The City could 'take' it through eminent domain, but ain't nobody going to just hand over acres of zoned, development land (pie in the sky though that "development" may be), for free. This was part of the initial Craft gambit from the beginning - fight the City, win, increase the value of the site, then have the City buy it from them at the inflated price. I'm glad the City - to date - doesn't seem interested in that kind of extortion.
Fair point!

...so a brown land eyesore it will be for the ages then. /sigh

The City could 'take' it through eminent domain, but ain't nobody going to just hand over acres of zoned, development land (pie in the sky though that "development" may be), for free. This was part of the initial Craft gambit from the beginning - fight the City, win, increase the value of the site, then have the City buy it from them at the inflated price. I'm glad the City - to date - doesn't seem interested in that kind of extortion.

Sure hope they're being taxed on the highest and best use value of the "property" they own.

3rd tower in the eastern section is gone
1696950511215.png

1696950462764.png

3rd tower in the eastern section is gone
View attachment 512136
View attachment 512132
@generalcanada - We had a residents only meeting about the so called elimination of the 3rd tower. After questioning the developers in the last virtual meeting, they have confirmed a) they have no idea how tall podium/tower 3 actually is now (2:01:28 off the video) and b) that they are unable to determine how high the tower will be without further studies. They committed to these studies and presenting updated information but has been crickets since weeks. Upon further clarification, it will likely be as tall as 373 Front Street West (i.e. 28 floors lol). Their so called podium itself is actually a tower. They are just showing fake and false images without real studies or actual homework.

I hope the developers actually take this seriously and do their work because their slides have several errors and falsehoods. The rail deck owners must be so pissed with the team. All they had to do was lower E3 a couple more floors and they would win over the support and probably even get a letter of support from the residents of the 2 east tower buildings. They are just digging their own grave and making their lives easier when the solution is so simple:

The group of assembled residents agreed if they can lower the 3rd tower to the equivalency for 13-14 stories of 373 Front Street West than that is something the residents can live with and support. Adding a few stories to E2 and E1 would totally eliminate the need for E3 or meet half way and reduce the height by a couple storeys so its at the half way point of 373 front street west (floor 14).

Is this term in use in Canada now? LOL

That's always been the U.S. superlative for expropriation.

I hope we're not absorbing their lingo.

Ok, I'm lifting a few slides here for the group from the Sept '23 presentation (that have not yet been posted)

1696973018232.png

1696973073640.png

Note for thread title, that the max. height has dropped from 70s to 65s. Important to track this even when discussing imaginary projects as per @ProjectEnd

After all, an imaginary project may be a real precedent.

Also: East Block Conceptual Massing from June '23 doesn't seem to have been posted here:

1696973408154.png

View of PoPs from Front/Bathurst:

1696973473057.png

View of PoPs from The Well

1696973505062.png

Last edited:
What are the odds of any of this actually coming to fruition? That's some impressive density being proposed here.

Toronto needs housing badly. This will also create some much needed green space in the downtown core.

There will be protracted legal fights that will go on for years and re-designed based on feedback.

I don't see this starting construction until 2030 and all three phases being complete till 2045.

I can see the eastern section being done first as a sort of test case to work out a few things. Also, it doesn't look like the Metrolinx proposal at the southwest corner of Front and Spadina is being included in the overall density.

Is this term in use in Canada now? LOL

That's always been the U.S. superlative for expropriation.

I hope we're not absorbing their lingo.
Fair, substitute 'expropriation' there. The less we have to countenance Americana, the better.
Had this very discussion with my BIL this weekend, as they are from the States. The terms are synonyms, and you learn about both in Canadian RE law courses, but expropriation is the only one term used in Canada - just as you have indicated. I know around New York there are places near transit stations where eminent domain is used to also describe - if I heard this correctly from him - private interests being assisted through eminent domain, possibly by the local county or mun to assist in assembly of sites. In that case you do get those situations where one house remains surrounded by 35 storey towers, as you have at Broadway and Redpath, for example. It`s honestly to the benefit of the holdout, given their property value has just dropped - both below that of an assembly piece, and also below the value it would have been on its own before any assembly, given the new external obsolescence of the tall towers around it. (Unless they enjoy living below towers. I bet there are a few of us on UT who might live there and add a skylight or two, to our own risk. ;))

Back