I'm curious about the water levels thing. If that area is so saturated with water that they can't build a small pedestrian tunnel through it, then how is it stable enough to build huge 50+ storey skyscrapers on? How is it firm enough to support the Gardiner? I get that they could build a foundation to keep the water out of a building, but how can then even build buildings like this on water-logged ground?

Of course they can (think the Harbourfront LRT tunnel from Union Station, and ironically it did suffer from extensive water seepage necessitating multiple expensive remediations)- but given the challenges, it will be expensive and disruptive to build.

AoD

Bridge Architect said:
We always want to rip down the Gardiner because we think it separates the city from the waterfront, but it's the rail-lands that separated us from the water — never the Gardiner. It's because of the Gardiner that we can do this. Torontonians still think they’re separated from the waterfront. We're proving that we’re not.

Do we agree with this?

I'm curious about the water levels thing. If that area is so saturated with water that they can't build a small pedestrian tunnel through it, then how is it stable enough to build huge 50+ storey skyscrapers on? How is it firm enough to support the Gardiner? I get that they could build a foundation to keep the water out of a building, but how can then even build buildings like this on water-logged ground?

The foundation of the buildings reaches down to the bedrock. It may transfer vibrations more. When they were digging for this building and scrapping the floor to level it, all the buildings were vibrating. However, it should be more stable then the buildings up the hill.

The weight of the buildings keeps them anchored onto bedrock. The problem with a hollow tunnel is it will actually want to float to the surface if it's underwater. It would need to be anchored to the bedrock, which would be very expensive.

The weight of the buildings keeps them anchored onto bedrock. The problem with a hollow tunnel is it will actually want to float to the surface if it's underwater. It would need to be anchored to the bedrock, which would be very expensive.

So that's the reason why Southcore's PATH connections are +15's.

The are some underground PATH connections planned for the Southcore. The connection to 1 Yonge will run underground, as will the connection between Maple Leaf Square and 16 York/Ãce. That one's going to make a lot of people crazy in the Fall of 2015 (if it goes ahead when planned) as they will have to close York Street between Lake Shore and Bremner for months to dig it. For some reason it cannot be tunnelled.

Sorry for the low quality
image-15.jpg

image-11.jpg

image-9.jpg

From last week, before the walkway

RBC - 2.jpg

Attachments

• RBC - 2.jpg
    RBC - 2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 530
I was down there this morning snapping away. Look for more photos early next week.

PATH Bridge by Marcanadian, on Flickr

We probably should be talking about this in the Harbour Plaza thread, since that's where the bridge is going. The bridge between Harbour Plaza and Waterpark Place III should be up next month.

Back