Last year, around 25 ash and linden trees were chopped in downtown Guelph because they were dead, or close to it, Neumann said. Their stumps have been left behind, sticking out like tombstones along the sidewalks, the tree rings telling the stories of their short lives.

This spring, 13 trees will be cut down along Carden Street for the same reason. Although some of these trees are ash, the emerald ash borer isn't being handed the blame for their death, Neumann said. "(The ash borer) was just arriving while the tree was already declining."

Guelph is not unique in its treatment of trees growing downtown. Trees growing in the heart of any city across the country face the same type of hardships, Neumann said. "Every possible thing we could do to make life hard for them, we've done."

The soil conditions are not nearly as good as it would be out in the forest. Growing next to city streets, urban trees get loaded with salt every winter and cigarette butts seem to pile at the base of their trunks. Urban areas also seem to experience moisture and climatic extremes throughout the year, more than rural areas, Neumann said. The trees have a hard time dealing with really hot summers and really cold winters.

The city is now working on a plan to reintroduce the trees that were lost, but the planning is still in its early stages. Neumann said the reintroduction will have to coincide with any downtown renewal plans and sidewalk repair plans. "We have to try to make sure we're not planting a tree just before somebody's going to rip up the street."

The 13 trees that were removed along Carden Street are expected to be replaced this summer with Freeman maple trees, he said. The Freeman maple is a big tree. If it grows beyond the seven-year average, it may end up taller than two or three storeys.

With the help of new technologies and a little more tender love and care, the city expects these replacement trees to live for much longer than seven years, Neumann said. "We're going to invest in their maintenance with that mindset." He said they probably won't live for 200 years downtown, but maybe they could reach 30 or even 50.

In the past, trees were placed into pits and were left to explore whatever nutritious soil they could find. But once the tree roots went beyond the borders of the tree pits, there was no nutrition for them to find, Neumann said.

The city will now be using soil cells instead of simply digging pits for the trees. With soil cells, soil is placed underground and divided into various levels, like a wafer. The cells can support the weight of sidewalk tiles while also enabling tree roots to expand beyond where a tree pit might allow.

The trees to be removed along Carden Street were planted with soil cells, Neumann said, but their demise was caused by a combination of other issues. The soil cells worked well, he said.

Some of the locations downtown where trees once grew will no longer be able to support another tree planted there. While the tree was alive, underground infrastructure was drilled in and placed too close to the tree, Neumann said. Replacement trees will need to be planted somewhere else.

With Wyndham, Quebec and Baker streets soon up for renewal, Neumann said, the city will hold off on planting new trees in these locations. To replace the lost trees on these streets, the city will be launching a pilot project involving trees in large planting boxes.

The proposed project is still in its infancy, he said, but is expected to kick off this summer. This project would have to be in collaboration with the downtown business association, and the two sides haven't had a chance to connect about it yet.

Marty Williams, executive director of the Downtown Guelph Business Association, said the jury is out among the business owners on whether large, leafy trees are a positive addition to the core. While they may be beautiful and provide clean air and shade, depending on their location they could end up blocking signage and storefronts from the eyes of potential customers.

Williams said personally, he thinks trees are a positive element in any downtown core. "They're bringing beauty, shade and colour to an otherwise concrete and asphalt environment."

The idea of tree boxes placed around the downtown has a lot of potential, he said. If businesses have a problem with where these trees are placed, they can be relocated.

cseto@guelphmercury.com
https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-...-of-a-tree-on-the-streets-of-downtown-guelph/

Last edited:
How many monkeys does it take to change a lightbulb?

I'll be the first to decry inefficiency and Parks has its share.

This procedure though is not a ridiculous as it sounds.

Deciding the tree is dead/dying and beyond saving is the job of an arborist. Its a skilled job, there are many fewer of those than 'crew staff'.

Stumping the tree is doing a portion of the work that is needed to remove it. One could argue for doing all the work at once, but there are reasons not to do so.

The stumping crews have to have chainsaw certification, you want them cutting the tree and not themselves or random infrastructure, LOL

The planting crews don't require this.

Further, the planting season is very narrow, at least ideally. All planting in spring should occur between the 3rd week if April and the 4th week of May at the latest.

So you have 5 weeks, between the ground being thawed enough to dig and the trees being in full leaf-out.

In fall, you don't really want to start planting before the 1st week of October, and you have until the ground freezes (ideally snow-free), that pegs a limit of about mid-November.

The crews literally plant thousands upon thousands of trees every year, in those short windows. To do that, its ideal to have everything ready to go so trees can be dropped in place quickly at the rate of 3 per hour or faster.

On the other hand, you don't really want to excavate a tree pit if you aren't replanting soon.

The roots below the stump are holding the soil in place.

If you opt to remove the root base you will loosen all that soil.

If you leave it sitting like that weeks or months before planting, you end up with a lot of the soil blowing away and making a huge mess.

* this is why sometimes when road work finishes too late in the year to plant trees, the pits are paved over w/asphalt to prevent all the soil blowing away, or pits being used garbage cans.

There is an odd logic to how this particular exercise works. It could certainly be done faster at times and better, but that's a whole other discussion

Last edited:
It's the salt used to melt the snow off the sidewalks and runoff from the salted roadways.

Some cities are putting in heated sidewalks, which are only turned on when there is snow or ice forecast.

practices-heated-sidewalks-in-progress.jpg

From link.

Good old growth urban trees tends to need a lot of things:

1. Roughly 5 to 10 cubic meters of really high-quality dirt replacement at first planting (to replace original toxic dirt) -- especially in old industrial areas
2. Wider dirt-to-air surface area. If sidewalk salting policy is adjusted, then skip the raised curbs; trees benefit from handling runoff (Europe handles this well) but this does not work well with Canadian salted roadslush. Increase dirt area to compensate for curbing around the dirt area.
2a.... To catch more rain (more dirt exposed to sky)
2b.... Resist salt runoff and snowplow debris (in cities that use lots of salt).
3. Designed to be resistant to periods of poor maintenance (e.g. forgotten waterings of cutthroat administrations) by virtue of large dirt-to-air surface area. Plenty of water, oxygen, nitrogen, decomposition opportunities, etc.
4. Plenty of capital -- sometimes it reaches about ~$10,000 for all the above (1-2-2a-2b-3).

I have seen this add almost an order of magnitude of life to trees in other cities. I see 80-year-old urban trees growing out of large iron-grille rain catchers. They are almost 100x bigger surface area than some of those tiny holes in concrete in those "suburbanite downtowns" or "#ZombieUrbanism" urban tree areas.

Mostly from token nod downtown-renos built by cityplanners that don't project tree needs very well and/or skimp very badly on this in the name of pedestrian safety and narrow sidewalks creating tiny holes in large pieces of concrete that makes them dependant on city waterings.

Why do we skimp on these stuff for a few "flagship" downtown trees?

I know it's a bit too expensive to do this for every tree, but flagship downtown locations can certainly justify steps that ensure tree longevity.

Last edited:
Can we get a ten page discussion for trees like we did for washrooms? ;)

There's a little known tree with a leaf that is on our national flag--and also appears on the jerseys of a certain hockey team. The name escapes me but I'm fairly certain they can grow in this climate. That is, if the far classier sounding London Plain Tree doesn't work out for some reason. (But of course that's never happened in this city before.)

The incompetence shown by various tall foreheads running this town is beyond breathtaking. Oh well, I guess everything will start functioning perfectly the minute Doug Ford becomes premier. *sighs*

Can we get a ten page discussion for trees like we did for washrooms? ;)
We probably should actually, this has been so badly mishandled.

Googling shows this occurrence being fully noted by Waterfront Toronto for years. Listen to their platitudes and read their excuses:
June 21, 2017 8:08 pm
Dead trees along Martin Goodman Trail in downtown Toronto to be replaced
If you frequent the Martin Goodman Trail, you may have noticed that several trees between Spadina Avenue and Jarvis Street are not looking as lively as they should for this time of year.

Multiple London Planes, which were planted in 2015 as part of the Queens Quay revitalization project, have died and now need to be replaced.

“What you’re seeing is what we expected,” Waterfront Toronto communications director Andrew Hilton said.

[video inserted here at link provided below]

“When you do new tree plantings about 20 per cent of them won’t make it … you’re putting them in a new location, trees get stressed and some of them don’t make it.”

READ MORE: Pedestrian Paradise: Revamped Queens Quay revealed today

Hilton said the trees are covered by a contractor’s warranty and will be replaced by spring 2018.

“We will do an inspection this summer and all the trees we identify this summer will be replaced by the warranty,” he said.

Tait Sala, a certified aborist with Cohen and Master Tree and Shrub Services, said the London Plane tree species have struggled to grow in recent years.

“With London Planes, we’ve seen them struggle the last few years and particularly after last summer. We are noticing a lot of them are dying back or collapsing,” Sala said.

“These urban areas are extremely challenging places to plant into and those first two years of tree establishment are critical ones.”

Hilton said the trees were chosen with a specific purpose and the large canopy provides shade for those using the trail.

“Around the Martin Goodman Trail, the trees we picked have a purposed of providing a big canopy to provide shade for those walking along Queens Quay and also to provide a bit of dividing zone between pedestrian area, the bicycles lanes and the streetcar right of way,” he said.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3546370/martin-goodman-trail-trees/

Googling shows awareness of the problem by WT for at least two years, and false assurances that the problem would be addressed. Lots online, but it was discussed in this very string last year this time:

This was right at Queens Quay and York, arguably the "front door" to the waterfront. What I didn't photograph: dying trees, dead trees, tree stumps, empty tree holes, mismatched light standards. Also, the "tagged" sidewalks are more extensive than what I'm showing here.

This looks like hell. On bike rides this summer, I have been dismayed at the number of dead trees and stumps.

See WT May Newsletter, plus lots of comments earlier here.

The weather has warmed up, so why haven’t the trees along Queens Quay West blossomed? The trees planted on the south side of Queens Quay West between Bay Street and Yo Yo Ma Lane are London Planes. This species of tree doesn’t begin to sprout leaves until June. The trees along the north side of Queens Quay West are a diverse mix of tree species, many of which have already sprouted their spring leaves.

The project team continues to monitor the health of the trees along Queens Quay West. This summer, any trees that have not done well will be marked for replanting next spring.

This spring, you may notice Aldershot Landscape maintenance personnel and vehicles on Queens Quay West. They will be doing some basic tree maintenance, as well as flushing the irrigation system for the trees that border the Martin Goodman Trail between Bay Street and Yo Yo Ma Lane. This will take approximately one week, during which time water trucks will stop intermittently on the trail.

And so on. The original plan was for QQ to "look like the Champs-Élysées". Fat chance at this rate...

Back