the question is when.
Probably longer than most of us would like BUT it is really unreasonable to start ventilating because utility cuts get (quite good) temporary patching for, to date, 3 days! I would be more likely to complain that during the spring planting season WT did not replace any (many?) of the trees that died last winter - I hope they have plans to do it this fall!

So I'm curious if the accident stats for collisions here have gotten any better. I can't find anything that summarizes the data.

I've biked through here several times over the past few weekends. Just a few observations:
  • There are still a lot of cars trying to turn onto the streetcar tracks at Spadina in particular, but also at Rees. All the cars I observed detected they were making a mistake, and stopped and reversed awkwardly to get off the tracks. Seems they've improved the "do not enter" guidance but not the turning guidance.
  • I've officially decided I hate the "mixing zones". Pedestrians end up unintentionally interacting with every other mode of transportation regardless of the walk signals....in the bike path, in the streetcar ROW, in the street itself. The design is simply too subtle for safety.
  • The space looks beautiful and is very well-used. It is really nice to see so many people on the waterfront.
  • The streetcar is not working well here. I'm not actually sure I could design a street that slows the streetcar down more. Be it stopping at every single intersection, a left turn arrow at every possible opportunity, and what seems to be the complete absence of TSP, the streetcar just crawls through here.

So I'm curious if the accident stats for collisions here have gotten any better. I can't find anything that summarizes the data.

I've biked through here several times over the past few weekends. Just a few observations:
  • There are still a lot of cars trying to turn onto the streetcar tracks at Spadina in particular, but also at Rees. All the cars I observed detected they were making a mistake, and stopped and reversed awkwardly to get off the tracks. Seems they've improved the "do not enter" guidance but not the turning guidance.
  • I've officially decided I hate the "mixing zones". Pedestrians end up unintentionally interacting with every other mode of transportation regardless of the walk signals....in the bike path, in the streetcar ROW, in the street itself. The design is simply too subtle for safety.
  • The space looks beautiful and is very well-used. It is really nice to see so many people on the waterfront.
  • The streetcar is not working well here. I'm not actually sure I could design a street that slows the streetcar down more. Be it stopping at every single intersection, a left turn arrow at every possible opportunity, and what seems to be the complete absence of TSP, the streetcar just crawls through here.

Lots in here I agree with. Keying in on the note about the "mixing zones" - I think the subtlety is a great point, and I really do think that could be better addressed by design. As a pedestrian, if you don't have your head up or are otherwise not specifically looking out for it, the cycle track is really just not clearly enough delineated.

I can envision a number of different design fixes, but one that I think would be relatively inexpensive and effective would be some sort of rounded, raised curbing along the southern edge of the cycle tracks. As a cyclist along this stretch, I find most of the pedestrian intrusions onto the cycle track to be from people moving east-west (as opposed to north-south, primarily at intersections, with the noted exception of the foot of York).

I'm of the general opinion that signs are mostly ineffective because people don't notice or read them, but at the moment, it's actually quite unclear to pedestrians that they've actually crossed into a cycle track unless they're specifically looking at it. A 3-inch curb, rounded to decrease the likelihood that people trip over it and into the cycle tracks, I think could be a solution.

But, yeah, something needs to be done, and I think the assertion that "people will habituate it" is wishful thinking in the extreme, if for no other reason than this is an area highly trafficked by tourists.

I don't think I've seen anyone post these yet. They replaced some of the small stone pavers with larger granite blocks etched with the word "Look" on them. Saw these at a bunch of intersections, along side both edges of the cycle path.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 678
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 634
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 597
I don't think I've seen anyone post these yet. They replaced some of the small stone pavers with larger granite blocks etched with the word "Look" on them. Saw these at a bunch of intersections, along side both edges of the cycle path.

View attachment 81766
View attachment 81767
View attachment 81768

For me, the necessity of signage of almost any kind is often the most obvious indicator of a fundamentally flawed design. IMHO, if you're a designer and you're banking on people reading stuff (especially in heavily touristy areas) to understand how to use your space, you're displaying fairly extreme naivety.

Looks kinda Cyrillic if read upside down. Personally don't think this is enough, and we should place attractive fencing staggered intermittently between the sidewalk, cycle path, and streetcar tracks. It'd still be the same concept of an open space for all, and the fence could have openings every ~25m to pass through. But it'd do a much better job at preventing a collision imo.

Looks kinda Cyrillic if read upside down. Personally don't think this is enough, and we should place attractive fencing staggered intermittently between the sidewalk, cycle path, and streetcar tracks. It'd still be the same concept of an open space for all, and the fence could have openings every ~25m to pass through. But it'd do a much better job at preventing a collision imo.

I think what they should do in the mixing zones is ditch the garnet and put in asphalt to let pedestrians know to be careful in thath area. For example in Wrigley field just before the wall they have a strip of grass after the warning rack to let players know careful you are heading towards a brick wall.

Those are ugly as hell.

Almost as bad as the hand-written signs you see here and there on the TTC.

Well this is a signal that they at least recognize there's a problem. It's still too subtle. Think about the Chinese tour groups wandering aimlessly or the local teenager catching pokemon....these people aren't going to notice this. Reminds me a little bit of the "look right" signs in London at intersections. Those are actually useful because they stand out more.

52105275.jpg

I still am amazed how "exposed" they made the streetcar tracks on QQ.

I mean, maybe some curbs around the side of it? A small but attractive fence to separate the walkway and the streetcar? Bollards? Anything!

The issue isn't having the tracks to one side of the road like the TTC would have you believe, its the fact that there is very little separating them from the road and sidewalk!

I mean, maybe some curbs around the side of it?

They do have curbs on the road sides except at the areas where cars need to cross over to the other side for entrances to parking in the water side. Alos at Spadina it has to be lower so thath Streetcars can go either east or west at the intersection.

Walked past the Bay St intersection and this crew is installing more of the "Look" paving stones here
image.jpg

Wonder if this is breaking news on CP24 :) ha
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 796
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    893.4 KB · Views: 808
Last edited:

Back